PDA

View Full Version : sparring a shotokan guy & a kempo guy

wingchunalex
04-24-2003, 07:16 PM
I just had an awsome experience. I got to spar a tae kwon do/shotokan karate guy and a kempo karate guy. I haven't got to spar people from other styles outside of tournaments that offten, especially recently. We did continuous sparring too, so that was nice. I've had some doubts about if I can actually apply most of my techniques, especially the more advaced ones i've been practicing recently. but everything worked. I knew I could deal with what ever they could throw at me with stuff like simple pak saus and tan saus, and simple foot work and counter punching. But I was able to apply a lot of the techniques I know. I was able to use lop sau (bong wu-lop da), kwan sau, jom gaun, pak da and lop da entering and trapping. Just sticking to their arms worked really well. Just actually using my wing chun worked extremely well all around. I still have quite a few things I can go back and work on being able to apply more- inside facing stepping, working more techniques off of lop sau, more sticky leg skills, tightening up my defence, etc. but all in all, I was very pleased with how things worked. I've offten wondered If I could really deal with a good reverse punch, hard karate blows and blocks, good technique from other styles (ie- not tournament sparring). I have more faith in all of wing chun. A lot of people question the effectiveness of things like lop sau (bong wu-lop da), kwan sau-ing a punch, trapping, etc. I had taken those concers to heart, I questioned how well I could apply my wing chun. but now I know that it all works if you work hard enough and long enough. It really opened my eyes to what else I need to work on, and the areas i'm weak in, but its so exciting knowing that I can just keep going, and keep doing what i'm doing. I just thought i'd share my thoughts about my experience. I can't wait to keep training and perfecting and re-perfecting things.

Miles Teg
04-24-2003, 07:28 PM
Good stuff mate!
Ive been actively looking for people to spar/exchange with in Japan but with no luck so far.
I used to do Karate for 10 years and we sparred alot. But the truth was I didnt get that much out of it. There wasnt much attention to details. It was kind of like: 'do combos on them, left right then kick'. I like W.C cause its all about letting go and not hanging on to the idea of preset techniques etc. and dealing with change. I think Ive got a lot more from a few years of W.C than I have of 10 years of Karate. I dont think sparring is the best method for training but I think it would be nice to get out and experiment now and then through sparring. Ive havent sparred since starting W.C so Im keen to give it a try.

Wingman
04-24-2003, 08:13 PM
Sparring with other styles can be an eye-opening experience. You will discover your weaknesses against other styles. As WC practitioners, I think we all know what we are good at. But when sparring with other styles, our opponent can show us where our weaknesses lie.

When I first sparred with a TKD practitioner, I was frustrated because I can't seem to bridge the gap. He was good at keeping his distance from me. When practicing with other WC practitioners, I don't have this problem because we both like to bridge the gap whenever possible. I solved the problem with the TKD practitioner by first observing him. I observed that he keep switching his lead foot. I also observed that he usually kicks with his hind leg. What I did was to bridge the gap whenever he switches his lead foot. Since he is in the wrong foot, he won't be able to retreat & I will be able to close the distance.

Another problem I had with TKD practitioners is when they fake a roundhouse kick at waist level, then quickly kick to the head. I try to counter the waist level kick with a gan sao & the kick to the head with a pak sao using my other hand. But my pak sao is not adequate to stop the kick to the head. My solution is to close the distance and change my gan sao to a tan sao and use my other hand to strike. The gan sao to tan sao movement will "scoop up" his kicking leg & make him loose his balance because he is standing only in one leg.

I just want to share my experience & I hope others will do the same.

fa_jing
04-25-2003, 09:31 AM
Against a side-facing kicker, step out and forward to the side and re-angle in, and enter with a front kick.

Works for me.

captain
04-25-2003, 09:50 AM
from the wck i saw,i sometimes wonder what the problem
some of you is.act like you have a pair!use the wck!i knew
for sure that my judo [if i could not get a grab/sweep]would
have not dealt with the palms and punches.come on guys!

Lindley
04-25-2003, 10:05 AM
First, congratulations WingChunalex on your "enlightenment" of seeing the effectiveness of the Wing Chun System and your Kung Fu ability. Continue up the ladder in your understanding and training.

For those who responded that they often had trouble "bridging the gap" against good kickers, this might help. We do a training we call "distance awareness". In its preliminary stage, we use a kicking shield held tightly against the body as if it were part of your body (you cannot extend it out to block). You realize that you can deal with a kicker in one of two ways - enter and jam the kicker immediately or stay just outside their kicking range and then enter. But how do you learn this range? The keys here are timing and the conservation of energy. You can use a lot of energy "tap dancing" (using unnecessary wasted movement) with the kicker. However, if you train to use less footwork, a slide in slide out (almost like a ballroom dancer), you will find you use significatnly less energy and it is less telegraphic.

The person with the kicking shield faces everyone in the class one at a time, who kicks at him for a short period - maybe 30 seconds a person. As you will discover, even the practicing kickers get tired very quickly. This exercise is also beneficial to the kickers as well as they see how difficult it is to kick consistently and accurately. These kicks can be of any type, preferably contacting the kicking shield.

The "graduate" phase of this training is to replace the kicking shield with a good chest protector. Now, you hold your hands behind your back and can utilize only your legs for Wing Chun kicks for stopping your kicking partner and or entering the kicker. The exposure (not using hands) and relying on your legs and horse open you to quite an interesting experience. One which I think you will find helpful in your approach to dealing with good kickers.

Be prepared to be hit and do not be afraid of being hit. Study timing, balance, relaxation, and coordination.

Good luck with your Kung Fu

Sihing Tom
04-25-2003, 11:15 AM
Lindley,

Great post. Good to hear other people are training "distance awareness" with this method. We have been doing this, exactly as you explained, for quite some time now. And it proves to be very effective in developing distancing, timing and bridging the gap with efficient footwork. For the beginning student, it also helps to eliminate the fear of getting hit with a kick, if done on a gradual basis. Instead of running away from an oncoming kick, the student will tend to stay in closer, allowing them to bridge the gap quicker since there is less distance to cover. Glad to hear this training is pervasive in the Moy Yat family!

Sihing Tom