PDA

View Full Version : Dialect in shaolin?

stubbs
08-04-2001, 10:47 PM
hi everyone,

i was hopeing someone could tell me what dialect of chinese most of the locals use in the shaolin region. i think i heard somewhere that it is mandarin but i wanted to make sure, i want to learn the basics before i go over there.

thanks in advanced

"satisfaction loses,and humility gains"

Daelomin
08-04-2001, 10:58 PM
they speak shaolin :rolleyes: :D :eek:

northstar
08-04-2001, 11:27 PM
Henan province is Mandarin country, but it is probably a dialect of Mandarin and not exactly the putonghua of Mandarin teaching material. But if your choice is between Mandarin and Cantonese, Mandarin is without question the way to go.

Radhnoti
08-05-2001, 04:49 AM
Something I've wondered...
Does anyone have any suggested software...book series...tapes...etc., that might help someone get a good start with Mandarin?
I KNOW the best thing would be to converse with a native speaker, but that's not a possibility for me.

-Radhnoti

joedoe
08-05-2001, 06:53 AM
Technically you should be able to speak Mandarin anywhere in China and be understood.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
What we do in life echoes in Eternity

prana
08-06-2001, 06:55 AM
Fukkien, my mother tongue :)

hehehe I dunt really know.

Stumblefist
08-06-2001, 01:55 PM
"Ellie mok" a cassette course with small book. I started on that a long time ago, exactly my situation as yours. . It is still being sold. Best short course i've seen about 6-8 tapes.
Every city has their own dialect, but the north is the best mandarin country and also you have to get used to how each region speaks Manarin.

IronFist
08-06-2001, 11:07 PM
Rad,

Get the mandarin course by Pimsleur. It's pricey, but it's worth it. I gaurantee if you don't completely suck, that you'll be speaking and thinking in Mandarin.

Oh yeah, someone on ebay is most likely selling it, so you can get it for cheaper!

Iron

Radhnoti
08-07-2001, 06:05 AM
MUCH thanks to the Fists. I'll see which I can come up with and which suits best.
Thanks again.

-Radhnoti