PDA

View Full Version : Instructor weight

Taomonkey
04-24-2003, 02:40 PM
the weight thread got me thinking,,
Would you discount an instructor if he or she was over weight?
Several systems seem to have masters and GM who have a little belly, some a lot of belly. What does that say to you?

shaolin kungfu
04-24-2003, 02:45 PM
A lot of the older kung fu guys do seem to have a belly, don't they.

If the instructor was massively overweight( over 300) I would definitely question their number of practice hours. A little overweight wouldn't be much cause for concern, IMHO.

GreyMystik
04-24-2003, 02:46 PM
absolutely not. it says to me that some have a little belly, some have a lot of belly. just like you said :)
now, if they are completely out of shape i.e. could not do anything they asked you to do, even basics, then it would have a bearing...

norther practitioner
04-24-2003, 02:47 PM
Depends really, I've seen some with some belly do some things you don't think is possible by someone their size....
I've also seen some that I have no idea how they ever expect to set an example to students when they can't even do half the stuff that they are teaching. Some of these senseis and such at the local tournies know their stuff, and look good doing it. Others are fat, can't kick to save there lives... and I just kind of shrug.

Taomonkey
04-24-2003, 02:49 PM
yeah thats true, but I met a suposed Kempo GM once, the guy was a little heavy, but he was bustin out if you know what I mean. his skin was tight, his movement was stiff, about as flexable as a stick man. I kept thinking thte guy was going to pop.

on teh opposite end, I met a Kun Tao master who had a big belly and was a big guy, but he was so fast I couldnt believe my eyes, good flexability and amazing speed. you wouldnt think it from looking at him.

But thats not what my forst impression was, whats your first impression?

[Censored]
04-24-2003, 04:06 PM
ETMF syndrome, actually.

I wouldn't object to an overweight instructor. I would object to an instructor who can't demonstrate what they are trying to teach.

Nick
04-24-2003, 04:35 PM
Not really. People tend to get a gut as they get older.

Later...

guohuen
04-24-2003, 05:21 PM
Most definitely. Anyone with more than a little paunch, I find out their lifestyle and make darned sure I'm doing something different.

Water Dragon
04-24-2003, 08:23 PM
I've come across two kinds of big bellies. There's the fat-man, out of shape, soft and squishy belly.

But I've come across more than a few CMA guys with a big ol Buddha bellies. But when you touch it, it's hard and springy. If you've ever touched a pregnant woman's belly when she's in the third trimester, it feels sort of like that.

I have no idea what it is, but I've learned by Pavlovian method to be afraid of those guys.

Oso
04-24-2003, 08:37 PM
I have no idea what it is, but I've learned by Pavlovian method to be afraid of those guys.

amen and well put, it definitely depends on the person. Funny, that.

I am (hopefully) propagating just such a belly...check back with me in 20 years. :)

shaolin kungfu
04-24-2003, 08:37 PM
My sifu has a small one. Does anyone know what causes them?

Oso
04-24-2003, 08:39 PM
semem retention.

Water Dragon
04-24-2003, 08:52 PM
LOL. I started to get a real little one when I was doing Iron Body. Which is funny as I'm tall and thin. (I would be skinny if I didn't train) It went away when I stopped the training though. I think that might account partly for the hardness.

Oso
04-25-2003, 03:01 AM
dare we try to have a serious discussion about this?;)

Ether
04-25-2003, 04:31 AM
lol, might be funny.

Actually, my teacher has just such a belly. He is a vegetarian with not a drop of excess fat on him, trains about 4-6 hours a day. However he has a pronounced belly.

Funny thing is, when you punch him it seems to just fold around your hand and then spring back into shape when your fist withdraws. Ive yet to make him so much as blink......

Repulsive Monkey
04-25-2003, 04:45 AM
Well considering the wieght and girth of such luminaries as Wang Shu-jin and Yang Cheng-fu, it may seem that weight is irelevant. Yang although obese, demonstrated in a contest his sticking ability in holding a piece os string and asking the other Kung-fu master to see if he could pull the string tight, and proceeded to run around all over the place, and failed to beat Yang.

So even fatties can move like lightening and shouldn't be immediately dismissed.

Oso
04-25-2003, 05:37 AM
sure, imo, it's sort of pointless to discuss if a portly or stocky kung fu guy or gal can be good or not. Of course they can if they work at it.

I'm 5'11'' and 225-230 and should probably be around 200. I would like to be smaller and slightly faster but I kinda like the fact that I constantly get comments on how much faster I am than I look. I also think it happens to be a little bit of a tactical advantage. Not an excuse for being 25 lbs overweight though.

Nick
04-25-2003, 06:33 AM
I think it's because the stomach muscles get really big.

Later...

MasterKiller
04-25-2003, 06:57 AM
Over-developed stomach muscles will create the appearance of a pooch.

However, I think most guys just eat too many Big Macs.

Taomonkey
04-25-2003, 07:36 AM
so is a fat teacher like a fat chick,,, fun to learn from until one of your friends find out?

apoweyn
04-25-2003, 11:54 AM
Taomonkey,

Look at the Sayoc family. First impressions aside, weight doesn't seem to have hurt them any.

Stuart B.

Guile
04-25-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Taomonkey
so is a fat teacher like a fat chick,,, fun to learn from until one of your friends find out?
:D

MasterKiller
04-25-2003, 01:30 PM
If I actively seek out over-weight instructors at closing time, is it still called "hogging"?

ppower
04-26-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by apoweyn
Taomonkey,

Look at the Sayoc family. First impressions aside, weight doesn't seem to have hurt them any.

Stuart B.

Seriously, I think the "all blade" mentality is due to a lack of ability to do anything physical! That's not much different from the guys who claim they'll just shoot you.

On the other hand, being heavy doesn't mean he can't teach you, especially when the instructor's getting older. But if it's a fat guy who's only 40, I think he might have some problems with discipline or living by his own creed...

Gold Horse Dragon
04-26-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by shaolin kungfu
My sifu has a small one. Does anyone know what causes them?

BEER!

GHD

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-26-2003, 09:26 AM
my sifu is built like you would typically imagine a shorter lumberjack or miner. stocky solid dude about 5'8'' - 5'9'. hes got a bit of a spare tire, but it doesnt seem to effect his movement any. his kicks above the knee are a little slower, but i think that comes from multiple knee surgeries and the fact that he only kicks above the knee to show us the kicks more than his belly. then again i guess i havent really seen him go all out on a waist level kick so maybe he can still do it.

"If the instructor was massively overweight( over 300) ..........."

i wouldnt be so sure of that my man. shuul and i used to go to an instructor that had to go about 350. big fat ass. he'd eat 2 steaks and drink a 2 pitches of beer before most classes. you'd look at him and think this fat tub of **** cant teach me anything. and then tubby hits your 6 times before you blink. fu cker has the fastest set of hands i have ever seen bar none. cant really kick worth a **** but he can move his legs quick enough to jam and block kicks. dude was really solid somewhere and had more power than anyone i have ever met other than my current instructor.