PDA

View Full Version : New to Kung Fu - Help with Staff Form?

offbalanceninja
04-24-2003, 04:51 PM
Hi,

I have just started Hung Gar Kung Fu. I would have to say that it is my favorite art that I have studied and I am now hooked. I have experience in both Karate and Tae Kwon Do which never gave me the same satisfaction as does Kung Fu. The style which I am taking is Tiger, Crane.

I am looking for online help for a really nice staff form to learn and I can't seen to find one. Can anyone send me in the right direction?

I would like a step by step or video clip to see?

Any thoughts anyone?

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions

Thanks

offbalancenina

David Jamieson
04-24-2003, 07:07 PM
If you have just started the style then I'm sure your teacher will teach you a staff form when you get to that point.

are you self studying from the basics? If so, i wouldn't recommend that you start with weapons. Get a really good understanding of the basics, principles and stances first.

While there is a lot of published infornation about the Hung Gar style,If you don't have a good grounding in fundamentals of the Hung Fist then you should probably find a teacher.

cheers

offbalanceninja
04-25-2003, 05:26 AM
Thansk for the reply Kung Lek,

I realize that I am jumping the gun a bit by wanting to learn a staff form on my own. Problem being is that I am from a very small town and it is a very small school (3 adults) and I don't get to train as often as I would like. It is a great school and my Sifu knows that I train with weapons at home.

I know forms with the staff in the other styles so I am familer with the stances, grips and leg work, but would like to start working on this style. I have just recived my orange belt this week.

There is a pile of reading material out there about Hung Gar, but some sites are bettter than others

Thanks

Offbalanceninja

MasterKiller
04-25-2003, 06:32 AM
I have just recived my orange belt this week.

Hung Gar? Belts? :confused:

No_Know
04-25-2003, 09:35 AM
Not having been taught the forms hWhy do you think you know the stances and grips of Hung Gar Tiger/Crane School?

Jabb
04-25-2003, 10:07 AM
Legwork in karate and kung fu CAN be quite different, you use the same stances etc. in weapon forms as in hand forms. I would suggest that you ask your sifu to teach you the staff form.

I've studied choy lee fut for 6 months now and I haven't learned the staff form yet, because I have to go to a seminar in order to learn it and I don't know when the next staff seminar is. There was a staff seminar but it was on the same time as the first form that we need for orange sash.

Ben Gash
04-25-2003, 12:04 PM
Your Sifu will probably teach you the monkey king staff after your first or second hand form. This is a double ended staff form and more similar to the staff work you'd have done in Karate than the later forms (which are "single ended"). However the footwork will be very different to what you've done before. There's a reason your Sifu has a syllabus.

Golden Arms
04-25-2003, 02:47 PM
Sit in a semi decent sei ping ma for a half an hour, and do pushups on your fingertips for a year or so, and then tell someone you want to know the staff form, up until then, you have plenty to practice if you want to learn even basic Hung. This is not your sisters Karobics class...

shaolin kungfu
04-25-2003, 03:00 PM
LOL at karobics.:D

Sho
04-26-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Jabb
I haven't learned the staff form yet, because I have to go to a seminar in order to learn itThat sucks.

The stances in karate and CMA aren't exactly the same. You have similar stances, they're definitely not the same. Knowing karate stances doesn't help you learn CMA stances any better than knowing for example a MT stance and then learning CMA stances.

Jabb
04-26-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Sho
That sucks.

Yes, well, we learn the techniques used in forms in the gwoon but we have to go to seminars if we want to learn the forms. It's ok tho, our gwoon training is usually about perfecting our techniques or handling different kind of combat situations and defending self from different kind of attacks and incorporating counter-attack.

Heres a statement of our Sifus Markku & Martti Sipilä about the matter (the last post): http://www.clfma.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB_14&file=index&action=viewtopic&topic=227&4

You've propably already read it since you posted the topic :)

Sho
04-26-2003, 06:19 AM
Yea. I hear you, dude, but I don't agree with the system.

Serpent
04-26-2003, 06:51 AM
Neither do I. The forms of your system should be taught as part of the curriculum of that system.

Their methods are a bit like teaching knitting, but only showing you needle techniques. If you want wool, you have to pay extra.

That's possibly the worst analogy I ever made in my life. Why did I pick knitting?

Must be the beer talking, but you get my point.

Jabb
04-26-2003, 08:47 AM
I can't disagree, when I started practising CLF I hope that the forms would be a part of the curriculum, but when I heard that you have to go to a seminar in order to learn them, I accepted it.

I hope that I could do something about it, but I can't. Ofcourse I could write a letter to my sifus (they live in a different city than I do) and beg them to change the system but I think it would need something like 100 undersigned names so they would even put it under consideration.

Ben Gash
04-26-2003, 12:25 PM
Your Sifu's live in another city? How are they your Sifu? Who's leading the classes? :confused:

Jabb
04-27-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Ben Gash
Your Sifu's live in another city? How are they your Sifu? Who's leading the classes? :confused:
They are Sifus in general, I just call them my sifus because we are a part of the same organization, The Choy Lee Fut federation of Finland and the sifus bring the art to my city. They also teach us the forms in seminars.

My sihings who are in a special group called Hung Sing Gwoon are leading the classes, the Sifus teach them and they teach us. Our sifus will personally check every month or so that they know their bussines and that the quality of teaching is high. We have 4-5 HSG members in my city and each of them have been practising CLF for 7-10 years. They are good instructors.

I hope I made it clear

Ben Gash
04-28-2003, 02:14 AM
Then surely they're your sifus and the people you are calling sifu are your sigungs? :confused:

Jabb
04-28-2003, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by Ben Gash
Then surely they're your sifus and the people you are calling sifu are your sigungs? :confused:
Hehe, you might be right :)

My sifus call my sigungs sifus, so I got confused which term to use... (was that a correct line? :D )

Im just a noob, just learning new stuff everyday :cool: