PDA

View Full Version : Rate my techniques and training methods.

Viper555
04-24-2003, 07:52 PM
Ok, i'll start off with the techniques.

1) They throw a straight punch (jab) at you. You do a robins wing for the deflection and rotate your wrist around so that you have a hold of their arm. Your palm should be facing downwards when you grab. Once you have a hold of their arm you just rotate your arm around so that your palm is now facing upwards. At the same time that you are doing that you should also be going through with a punch of you own to their nose (or whatever you feel it is best to hit at the moment) and pull their arm so that you pull them into your strike. From here I would pull their arm while doing a strike to and pushing their shoulder while turning my body to take him down. Once he was down I would probably break the arm or kick them where ever I wanted to. Another way to take him down would be the same motion just coming through with the inside of your arm to their neck.

I'm going to have to put up the rest of my techniques later because right now I need to be getting off and going to bed.

I'll go ahead and explain by training methods real quick.

I usually practice the move in the air a couple of times slowly to get the form and footwork for it and slowly increase my speed. Then I will use a mirror for practicing hitting a target. I also sometime use one of my punching bags (one of the ones that looks like a person) and visualize him throwing the punch while I do the technique on him.

I would love to be able to practice these on someone in sparring but I rarely get the chance seeing as how I don't know many people that I could spar with. My one friend that I used to spar with has kind of gotten out of the martial arts and no longer cares to spar with me and my other friend that is in the martial arts would only get to come over every couple of weekends. Is the way that I'm doing it the next best thing to having a partner of is there a more effective way?

Anyway, what would you guys rate that technique and what would you rate my training methods?

Shaolin-Do
04-25-2003, 09:51 AM
ummm... err...
IMHO - that explanation of technique kind of muddled my brain.
As for your training - is that all you do? Id suggest looking at Water dragons post titled "My training method"
That should help you.

-SD

Viper555
04-25-2003, 01:05 PM
Of course it's not all that I do but, it is the main way that I try to train my techniques. As far as Water Dragons post, I couldn't find it anywhere. About what page is it on?

Let me try to explain this technique a little better.

Your opponent punches. You do a robins wing (its like a knife hand to their arm) to deflect the punch. Here you grab their arm and twist it to the outside bringing your elbows down to your ribs causing him to be jerked foward. While you are doing that you want to strike him. You are pulling him into your strike.

Now for the take down.

You have your opponents arm. You want to throw a palm strike to his shoulder and push while pulling his arm with your other hand and spin while you do this. This should force him to the ground. From there you can do what you want.

I hope that was a little clearer, sometimes I have trouble putting stuff into words. Let me know if you still don't understand it and I'll see if I can find some pics to help demonstrate it better.

MasterKiller
04-25-2003, 01:08 PM
So what do you do against someone who fakes a punch and kicks you in the knee?

shaolin kungfu
04-25-2003, 01:11 PM
He cries.:p

Viper555
04-25-2003, 01:20 PM
I would use a different technique. I'm not saying that this is the one technique to rule them all. It's just one of my favorites that I think seems effective against someone who is ****ed and is just getting ready to start trying to hit you in the face.

If someone faked a punch then went to kick me in the knee then ideally I would not go all the way through with the deflection but, I would meet there kick with my kick and then follow up with some strikes.

Maybe I should let you guys know the level that I am at. I took karate for two years but, it was mostly just sport sparring which I didn't know at the time. Once I found out I changed to Kung Fu and have been doing it for about 5 months now. Most of the stuff I have learned in there is a lot different from what I learned in karate and the techniques still seem kind of strange to me. I'm trying to get your opinions on my training since I'm still a little confused on how I should be training to actually be able to fight effectively and not train to win a sport fighting match.

Viper555
04-25-2003, 01:21 PM
Like a little school girl. ;)

MasterKiller
04-25-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Viper555
I'm trying to get your opinions on my training since I'm still a little confused on how I should be training to actually be able to fight effectively and not train to win a sport fighting match.

Basically, if you get hit hard, hit in the face, and practice ground fighting, you are probably getting about as realistic as possible in a classroom environment.

Water Dragon
04-25-2003, 01:26 PM
Your opponent punches. You do a robins wing (its like a knife hand to their arm) to deflect the punch. Here you grab their arm and twist it to the outside bringing your elbows down to your ribs causing him to be jerked foward. While you are doing that you want to strike him. You are pulling him into your strike.

Sounds very similar to Pi Chuan in idea. Have you tried using this aggresively to open his door?

You have your opponents arm. You want to throw a palm strike to his shoulder and push while pulling his arm with your other hand and spin while you do this. This should force him to the ground. From there you can do what you want.

That's not a takedown I would attempt from that position. Instead, try this: You already have his left arm. Byatch slap him in the side of his neck with your right hand. Personally, I would use a Yang (palm up) fist to the jaw or ear, but they both work.

Now, pull his left arm to his left and push his neck to the left as well. As you do this, instead of spinning, sweep out his left foot with your left foot. (You are sweeping to your right) It's safer for you than spinning. What if you spin and you both go down and he winds up being a Purple Belt in BJJ?

Viper555
04-25-2003, 01:34 PM
^^I haven't had a chance to give it a try yet since I haven't spared in awhile but I might be able to try it out this weekend.

Anyway, I am going to be gone for a day so I wont be on here for a little while. Thanks for the input guys and feel free to tell me how you train so that I have more examples to follow. And WD thanks for the advice and the takedown. I'll give it a try.

Cya guys later.

draggin dragon
04-25-2003, 09:16 PM
Mike Tyson--"Everyone has a plan, until they are hit."

Viper555
04-26-2003, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the input so far guys and to the guy above that is a good point.

Anyway, here's another technique.

Someone throws a punch (jab) You deflect like above and follow through with a bear slap to their jaw or ear. Then you pull the arm that you have a hold of and step back and do a knife hand to their kneck.

Also, whenever you were doing the deflection then the bear slap those should be done in a way that it will look like a circular motion (a small circle). Also you could replace the bear slap with a cross if you wanted to.

How is that one?

Viper555
04-26-2003, 03:55 PM
Doesn't anyone have an opinion on that technique?

draggin dragon
04-26-2003, 06:00 PM
It is good to imagine possible scenarios and pratice responses to them. That is one way to learn. You need to practice contigency responses , as well, however.
So far every scenario you have mentioned begins with an opponent throwing a straight punch--then you intercepting the punch with a wing block & grabbing their arm.
What happens if your block is a moment too late & it misses? What happens if the opponent anticipates your block and redirects the path of the punch. And you realize, of course, that if a punch is thrown correctly that it is quite possible to strike & withdraw at a speed which makes grabbing the arm very difficult--if not impossible.
When you practice open your mind to many possibilities and work on a range of general responses. It is not possible to prepare for every possible permutation, and possible outcome, so don't focus so specifically--but more generally.
Does that make sense?

SevenStar
04-26-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon

Sounds very similar to Pi Chuan in idea. Have you tried using this aggresively to open his door?

That's not a takedown I would attempt from that position. Instead, try this: You already have his left arm. Byatch slap him in the side of his neck with your right hand. Personally, I would use a Yang (palm up) fist to the jaw or ear, but they both work.

Now, pull his left arm to his left and push his neck to the left as well. As you do this, instead of spinning, sweep out his left foot with your left foot. (You are sweeping to your right) It's safer for you than spinning. What if you spin and you both go down and he winds up being a Purple Belt in BJJ?

What about diagonal cut or elbow locking? Also, from the arm grab, if you pull his arm forward instead of downward, you can set up things like a shoulder throw or neck wheel (neck surround)

SevenStar
04-27-2003, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Viper555
Thanks for the input so far guys and to the guy above that is a good point.

Anyway, here's another technique.

Someone throws a punch (jab) You deflect like above and follow through with a bear slap to their jaw or ear. Then you pull the arm that you have a hold of and step back and do a knife hand to their kneck.

Also, whenever you were doing the deflection then the bear slap those should be done in a way that it will look like a circular motion (a small circle). Also you could replace the bear slap with a cross if you wanted to.

How is that one?

Nah. Why step back? you're pulling him into you. Go forward, eat up his space and take him down. When you step back, you give him room to strike as well as yourself.

Viper555
04-27-2003, 05:36 PM
The reason all of my techniques have started off that way is because i've only listed two so far and haven't gotten to the others. I'll get to them eventually. I also realize how fast someone can throw that punch. Basically, i'm hoping to get a grab, but if I don't i hopefully have still drlected his punch which gives me an opportunity to attack.

SevenStar: Whenvever you are stepping back your pulling back and down to disrupt his balance and hitting him in the side of the head which will hopefully lower him further (although it may not) so you're not rally pulling him into you. I do see what you are saying though.

Draggin Dragon: I think I kind of get what you're saying but, not fully, if you know what I mean. Could you maybe rephrase that say that I might get it.

Thanks for all the input.

Water Dragon
04-27-2003, 07:09 PM
It's a sweep. You are pulling his upper body to your left hand side. At the same time, you're sweeping your foot to your right. Play with it.