PDA

View Full Version : Why only 3 times a week ?

TzuChan
04-20-2003, 05:41 AM
Hey,

I was wondering, you guys always seem to stress that you practice a maximum of 3 times a week when it coms to fitness/weights. But why is that ? I notice in my class when they are training for a championship they get this really intense training program for two months before the tourney, which includes running every day, fitness every day, MA every day, except for sunday. So why is it bad to generally train more then 3 times a week ? Like pushups etc... why would that be bad ?

prana
04-20-2003, 06:43 AM
maybe it should be phased this way...

you shouldnt work the SAME muscle groups in POWER or POWER ENDURANCE more than 3 times a week. Fit athletes can do 4-5 without getting injured but its a fine line....

Cyborg
04-20-2003, 07:24 AM
It would only be bad if you were sore and trained the next day hard enough to slow recovery. PTP trains 5 days a week but doesn't leave you sore, kettlebells trains five days a week and leaves you sore but you vary the intensity with only one really hard day.

TzuChan
04-20-2003, 09:31 AM
Well can you guys help me out with what I'm doing then ?
I don't think it's a hard training at all, I'm never sore the next day at all. It's just stuff I do to keep in good shape, not to look like rambo.

So I go like this :

-Stretching, especially for split practice
-15-10-8-8 Pushups, and I wait about 10 seconds in between
-15-10-8-8 For working my abdomen (lie flat on the ground, knees up, and then touch my heels exercise..)
-15-10-8-8 Ellbow to knee abdomen exercises (where you kinda turn around all the time)
-Idem sets but then for the following :
-> Front Shoulder
-> Upper shoulder
-> Back shoulder
-Biceps (just some dumbbel stuff, the most normal thing you can do, so just lifting it up and putting it down)

And that basically it, ow yes, I set myself in a good rooted a sunken stance, to get stronger legs.. but I do that while studying, so not really part of the 'training'.

This takes about 10 Minutes, so it's really not much in my opinion. Can I do this daily without having problems with body growth or anything ?( yes I'm very concerned with this, don't ask me why, it's like a trauma or something)

Shaolin-Do
04-21-2003, 07:04 AM
I would suggest....
When you finish your workout routine once,
Do it once more.
:)
Erm.... Cant tell you how much lifting is going to affect growth, dont know how old you are.
if you are under 18, be VERY careful w/lower back and rotator cuffs. (in your shoulders)
Theres also a couple other growth plates in the back you gotta be careful with... But for the most part, push ups, sit ups, dips, horse stance, ect... Shouldnt really give you a problem.

Robinf
04-21-2003, 08:07 AM
Are you leaving out your back on purpose?

Muscles need time to recover. Three days a week gives a day in between for the muscles to recover. Cardio, however, can be done everyday which also works other muscles a the same time, but not with the intensity.

TzuChan
04-21-2003, 09:54 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Are you leaving out your back on purpose?

Don't tell me I'm still leaving my back out of it lol ? :(
I thought the situps was good for my back, and then the pullups too, and then the exercises for the back of my shoulders too .. what else can I do ? Omfg .. you should know I'm doing this routine in first instance to have a good and healthy .. BACK ! :D

Omg :D

Robinf
04-21-2003, 10:08 AM
I didn't see pullups in your list.

Are you getting the results you want?

nospam
04-21-2003, 08:20 PM
Re: why 3x per week...as always, the wise and wonderfully eclectic Robinf nails the jumping push kick in the middle of the chest:D

3xs = proper recovery. find your groove over a period of time and go with it. Some people have great recovery times, especially youth. Of course us older folk know we just work out smarter and maximize outputs :)

nospam.
:cool:

TzuChan
04-22-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Robinf
I didn't see pullups in your list.

Are you getting the results you want?

I don't really know, I wouldn't mind seeing more abs though, it's flat and everything, but don't have them funky bricks yet ^^ I'm fit that's for sure, so I guess it's working yeah .. and my back shoulders are shaping up really fast btw, at least the upper back, lower back I see nothing change.

Robinf
04-22-2003, 05:19 AM
TzuChan,

Everyone's body is different. Your genetics may be that your abs won't show. Or, it could be you need more calories. Don't know. You'll have to experiment.

Glad your back is showing some results.

Nospam,

lol :D