PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Kempo Karate

Dark Knight
07-09-2001, 06:30 PM
I know that the Villari/USSD/Masters... style is not Kung Fu at the Below BB levels.

(If you want to discuss its effectivness thats another topic)

But I was wondering how many people here are in the style. there are hundreds of studios in the nation that belong to the organizations or are break offs, so there must be many members here in them.

Ted
07-09-2001, 07:19 PM
I trained in the Villari org for many years.

How about you?

Dark Knight
07-09-2001, 07:31 PM
I have been in the arts for 20 years. I did Villari Kempo for many years and taught it. When I left and studied other styles it actually helped the Kempo. I learned the indepth meaning of the forms, how to make the information work better through better training methods. Expanded on the Ju-Jitsu in the style and the Kung Fu.

The greatest weakness of the style is its greatest asset. Too much information. It isnt broken down and explored enough at the different levels.

huff
07-16-2001, 12:28 AM
I just started myself, I think it is a good system to start with but I do thing I will be looking for something more later. If any one can help me in finding a system that would help my growth in the martial art I would be very happy

Sum Sing Wong
07-16-2001, 05:35 AM
I have been studying Shao-Lin Kempo (don't know if Shaolin Kempo Karate is different or not) for about a year and a half now, and it combines Kempo, Kung Fu, and JJ.

Dark Knight
07-17-2001, 04:05 AM
Huff, like any system, get to your first degree. Its generic information up to that point. If you bounce around from style to style you will be a gret beginner and never get advanced.

This system will aloow you to get a feel for what works best for you and then you can go elsewhere to find a specialization in that area. you may find that you prefer the harder Karate side of the style or the grappling/throwing Ju-jitsu side. Or once you get into the Black Belt levels you may want to explore the kung fu side more like Steve D. has done.

The system is not Kung Fu at the below BB level, but it is effective and wherever you go it will give you a strong base to build on.

I have Blacvk belts in a couple styles and it has enhanced my origional training. But get to Black First.

huff
07-18-2001, 05:44 AM
I plan to get to black first. Then I feel like i want something more. Not sure what that is yet but I will find out.

Dark Knight
07-18-2001, 04:31 PM
Thats how I was, sometimes a journey is not external but internal. I spent a lot of time learning other styles (I have tons of forms). I hold black belts in a couple. But after a while you realize a kick is a kick, a punch is a punch.

Always have an open mind.

huff
07-18-2001, 10:10 PM
Where do you live. And what style do you find most effective, to you?

Dark Knight
07-18-2001, 10:56 PM
Im in Nevada

I found strengths in the different styles. I stand my ground and like to get a hold of people. I cant say that one style is the primary way of fighting for me. I like the trapping and agressivness I got from Kempo, I developed a lot of power from my time in Goju Ryu, and understand the importance of simplicity from TKD (even TKD has value)Ju-Jitsu blended very nicely with the Kempo (Buy some grappling and throwing tapes, the fit well)currently I am working out with an 8th in Ju-Jitsu. Parker kenpo helped me tighten everything up. The fluidity of Wah Lum and other Kung Fu styles.

When I fight I want to grab you, hit you hard a couple times, take you down and hit you hard a couple more times.

Experience is the best teacher. Stay in great shape and put on the gloves whenever you can. And dont be afraid to eat a few shots to give one back.

huff
07-19-2001, 04:59 AM
Well I have been in the Marin corp for the last 10 years where I learned alot of throws along with air and blood choaks. This is the first real martial arts training I have every recieved. And if you dont mind any information or anything (really) that you could tell me would be forever in your debt.

huff
07-19-2001, 05:03 AM
Sorry I changed my screen name to oxx

Theory without practise is like a cloud without rain!

Dark Knight
07-19-2001, 05:52 PM
Go to usjjf.org, they have 2 vidoes for sale of the world Ju-Jitsu Championships, they are about $25.00 each. It only comes around every 2 years, I like the layout of the 98 better than the 2000. It will give you an idea of ju-jitsu at a high level. I dont reccomend it to give a reason to go to ju-jitsu, but get it because the techniques are a lesson on their own. It opens with the self defense section first and a ton of techniques that flow with Kempo or Kenpo (I havent seen anyone here teach at that level of these competitors). Dont show it to your instructor but come to class with stuff that will impress his socks off ;)

huff
07-19-2001, 10:58 PM
Ill try to get my hands on the 98 if it is still being produced.

Theory without practise is like a cloud without rain!

Dark Knight
07-19-2001, 11:26 PM
Let me know what you think of it.