PDA

View Full Version : Need a milk substitute

Cyborg
04-20-2003, 06:05 PM
Tried the "super squats" routine but lost weight instead of gaining as I can't drink milk, which they recommend consuming at least a gallon (!) a day. Any ideas on substitutes?:confused:

Preferably real food not some protein shake I have to go buy. (I still live at home and mooch off of my mums' good cooking):D

Aramus
04-20-2003, 06:38 PM
One gallon, there is no cheap replacement. Have you tried Organic Silk Vanilla (or another flavor) Soymilk? I think Silk is the brand. It is grittier, but works with cereal and is great with fruit smoothies.

Are you lactose intolerant? There is a lactose free milk (also expensive and not so great tasting).

monkey mind
04-20-2003, 10:33 PM
I switched from milk to Rice Dream (rice milk) a couple of years ago. I like the taste a lot better than soy milk. I don't think I'd drink a gallon a day of anything besides water though.

Guile
04-21-2003, 07:17 AM
Rice dream is good stuff, try it out

Cyborg
04-21-2003, 07:18 AM
Yes, I am lactose intolerant. Besides, I don't even like the taste of milk! I have reason to believe that soy isn't good for me, not sure (I'll check the stats) that rice milk has the protein. I like it on my cereal though.

Ironfist, how's your program going?

Shaolin-Do
04-21-2003, 07:39 AM
You are just looking for the extra protien?
Vitamins, lots of lean meats, and calcium pills are all you should need then... and lots of water. :)

fa_jing
04-21-2003, 08:29 AM
cans of tuna fish might help.

IronFist
04-21-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Cyborg

Ironfist, how's your program going?

I quit the Super Squats program after 3 days because I was getting unbearable headaches halfway through the set. I switched to 10 sets of 5 with 1:00 rest instead.

But I suck, I can't finish a freaking mass cycle because I either get big projects to work on in school, or sick, or both.

IronFist

trevorstalker
04-21-2003, 11:45 AM
Does it have to be "liquid protein" ?

Can't you shift to tuna, egg whites, beef liver or something else? Try blending some tuna on a blender and drinking it after your workout... funky-licious. :D

Seriously though, if you have to DRINK it by some reason, try some protein powder, I don't see any way around.

Peace.

Guile
04-21-2003, 01:34 PM
And protien powder is cheapest too! (per amount of protien per dollar amount)

monkey mind
04-21-2003, 10:04 PM
Ah, if it's protein you're after, this gives me another chance to plug quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah). Quinoa is a south american grain - it was the staple of the Inca empire - it has just about as much protein per gram as meat, its amino acid balance is pretty much ideal for humans, it cooks up easy like rice, & it's pretty tasty. Go to a health food store & check it out, all of you! :D

rubthebuddha
04-21-2003, 11:12 PM
why is monkey mind plugging it?

Guile
04-22-2003, 10:00 AM
What does Quinoa taste like?
Cooks like rice, but im sure it doesnt taste like it?

Cyborg
04-22-2003, 10:30 AM
I ate like a pig while on the program and it was a lot of protein. I assume the liquid would be more assimilable than solids. We raise our own beef and chicken and it's much more lean than what you find at the store. But I couldn't seem to eat enough of it to gain.

Guess I'm willing to try protein shakes... what kinds do y'all recommend? I prefer as natural as possible and as little dairy (milk) based as well. Thanks guys.

monkey mind
04-22-2003, 01:34 PM
No ulterior motive here - I'm just plugging quinoa because it's healthy, I love it, & I've found that most people haven't heard of it. Quinoa has a slightly nutty flavor but really, like rice, it's kind of bland on its own. I usually throw a veggie bouillon cube in when I'm cooking it. Try it out. I'm sure it's not for everybody but quinoa really is a good, healthy, cheap source of protein.

rubthebuddha
04-22-2003, 08:23 PM
coo, mm. got any links?