PDA

View Full Version : plum blossom sword form

draggin dragon
04-23-2003, 01:53 AM
Although I have studied a few different martial arts, I am relatively new to the study of kungfu & tai-chi.
I have been studying the 24 tai -chi form for a few months. I have been briefly introduced to some preliminary exercise drills, some staff work & a little iron-wire intro as well during the same time period. My instructor teaches choy-li-fut & hung-gar.
This past week he introduced me to the plum blossom sword form. I was immediately intrigued by this form. It has piqued my interest like nothing I have experienced to date in my exposure to the martial arts.
Can anyone direct me to a resource (book, video tape, internet resource) that can provide me with further information on this form. I am especially looking for something that illustates the form step-by-step.
Thank you.

GARRA DE TIGRE
04-23-2003, 09:13 AM
there is a videotape of gm tat mau wong ( choy lay fut ) performing muy fah darn gim ( plum blossom sword form ) in his panther series .

good luck

Fu-Pow
04-23-2003, 10:07 AM
That form is also called Fu Mei Dahn Do or Tiger Tail Single Sword

monk weed
04-23-2003, 11:11 AM
draggin dragon

The forms you buy on tape that are avalible out there differ from branch to branch so tat wongs plum blossom form may be different from the one you are learning. many branches have the "plum blossom" name in their forms and are not necessarily the same one. like fu pow said tat wongs plum blossom sword is also called fu mei dahn do.

yutyeesam
04-23-2003, 01:13 PM
Really, Fu-Pow?
I thought Fu mei dahn do was the Tiger's Tail Broadsword form.
I thought our straightsword form was simply called Mui Fah Gim...but there could be another name that I wasn't aware of.

At any rate, I don't know how easy it is to locate Tat Mau Wong's Panther Production video of this, b/c it isn't on Panther's website.
But it is here:

http://members.aol.com/kctaekwondo/vidh2.html

Just look for this title:
Hung Sing Choy Lay Fut Kung-Fu: Empty Hand Forms: Pressure Point Striking Fan: Plum Blossom Double Edge Sword
Master Tat Mau Wong. 53 min. $29.95

I don't know how valid this online shop is, so you may want to contact them first to see if they are still in business, or for that matter, legit.

CLFNole
04-23-2003, 01:52 PM
The gim form is generally referred to as Lung Hahng Gim - Dragon Walking Gim. This form is quite basic and is not a good gim form in my opinion. Lee Koon Hung taught his daughters and some girls in the school this form but none of the guys. Its a bit - la la de if you know what I mean. The broadsword form Fu May Dan Do is also referred to as Fook Fu Dan Do.

Peace.

I think the poster above needs to specify a do or a gim, he says simply plum blossom sword - broadsword or straight sword needs to be clarified.

Fu-Pow
04-23-2003, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I thought he meant broadsword, not gim because the Chan Family calls their broadsword Mui Fah Dan Do.

I agree with CLF Nole, I'm not a big fan of the gim set (seen it don't know it.)

I'm really more interested in learning the Chen Taiji gim set.

yutyeesam
04-23-2003, 06:47 PM
CLFNole/Fu-Pow,
What is the better Gim form taught in the LKH lineage?

CLFNole
04-23-2003, 06:58 PM
There isn't one in our lineage. CLF isn't famous for its gim sets anyhow, its more common in northern styles. Our staff forms are more well known.

Peace.

GARRA DE TIGRE
04-23-2003, 07:31 PM
yut yee sam :

i the master sam lee ( irish choy lay ) , he make mention of a few choy lay fut gim forms .

clf nole :

the walking dragon gim is the same set master tat wong have in his panther tapes ?

GARRA DE TIGRE
04-23-2003, 07:41 PM
fu pow ;

master mak teach this gim form in his kwoon ?

draggin dragon
04-23-2003, 11:07 PM
Sorry--I neglected to mention that it was the straight sword form. It may not be the best, or most impressive straight sword form available in the Southern arts--but keep in mind that it is the first one that I have been exposed to.

A related question. My daughter who goes to class with me is very interested in learning a single fan form for competition. She has no experience with the fan. What fan forms are available in CLF or Hung-Gar? Which one should she ask to be taught?

Sadbot
04-24-2003, 12:47 AM
Sorry but I think your Sifu would be best to advise your daughter. Perhaps you can ask him what is appropriate?

Jabb
04-24-2003, 05:26 AM
In Chan family CLF I know atleast one gim set, ching lung gim. Is this mentioned above with different label? Maybe lung hahng gim? Dont know.

Sho
04-24-2003, 07:54 AM
The most common fan forms in Choy Lay Fut are probably Fei Lung Sin (flying dragon) and Seui Sau Sin (breaking hands).

tparkerkfo
04-24-2003, 09:39 AM
Just to add,

Hung Gar, from my experience, does not have a Fan Form. However, Hung Gar has borrowed many of the weapon forms so there may be some teachers out there who do teach a Fan Form. It is not part of my lineage and I have yet ran into one that has it.

I am not sure how other schools are ran, but I always get a quesy feeling when I hear people wnat to learn specific form. I think all students do want to learn certain forms, but it seems like too many are actually expecting to learn certain forms. Many teachers teach in a specific pattern. Some have some flexibility, but forms are typically still taught at certain stages. Some are much more advanced than others ones. I don't know where the straight sword or fan rank in Choy Li Fut, but I would just caution against focusing on these forms unless you have a choice. I have heard the straight sword is typically an advanced form for most systems. There is a lot more finese and skill in order to use it. I have no idea about the fan.

Just to through it out,
I want to learn the long pole, Butterfly knives, and chain whips. LOL

Tom
________
Fix Ps3 (http://fixps3.info/)

Fu-Pow
04-24-2003, 11:08 AM
master mak teach this gim form in his kwoon ?

No I've never seen him teach anybody the gim. We do have a fan form though which in my opinion is very nice.

Incidentally, I might mention that I believe the gim and fan are not a traditonal southern style weapons. They are more associated with northern kung fu.

Traditional Southern Kung Fu weapons are the staff, spear, dahn do, butterfly knives, etc. So CLF is real strong in these but less strong in some of the weapons associated with northern kung fu.

As my Sifu explained it to me, CLF masters of old had a kind of "me too" attitude. They want to be as comprehensive as possible so if they came across a weapon form they liked they would slightly modify and adapt it into the CLF curriculum. Then they could say "we have that weapon also. "

Another thing about the Gim, as my Taiji teacher explained to me, is that it is harder to learn than the Dahn Do. Why? Because the curved shape of the Dahn Do blade makes it easy to make nice fluid and circular movements. Where as with the straight sword it is much harder to do this because the blade is straight.

So in my opinion the Gim is a more advanced weapon and you might want to start by learning the Dahn Do.

Jabb
04-24-2003, 11:35 AM
I always thought that CLF had weapons from northern systems aswell because of the founder of CLF (was it Chan Heung, Jeong Yim, or somebody else) had teachers from both southern and northern shaolin. Atleast this is what I've heared, youve propably heared it too, but what is the truth? :D

illusionfist
04-24-2003, 02:10 PM
Although not common throughout all of the WFH lineages, the fan is within the Hung Gar system as taught by the Tang Fong branch. Tang Fong was well known for his fan skills.

Fu-Pow
04-24-2003, 02:22 PM
I always thought that CLF had weapons from northern systems aswell because of the founder of CLF (was it Chan Heung, Jeong Yim, or somebody else) had teachers from both southern and northern shaolin. Atleast this is what I've heared, youve propably heared it too, but what is the truth?

You are correct, tt does have weapons from southern and northern kung fu traditions but what I'm saying is that I doubt they all came from Chan Heung or his Shaolin teachers. Weapons like the fan, horse bench, etc. are not "Shaolin" weapons. They are weapons of the common people.

People like to reduce the history of martial arts to single "pure" lineages. This is ludicrous. Kung Fu history is incestuous. What I mean is that actual lineages (not the recorded ones) blend together and split apart again over and over again throughout Chinese MA history. So never get into the trap of thinking you study a "pure" style and someone elses is "adulterated". There are good teachers and bad teachers. Good students and bad students. And there is always room for improvement of the individual and to the style as well.

JAZA
04-24-2003, 06:38 PM
in choyleefut.com.au you can see a short clip of tamo gim.

Serpent
04-24-2003, 09:03 PM
The gim and fan are both very well established CLF weapons, at least in Chan Family CLF. And the gim is a far more advanced weapon than the dan do.

Jabb
04-25-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Fu-Pow

People like to reduce the history of martial arts to single "pure" lineages. This is ludicrous. Kung Fu history is incestuous. What I mean is that actual lineages (not the recorded ones) blend together and split apart again over and over again throughout Chinese MA history. So never get into the trap of thinking you study a "pure" style and someone elses is "adulterated".
True. It would be better if people wouldn't always argue about the lineages, just stick on the 'hard training'. It doesn't matter who created the system and which lineage is better (and I think there isn't a "better" lineage than others), but it matters that the system is out there to be learned and to be passed for the next generation.

GARRA DE TIGRE
04-25-2003, 07:35 PM
FAN FORM :

master li siu hung have a instructional videotape featuring instructor joe kaith for the fling dragon fan . is a really very cool form , fast and with a lot of fighting street techniques .
you can order the tape at www.leekoonhungkungfu.com