PDA

View Full Version : Observations

tparkerkfo
04-22-2003, 11:58 AM
Just thought I would point out some things. I notice many buzzwords are used a lot I see these terms in many posts:

Logic
Proof
Scientific
Openmindness
Closeminded
Political

The first thing is I have only seen a couple people that have shown any logic in their posts. It seems that if one is going to use these terms, they should atleast understand what they are. The ones that get me the most are the logic and scientific terms. They are used all around and yet the discussions are not logical at all. The premise is wrong in almost all of them as it the conclusion.

Proof. There is a big difference in proof and historical documentation vs oral tradition. Most things in wing chun can not be proven, at least not easily. People should really consider their proof. Speculation and theory is one thing, but proof is a different matter.

Then there is political comments. Anytime some one doesn't agree with some one else, they take it personal. Charges of being political or having an agenda is thrown around. What is ones agenda? Disagreeing means nothing about ones agenda or political. I don't think people understand what they are saying and are just throwing around terms. I guess people feel threatened and hate to be questioned. But the best things stand the test of time and inquiry. heck, Yip Man said that he might be decieving and one should test it for themselves. Why is this limited to the hands. Maybe it meant more than that. Check out the history as independantly verifiable.

Why I care, I don't know. I won't change any minds. The bickering, challenging, posturing, name calling, bantering, subversion, undermining, trolling, etc wont stop. No one will accept any proof contrary to what one beleives even if Yip Man was to raise out of the grave and deny or affirm things himself. LOL. This forum will continue to degrade most topics into a waste of space and only a few small gems will surface here and there.

Too much heat and not enough light
Tom
________
BODY SCIENCE (http://bodyscience.ws/)

reneritchie
04-22-2003, 12:21 PM
I won't say you did "good" with that post, but you did do "well". I can't scientifically prove it in a logical fashion, however :P

kj
04-22-2003, 02:33 PM
"Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. All people live in their own dream, in their own mind; they are in a completely different world from the one we live in. When we take something personally, we make the assumption that they know what is in our world, and we try to impose our world on their world.

"Even when a situation seems so personal, even if others insult you directly, it has nothing to do with you. What they say, what they do, and the opinions they give are according to the agreements they have in their own minds ..."

From "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz

The Four Agreements [to make with yourself] are:

[list=1]
Be impeccable with your word.
Don't take anything personally.
Don't make assumptions.
Always do your best.
[/list=1]

As simple as these four little agreements seem, all are much easier said than done, and require attention and effort. Yet they are as relevant for martial artists and online chat groups as for anyone else, anywhere.

Just a thought; over and out.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

tparkerkfo
04-22-2003, 03:28 PM
Hi KJ,

My mind is frazzled. Hasn't been a good day/week/month/year. LOL. I can't seem to focus. Then I come to these forums to "relax" and to loose myself in my hobby, only to find that it sucks worse the real life. LOL. This is much more fustrating. LOL. I have tried hard to learn much, and I find people throwing around these terms and what not. And I do take things like that personally, though I can usally care less about the historical stuff, though I am interested.

Any way, your quaote is refreshing and brings some perspective. As much as others are imposing their world, I guess I am doing the same only in a different manner. Wise words and I'll take note. Wishfully, I hope others do as well.

Tom
________
DC MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY (http://dc.dispensaries.org/)

anerlich
04-22-2003, 05:24 PM
Good stuff, Tom, KJ.

I'd just say don't take anything said on here too seriously. The only response to bombast and pomposity is laughter.

reneritchie
04-22-2003, 06:33 PM
Pearls! Y'all be strewing pearls!

Grendel
04-22-2003, 06:45 PM
Well said, all.

canglong
04-22-2003, 11:18 PM
KJ,

Thanks for the refresher. :)

kj
04-23-2003, 06:53 AM