PDA

View Full Version : Attn: H2O Dragon & 7*

Watchman
04-21-2003, 04:08 PM
I think one of you guys posted a link to some pics and examples of Shuai Chiao's 13 Naughty Boys exercises. If you still have the link, would you mind posting it again.

Thanks.

Water Dragon
04-21-2003, 06:05 PM
The website is www.combatshuaichiao.com

I also posted a little bit of my personal routine involving the Tai Po on the training forum.

SevenStar
04-21-2003, 11:00 PM
yeah, that thread is definitely worth a look.

Watchman
04-22-2003, 03:53 PM
Thanks guys! That's a lot of good info in your training post, WD.

I've got a question for both of you while we're on the subject of Shuai Chiao:

When training for the type of high-impact throwing and takedowns that both of you have talked about in the past, how have you specifically trained to get the type of impact on the slam you're looking for?

Other than the obvious method of breaking your training partners up on the floor, what other training methods/devices have you used to aid in the delivery power of the impact?

fa_jing
04-24-2003, 10:02 AM
I remember seeing a full-weight plastic man they were throwing around on a video...

Water Dragon
04-24-2003, 10:30 AM
Tough question. The first thing I'd like to do is defer to either MonkeySlap or GGL. They could both explain it 100 times better than I.

Basically, train your stances. You need to get to the point where you can walk through your stances while your dealing with the other person's weight.

Example: get in this position with your partner. You are body-to-body (torsos touching) Your left foot is to the outside of his right foot as follows-> your toes are behind his heel and your foot is at a 45 degree angle. Pick up your right foot in a ghost stance (crane stance) so that the toes of the right foot are pointing down and directly covering the left knee. Be sure and sink down as you do this.

To get the throw, all you have to do is stomp the right foot down into a front stance. As you stomp, your right leg is going to reap out his front leg (or both legs if you want to be nasty about it) Since the body is held on a 45 degree angle in our front stance, your torso is going to drive him backward. It's that two way force that is going to take him down hard.

-cont-

SevenStar
04-24-2003, 10:30 AM
spinal power... WD likes to describe things, and does it well - I'll let him. There's an issue of KF/QG from last year that has jet li on the cover and talks about "The One" - there is an article in it that has some basic piqua exercises. some of the exercises we do were in that article.

Water Dragon
04-24-2003, 10:36 AM
The above example just shows how stances can be used in fighting. The belt cracking will help you "yank" the body in one direction. The rock pole gives you the strength and balance to add oomph into the throws. The forms teach you how to move and deliver power while keeping the body structure efficient.

The hard part is getting into position. You have to be extremely close to make Shuai Chiao work, usually body-to-body contact. If you try to throw and you're too far away, you're gonna get clobbered.

SevenStar
04-24-2003, 10:41 AM
aye. same in judo, about position. I think I remember seeing a website somewhere that had one of the belt cracks... can't remember where it was though...

Oso
04-24-2003, 11:07 AM
WD, are you affiliated w/ Master Lin?
I was able to attend a seminar he did a couple of years ago, maybe 2000. It was a very good seminar.

Water Dragon
04-24-2003, 11:12 AM
Not directly. I study under MonkeySlap. MonkeySlap is a 20 year student of Dr. Brian Wu. Dr. Wu and Master Lin were both students of GrandMaster Chang. So I'm affiliated through the ACSCA, but not directly as a student of Master Lin.

He is amazing though, isn't he?

Oso
04-24-2003, 11:26 AM
yup yup. It was a good day. He had this little ape with him (that's totally a compliment) who helped teach a lot that day. That dude was just one ball of muscle.

It was a very basic seminar. Some drills and a few of the short 'forms'. The footwork for the throws was very different for me but obviously key to the SC approach. I liked it very much.

just curious, thanks.