PDA

View Full Version : more info on these excercises?

ed78
04-20-2003, 08:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there anyone out there who is actually training on any of those strength programs like the Iron Buddha Strength Set (100 reps three times per day, 7 days a week, for at least 3 years), the Goun Gee Kuen (also 3 times a day, daily, 3 years min.), or the "Snake Turns Over" (related to kundalini energy?--10 reps the first day, then add 1 rep a day til you reach 100 etc) the way they are prescribed by some instructors? Or, better yet, is there anyone out there who has actually finished one of these programs done for such numbers of reps etc?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------this was posted on anohter site. can anyone give me more info on these please. thanks

The Yellow Dart
04-21-2003, 06:45 AM
I've never heard of the other two, but I'm pretty sure "Goun Gee Kuen" is what we Hung Gar types refer to as "Gune Gee Fook Fu Kuen", aka Taming the Tiger or Subduing the Tiger.

It's one of the core forms of the system, known for building strength through stances, breathing, and dynamic tension.

Hope that helps!

IronFist
04-21-2003, 10:08 AM
Those sound like exercises taught by Sifu Allen of Green Dragon Studios. I've heard of all of them. Where did you hear them mentioned?

btw, I've never heard that you do them 3 times per day. Just once per day.

IronFist

Water Dragon
04-21-2003, 02:47 PM
Sounds like body changing exercises. I've finished the Squatting Monkey from Xing Yi and am currently doing the Tan Ging Hay (sp?) exercises from S. Mantis. Started Iron Body, but didn't finish. They change the way your body works. So far, they work well. I'm sure it has to do with how well of a formula you've been given though.

I'm sure you would get more benefit doing the bench press slow and controlled vs. bouncing the weight off your chest. But people do both...

ed78
04-21-2003, 03:04 PM
i got it from cyberkwoon.com someone asked this but never posted anything else. no one there had any info. Water Dragon, could you explain the two you are referring to please. if it is not o much trouble of course.

Water Dragon
04-21-2003, 03:21 PM
I can't really describe them well enough to do them Justice. There's no way I could describe them well enough for someone to practice them.

Basically they are compress-release exercises for power. You compress the body so that it compresses like a spring, and then you release. It trains you to use the whole body when fighting.

Well I THINK that's what they do. I can verify that I can hit probably 3-5 times harder after doing the Monkey than before. That's good enough for me :)

Black Jack
04-21-2003, 03:45 PM
Water,

Its cool that you use chinese traditional training methods. I find their are a lot of lost tidbits of knowledge in the past.

In regards to training is that your whole training program or do you do modern weightlifting, ya know, bench, squat, whathaveya.

Water Dragon
04-21-2003, 06:17 PM
Nah, don't do standard weight training. I don't even know what I can bench press, although I think it's around 130.

Water Dragon
04-21-2003, 06:20 PM
Oh yeah, the other part of your question: My whole training involves power generation exercises, body conditioning, stancework, formwork (strictly single form lines and "shadowboxing") a small amount of bagwork, footwork drills, the strength training from my other thread, cardio, and partner work when I can get it.

ed78
04-21-2003, 07:43 PM
anyone got any good references -book website- for these traditional strength training exercises?

Black Jack
04-22-2003, 07:06 AM
Sounds cool:)