PDA

View Full Version : Learning Curve

Vapour
04-20-2003, 08:37 PM
Here is a question. Would you think internal arts will take longer to learn and become street effective than external arts?

jon
04-21-2003, 05:24 AM
Depends on the approch taken to training.

I dont really think 'internal' and 'external' come into it, i think it has much more to do with the training methodology of the school.

miscjinx
04-21-2003, 08:04 AM
"Would you think internal arts will take longer to learn and become street effective than external arts?"

Yes.

External arts go straight to technique.

Internal arts first start with learning a new way to move, and then go to technique.

This new way to move is more akin to a feeling and a mental trick of sorts, so there is no easy way to teach it directly - like a strike or throw. In my classes I will demonstrate how to move, but people do not recognize it immediately and can replicate it. It takes a month or so of watching and putting a hand on me and feeling how I move and then getting them to feel it as well.

After about 2-3 months students seem to have grasped what at least part of what they are trying to attain and do. I thank Mike Sigman for what he taught me and a method of showing/explaining it to another.

Now considering a crash course in internal movement takes at least 2-3 months before you even look at a technique, look at how much further an external school will get teaching techniques right off the bat. In 2-3 months, a crash course in self-defense (external) will put you far ahead street effective-wise than at an internal martial art school.

This is just the raw logic of it...external schools are ahead in the short-term game.

Now this all depends on school as well. I've seen some internal martial art schools start becoming street effective as early as 6 months to a year - but others say it takes 10 years and most of those never become street effective.

TaiChiBob
04-21-2003, 08:40 AM
Greetings..

Historically, yes.. by personal experience, yes.. internal arts train the whole being, for more than just fighting.. in the end, internal arts produce a more balanced individual (personal observation, not a scientific poll)..

The training never ends, in both camps i hope.. but, the matter of being street effective is where the debate will rage.. I don't think it will take substantially longer for an internal artist to become street effective, maybe 50% longer.. but, that's because i feel that most externalists believe they are street ready much sooner than they really are (personal observation)..

Be well...

looking_up
04-22-2003, 09:51 AM
I think the whole 10 year timeframe for taijiquan is for becoming a badass. Not invincible, but able to handle most situations with true skill. I'm sure there is a growing level of general effectiveness within the 10 year timeframe.

How long might it take to become a badass using "external" training? Probably close to 10 years also.

I'm sure this also implies continuous, consistent training.