PDA

View Full Version : Hyper extention

Genesis
04-22-2003, 05:14 PM
hey people,

Just wondering if there were any of you who had tips for dealing with (read fixing) hyper extention injuries?

I have recently had on on a knee that took ages to heal, and last night at training did my elbow, and don't want to just wait for it to heal in its own time.

thanks in advance.

Ford Prefect
04-23-2003, 05:17 AM
Time is the only way. Glucosamine and Chondrotine supplements may help, but time is and will always be the most important factor.

Genesis
04-23-2003, 05:02 PM
I had a feeling that would be the case :( Oh well, thanks for the input.

mantis-1
04-24-2003, 10:16 AM
Dont hyper extend! what I mean is I usually see this in some beginers trying to put too much power into the moves too fast or too soon and then not being able to control the power, ease off the power a little and build it up slowly.

Becca
04-29-2003, 10:31 PM
Have you ever herd of "healing hands"? It is a combination of qi redirection, physical therepy and miophcial (sp?) deep tissue massage. It basiclly forces inflamed muscles to relax, allowing circulation to heal injuries more efficiently and taking the pressur off pinched nerves. It also goes into what you did to cause the injury and how to correct your body mechanics so you don't reinjure or agrivate you new collection of scare tissue. It can be a bit tricky to find a practice that offers it, though. Ask your instructor for a referral to a good massage therapy clinic or accupuncturist.

Becca
04-29-2003, 10:38 PM
Have you ever herd of "healing hands"? It is a combination of qi redirection, physical therepy and miophcial (sp?) deep tissue massage. It basiclly forces inflamed muscles to relax, allowing circulation to heal injuries more efficiently and taking the pressur off pinched nerves. It also goes into what you did to cause the injury and how to correct your body mechanics so you don't reinjure or agrivate you new collection of scare tissue. It can be a bit tricky to find a practice that offers it, though. Ask your instructor for a referral to a good massage therapy clinic or accupuncturist.

Genesis
04-29-2003, 11:12 PM
I will look into that Becca, thanks, and Mantis-1 yeah, I will try not to!

fragbot
04-30-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Genesis
[B]hey people,

Just wondering if there were any of you who had tips for dealing with (read fixing) hyper extention injuries?

As we chat, I'm here with a mildly hyper-extended elbow. I though I'd counter the juji and my compadre put it on a bit faster than I expected. I can honestly say I never want to hear my elbow pop again. Anyhow, I spent last night reading as much sports medicine stuff as I could and have determined the following:

estimated healing time: 3-6 weeks

treatment: ice and rest (I also add some anti-inflammatories for good measure--aspirin or ibuprofen). A sling if it's badly injured (mine isn't) and you want it immobilized.l

rehab: light curls through a range of motion after the injury is mostly healed

Now, if you want to speed up the healing, I'd start doing a sh**load of moderate-intensity aerobic work. In the past, I've noticed the increased circulation helps speed recovery. I got this recommendation from a personal trainer/usedta be a physical therapist friend of mine. It has worked well for both of us, but that's strictly anecdotal evidence. It's possible we're both just fit enough that we heal faster than average anyhow.

NOTE: I ain't a doctor, a lawyer, a preacher, or a pimp. As a result, this information is worth what you paid for it.

Becca
05-02-2003, 10:34 PM
Found an interesting site you might want to see...

fit4martialarts.com (http://fit4martialarts.com)