PDA

View Full Version : Which ones shaolin which is not

dre_doggX
07-07-2001, 04:43 PM
Earlier some people said that these were not kungfu forms http://www.mullins-shaolin.com/videos/

but somebody later said that these forms were :http://www.shaolincenter.com/video/clips.shtml

could you tell me the main difference between the way both executed the forms. some said in qoute "shaolin do is a shaolin dont" but someone also said on this forum that the videos on shaolincenter ( which calls its self shaolin karate) looks lin a typical kungfu school. so whats the difference.

Andre Lashley

Brad
07-07-2001, 05:31 PM
I can't view them, since I've got a slow connection. Is there any way to download them instead of streaming?

Shaolindynasty
07-07-2001, 05:40 PM
I don't see a difference stay away from both of these schools! Gi's and belts are a bad sign although they don't completely condem a school they are a good warning. They also call their school Shaolin Karate and it does look like karate even if the forms are kungfu they are done with a karate flavor. Speaking of Shaolin Do did anyone see the article in inside kungfu this month by them on Hua Kungfu from Hua Shan! Ugh they are shameless! :rolleyes:

Witness the Dynasty!!!
New Site! www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

Brad
07-07-2001, 05:59 PM
Even though I can't see the videos, their history seems pretty messed up. And this is a Shaolin-Do school isn't it? First of all, since when did O-mei and Wudang have Shaolin Temples? They list Chen and Yang style as being from Wudang but this is absolutely false. Even though some call Taiji a Wudang art(cause it's internal) they're family styles, originating from Chen Villiage. And I may be wrong, but doesn't Tan Tui mean flicking leg, or something along those lines? Not Tan family leg techniques? I think it's pretty obvious SOMEONE just flat out made a bunch of this stuff up.

Brad
07-07-2001, 06:06 PM
And they DO claim the 24form as Shaolin! It also really baffles me why they teach 24 from(a form of simplified Taiji and intended for very beginer level) AFTER Chen and Yang Long Forms.

Radhnoti
07-07-2001, 06:56 PM
I've wondered why they teach the 24 form after the long forms as well Brad.
Just so you know Andre, both these sights are for shaolin-do schools, just different locales. The forms when performed in person should look the same as they were taught by the same grandmaster. If one set of videos looks better than the other it's all angles...superior software...better lighting...higher compression...who knows? The internet REALLY isn't the best media for judging forms.
Shaolin dynasty...it's funny you say shaolin-do is shameless. Weren't you on these very boards not so long ago plugging a seminar? :cool:
Hope it went off well for you, by the way.

-Radhnoti

GLW
07-07-2001, 07:06 PM
On looking at the form and the basics...or lack thereof...

If you have to ask if it is Chinese Martial Arts, you have NEVER touched Chinese Martial Arts...and from the looks of things, they haven't either.

You can put a fancy body n an old VW beetle...but it is still a VW beetle. Youcan do a Chinese form without knowing chinese basics and it is still going to be Karate...or whateer you start with and NOT Chinese.

dre_doggX
07-07-2001, 11:33 PM
Iam better off learning in China tell then I seek a kungfu instructor.

Andre Lashley

Shaolindynasty
07-08-2001, 12:41 AM
Yeah I plugged a seminar but only because it was revelant to the conversation. I am also truthful in everything I say. Sin is saying that Wudang Emei and Hua mountains are all Shaolin or have created their Kungfu from Shaolin. I am not against commercial schools but I am against decieveing the public in anyway reguarding what you teach. With the large amount of learning material at peoples disposal today deciveing people ignorant of the arts is getting way too easy! I wasn't upset when kungfu qigong mag had that article with them going to the south Shaolin temple because it was only about their trip but IKF publishes this crap with Sin posing in the Karate Kid crane saying it is HuaShan's kungfu now I'm mad! My Sifu was fortunate enough to study for a while under Taoist master Guan Sai Hung from Hua Shan and tape several sessions with him. I have to say even from the pictures it in no way resembled Hua Shan's martial arts or Qigong!

Witness the Dynasty!!!
New Site! www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

shaolin_knight
07-08-2001, 04:07 AM
let's not start this again.

Inquisitor
07-08-2001, 08:37 AM
The same thing is what got me so aggravated a few weeks ago... I saw the article in Inside Kungfu about "Hua Fist," and I was disgusted. Sin The is cheating people out of their money. Radhnoti, it's nice to see that you continue to perpetuate the Shaolin-Do fraud, even after recognizing that Sin The teaches modern wushu Taijiquan forms. I particularly enjoy how you replaced your smug :rolleyes: with the :cool: just so you don't appear to be as much of a jack@ss. Why don't you just come out and say that you are better than the rest of us. It's obvious you feel that way.

Seriously guys, if they haven't realized the truth by now, they are either fools or active participants.

Radhnoti
07-08-2001, 08:27 PM
I'm just a guy with a year's experience in shaolin-do. I tried other (mostly JMA) styles first, and I like this one the best. I can't comment on the history of "modern wushu" forms, I've not been around long enough. I've always been upfront about my beginner status, and I don't think I've ever portrayed myself as any kind of expert. I have NO clue what makes you think I feel superior in any way...other than the fact that I step forward and say what shaolin-do has meant to me. I'm sorry that it bothers you that someone has a different opinion about SD than yours, but I guess that's life. Hopefully, in all other aspects of your life, no one challenges anything you say and your word is seen as law. Meanwhile, on this particular forum, (unless banned, or Gene Ching requests my absence) I'll continue to make you think I'm a Jack@ss by speaking my mind.
This one's for you Inquisitor:
:rolleyes:
:D

-Radhnoti

Drunken1
07-08-2001, 08:30 PM
I was also taken aback at the article in IKF, My question now is, What do Hua(wah)shan arts look like? I've always been curious, and in the movies, they've always been known for their Swordplay, also, does anyone have any info on K'un lun martial arts?

Royal Dragon
07-09-2001, 10:13 PM
I think it might be helpful if some of us described the differences between karate and Kung Fu. Since I have only a little karate experiance, I am probually not the best choice for this, but I'll take a stab at it.

First Chinese styles are much more flowing and have smoother connections to and between each movement. karate (in my humble experiance) seems to have more extreme power and repititious movements in thier forms. Karate seem's (too me) to be more about drilling basics over and over again in the same form, whereas Chinese arts are more like texts of movment, both techniques and exercises to aid in mastering those techniques.

The pacing is also differnt.
Karate is very robotic in it's pace, whereas Chinese styles have a varied pacing where one moment you are moving fast and furious, and then slower and softer the next.

Southern Kung fu styles are most like karate, but even there, you generally see deeper stances and varied pacing to the movement as oposed to the robotic, stiff pacing of the japanese and Korean counter parts. Also, you often see a wider variety of movements, and smoother transitions and directional changes, even in the most karate like Southern Chinese forms. For example, in Tai Tzu's Four corners form, even though it could be mistaken for a Karate kata, it contains some obvious Chi Na applications, the pace changes through out the form and it has a number of circular movments and unique directional changes that are easy to spot to the educated observer.

Can anyone else out ther help me describe this better? especiall those of you that have done both Karate and Kung Fu? I think this might be a benifit to those confused by the tangled web of Shaolin Do.

Royal Dragon