PDA

View Full Version : Chen TJQ question!

Laughing Cow
04-21-2003, 07:18 PM
Hi All.

Maybe the more experienced and learned member knwo the asnwer to this puzzle.

Riddle me this, riddle me that.

Chen is normally split into large and small frames. (I am going by the definition in the village, btw)

Each has their own 1st & 2nd road(Yilu & Erlu), not too sure about the other unarmed forms very little info on them.

Now Chen tjq has a nice number of weapons forms (10 methinks).

Are those the same for large and small frame or are there different forms for them??

Cheers.

dezhen2001
04-22-2003, 02:44 PM
hey buddy, im not a chen guy (disclaimer incase im wrong :)) but just going by what i have seen my sihing and others do...

As far as i know, we dont teach Xiao Jia, only Lao and Xin jia yi and er lu forms. As far as i know, form the little i have seen and heard talked about, we dont have different weapons - but again i have seen little of the full syllabus.

i am really unclear on why the difference between Lao and Xiao jia is anyway so probably not much help.

i know that Lao and Xin jia teach different aspects of the same skill and have different emphasis on different things and parts.

But i do think, as with different students of the same teacher, the principles are the same but externally can look a bit different. I know the moves in the xiao jia are a little "tighter" than the more common Lao Jia, so i would assume that the weapons would reflect that more?

dawood

Laughing Cow
04-22-2003, 04:29 PM
Dawood:

There are still few teachers out there that teach "Xiao Jia", it appears to be mostly spread via the "ISCT" and via Chen Peishan & Chen Peiju.

There are a few non-affiliated teachers out there I think.

According to the website they tend to have the most schools in Japan & China, with only 1 school/Instructor listed in the following countries:
USA, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, China & Hong Kong.

Wujidude:

I enjoyed the article on J. Szymanski's site.

Yes, the progression is via Yilu and Erlu, but the forms and they way they are executed differ between Da Jia & Xiao Jia.

But are the weapons forms the same forms or do they differ too, I would assume that there are differences as would be with the unarmed forms.

Cheers.

Laughing Cow
04-22-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by wujidude

LC, it's only a guess on my part, since I've only watched (never practiced) Xiao Jia . . . but I suspect that there are differences in the way the weapons forms are executed between Da Jia and Xiao Jia as well--only because at the higher levels of skill, both would train weapons as extensions of the body, and the somewhat differing internal mechanics would result in differences in the external movements of the weapons. I believe that the general sequences of the weapons forms and the types of weapons trained (dao, guandao, jian, long pole, spear, etc.) are the same.

Thanks, that is what I also think.
So far I haven't been able to observe the Xiao Jia weapon forms myself, besides the little that is shown on Chen Peishan's Video.

Unfortunately there is still very little material in English available on Xiao Jia and most of that deals with the YiLu form.

I have also heard that Chen Peishan's book will be translated into english, making it 2 Books, 1 Video & 1 VCD covering the Yilu form.

Chen Liqing's book unfortunately is still only available in Chinese.

I am not aware of any material by Chen peiju. :(

Cheers.

Laughing Cow
04-23-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by wujidude
There is an English-language instructional book on Xiao Jia Yi Lu available here: http://www.pacta.homestead.com/index10.html

Got that one & the VCD.

Zhu Tian Cai, one of the more prominent Chen-style teachers from Chenjiagou, has a VCD with English subtitles on Xiao Jia's Yi Lu available here:
http://www.chen-taiji.com/e_shop/e-Shop_v1.0.htm

Need to look more cleosely into this one.

I don't know of any Xiao Jia weapons demonstrations on video. According to Jarek's article, certain elements in the Xiao Jia line don't seem to want to popularize the art, and have objected to proposed video projects already in the works.

I heard some rumours that the powers to be didn't want Chen Peiju do release her own Video. Which is strange as both she and Chen Peishan are Chairman of ISCT.

I know that she does the form slightly different to her Brother.

Unfortunately the Seminar with Chen Peiju and Chen Peishan at Chenjiagou was cancelled due to low attendance due to SARS. Nice sidetrip to Shaolin Temple was also planned.
:(

Cheers.

Cheers.

Ron Panunto
04-25-2003, 09:00 AM
The weapons forms of xiaoxia are different than the weapons forms of dajia. The choreography and the way in which the postures and transitions are performed are different, and there also apear to be some weapons forms taught in xiaoxia that are not part of the dajia curriculum. I practice weapons forms from both systems, so this is not just speculation.

Ron Panunto

zguy1
04-28-2003, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Laughing Cow
[B]

Got that one & the VCD.
Need to look more cleosely into this one.

Saw Zhu TianCai's xiaojia Yi-LuVCD.
His form is different from Fan ChunLei's form. Higher stance, no Mule kicks....
I think the form names are the same as the laojia...it is just that the way to execute them are different.

Laughing Cow
08-05-2003, 06:31 PM
Hi All.

For the fans of Chen Xiao Jia I jsut noted that both Frank Shierry & Jarek Szymanski offer some new Xiao Jia VCD's.

They contain first & second routine as well as weapon forms and the 108 form.
Total of 18 discs.

I ordered my set and with that I think I will have all the currently available VCD & Video on this style.
Atleast all that I can find. ;)

Unfortunately there are still some books that are not yet available in english or another language I can understand.

Cheers.