PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

Viper555
04-23-2003, 08:21 PM
How do you prepare yourself for an attack when you have no idea what is coming? Say for example you are arguing with someone and they get mad enough to hit you. Who knows what they'll throw at you. It's even worse when it is an untrained fighter who just goes wild with throwing all kinds of crazy stuff and is totally unpredictable. How do you train for that? Is there even any way to train for that? And what if the person is a friend or someone that you don't seriously want to hurt and they go crazy trying to hurt you? What do you do? I was just wondering about this because it has come close to happening to me a couple of times. Some of my friends have bad tempers and arguments over stupid things could turn into a fight. I really don't think it is worth losing the friendship over something stupid like who did something first or something absurd like that. If they strart trowing crazy stuff at you how would you get them under control without seriously hurting them? If it were just a person I didn't know after they threw the first punch or whatever they decide to do I would just start punching them and kicking them but, I'm not quite sure what I would do if it was one of my friends that i've known since the 3rd grade.

Also, Bruce Lee frequently said that you should train so that if you are attacked it will happen. Is there actually a way to tell if someone is going to hit you before they do so that you can a least give the it a try? I'm not really sure how if you have no idea an attack is coming that you should just expect it to happen.

One more thing what kind of techniques would you guys use if it was just someone you didn't care about and they just went crazy with pushing and trying to hit you at the same time?

SevenStar
04-23-2003, 08:48 PM
That's where the concept of no mind comes in. you want to ideally be at a point in your training where you just react naturally. As far as techniques against friends, grappling would be great.

Sadbot
04-24-2003, 12:43 AM
Well, first off if he is my friend he is not going to be throwing punches at me. I don't care how drunk he is. If your friends are going to punch at you then I'd seriously reavulate your friendships.

As per trying not to really hurt someone I think grappling, joint locks are your best bets. Possibly open hand strikes might have some application depending on the situation. It all depends on the situation of course. If someone is really swinging at me I am going to fight back; you punch me expect the same in return plus a lil' sum sum.