PDA

View Full Version : Are Certain Body Types Better For Certain Styles?

Shuul Vis
04-22-2003, 07:57 PM
Same as topic. discuss. lol

shaolin kungfu
04-22-2003, 08:01 PM
I think that a person can become great at a style regardless of body type.

On the other hand, I believe different styles play to different body types. A long range style may appeal to someone that is taller, just as a short range style would appeal to a midget, err, i mean short person.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Laughing Cow
04-22-2003, 08:04 PM
Rather than body-type I think it has more to do with age and other factors.

Cheers.

Shuul Vis
04-22-2003, 08:09 PM
The main reason i started this thread is because i really think there might be a style that is better suited to my body type. That type being tall, lean, quick and with very decent reach. I mainly have done wing chun in the past with some aikido and shaolin long fist. I am obsessed with the sticky flow of wing chun with both the hands and the legs but it is a style that specializes in close range fighting. I am just wondering if there is a style out there as specialized in long range fighting with which i might use my reach more effectively. I have a few ideas as to what but im interested in everyones suggestions.

fa_jing
04-22-2003, 08:17 PM
I think you could just emphasize certain aspects of the style to play to your advantages. You could do this with Wing Chun, stay back a little bit, then pick your moment to come in closer. If you were short, you could emphasize the short aspects of LongFist. It's not worth changing the style that you dig. Make it work for you.

Strategy wise, yes, make modifications.

Since you're into multiple styles, try to both exhibit your styles and yet transcend them, develop your personal fighting method, make certain techniques your own.

shaolin kungfu
04-22-2003, 08:20 PM
Don't stop taking a style your into just beacause of your body type. Chances are if you like it more than a long range style, you'll be better at it.

Shuul Vis
04-22-2003, 08:21 PM
I totally understand what you are saying fa jing. In fact i try hard to do exactly that. Im just curious if there are any styles out there that suit different body types more so than other types. There is no way in hell ill quit wing chun. Just curious thats all.

FatherDog
04-22-2003, 09:06 PM
Certain techniques are better suited to certain body types.

Most styles should have sufficient variety of techniques that any body type can find a good number that work well for them, and make them their repertoire.

Some styles have more techniques suited to a certain body type than others.

Which ones are which? I dunno; I don't know that many styles :p :D

LEGEND
04-22-2003, 09:41 PM
"Im just curious if there are any styles out there that suit different body types more so than other types."

I believe so! I actually debated about this within self defense/real fighting circles. From the fights and sparring I've been in...and seen...I've noticed that smaller guys have greater success on bigger guys with grappling techs. Why??? Difficult for a small guy to go toe to toe in striking against bigger guys. Bigger guys usually have longer limbs and are great at boxing/thai boxing...smaller guys have difficulty reaching and getting into range. Good example would be Mike Tyson vs. Lennox Lewis. They used different styles of boxing...and unfortunate...Mike couldn't get close enuf to get those hooks in. Bruce Lee however was said to be lightening quick in his closing the gap to strike. Taller guys may want to sit back and get the clinch for knees and elbows.

Xebsball
04-22-2003, 09:44 PM
i think there are styles of fighitng wich might be better for certain body types WHITIN certain martial arts style.

Serpent
04-22-2003, 11:38 PM
OK, picture a midget in a World TaeKwonDo tournament and tell me he didn't pick the wrong style for his body type.

(Mind you, if he made it to the World's....)

shaolin kungfu
04-22-2003, 11:44 PM
That's a very funny mental picture!:D

Serpent
04-22-2003, 11:52 PM
I'm still laughing.

;)

David Jamieson
04-23-2003, 03:38 AM
for all the basics , fundamentals and primary fighting techniques, body type doesn't really have anything to do with anything.

When you start getting into subtleties of styles and some of the more obscure and unusual techniques and practices then you have to fit a mold.

most people, and I mean like more than 99% of you who practice martial arts will never go beyond the basics and a few forms, so i wouldn't worry about it. If you do go forward beyond the basic then you' definitely find out where what matters in regards to your shape.

cheers

Water Dragon
04-23-2003, 06:45 AM
In Shuai Chiao, you develop your own strategy out of the availablle techniques. Being tall and thin, my game revolves around sweeps, reps, kick outs, etc.

Someone who is short and stocky may focus on hip tosses, shoulder throws, pick ups and lifts.

Just because you KNOW a system well enough to teach it doesn't mean you will be able to use all the techniques in a fight.

I know that BJJ is this way. So far, Xing Yi seems to be the same as well.

David Jamieson
04-23-2003, 06:52 AM
I agree with that WD-

But I would add in, again, that many don't know what their strengths are for some time and definitely won't see it til it comes through the hands.

cheers

Water Dragon
04-23-2003, 06:57 AM
LOL. You're not supposed to agree with me Kung Lek. Now I have to go look for a new nemesis :mad:

:D

MasterKiller
04-23-2003, 07:09 AM
Isn't that really the whole purpose of learning a multiple-animal style? Finding which animal best suits you and using those techniques as your primary style?

Shaolin-Do
04-23-2003, 07:37 AM
hey WD, how do you pronounce Shuai Chiao?
shoo-ai Chi-ow?
Yes it is masterkiller, unless you wish to learn golden cacaroacha!
but for that you must have attained "demigod" level.
I really wish I could learn dragon specifically... I dont think I have seen 1 single school which specializes in it, and Ive searched all over the web...
:(

MasterKiller
04-23-2003, 07:48 AM
SD,

I read an article in another, unnamed, kung fu magazine about a pure Dragon style. They primarily used the fan as a weapon, and emplyed lots of high kicking technqiues. That's about all I remember.

I know a Shaolin dragon form, but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

Shaolin-Do
04-23-2003, 07:52 AM
Im supposed to learn green dragon broadsword this month, but straight up dragon would be cool.

Golden Arms
04-23-2003, 12:27 PM
In answer to the original question...

Your potential because of your build would POSSIBLY but not surely be realized in an art like Choy Lay Fut, Or Tibetan Lama/Crane styles. They utilize the powerful circular strikes that you would have good range with a lot.

As for Dragon Style.... Do a search for Lung Ying on google, or look for a school that teaches it.

Hope that helped.

fa_jing
04-23-2003, 01:53 PM
Another cool tactic for a long-limbed practicioner is that after you have closed the gap and are in-fighting, take a step back and disengage, and stick 'em with a long punch or kick.

SevenStar
04-23-2003, 02:32 PM
Haven't read the thread, so this may have been said, but it's more technique based than style based. Take judo for example, a short sticky guy will have a lower center of gravity and a wide base. ippon seionage, uschi mata, harai goshi and several other such throws may work better for him.

If you are tall and lanky, harai tsuri komi ashi, de ashi barai, o uchi gari, etc. There are over 60 throws in the style - you can easily find ones that suit you. This will apply to pretty much all other styles also.

Then, you may have things that work for you, even though they aren't your body type - I'm short and stocky, but sweeps are my bread and butter.