PDA

View Full Version : Willy Wetzel

Shuul Vis
04-25-2003, 06:56 AM
A friend of mine studies under a student of his in the style of Poekoelan Tjimindie Tulen which he founded. His teacher is one of the most profound i have encountered in both the spiritual and combat aspects of martial arts and just being a student of willy's who is now teaching it made me wonder about mr wetzel himself. So, does anyone know anything about Willy Wetzel and his life or style?

MasterKiller
04-25-2003, 06:58 AM
You mean before or after he left "the Chocolate Factory"?

Taomonkey
04-25-2003, 07:30 AM
He had a close relationship with the Reeders family. Was one incredible martial artsist, I have seen film of him teaching. If your foot ever left the ground, your butt would beat it back to earth.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-25-2003, 11:17 AM
where did you find this video? he's my sigung or whatever you guys call it and i have only seen pictures up till now.

shaolinboxer
04-25-2003, 11:33 AM
There's one of these schools about a block from my dojo...i'll check it out....meanwhile

http://www.poekoelan.com/index1.html

Oso
04-25-2003, 11:35 AM
he's supposed to be up one side of my 'family' tree as well.curious.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-25-2003, 12:28 PM
shaolin ... let me know who the teacher is ... ill ask my sifu if he trained with them or if he knows if they are any good.

Ryan
04-25-2003, 02:23 PM
Any relation to this guy?

http://www.jimwetzel.com/

If so...I can give you a LOT of info on his father...I used to work with one of his students who studied under him in the '70s.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-25-2003, 10:24 PM
holy sh it ... did you listen to the music he put up there. i definately hope hes not related to willy for that reason alone.

i honestly doubt it though .... i have seen the rose used in other pukulan schools but he may just be capitalizing on that. ill ask sifu next thursday.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-25-2003, 10:26 PM
well sh it .... he is in pa ... so he very well might be related or at least a student who happened to have the same last name willy took when he came over. what can you tell me about his father.

SevenStar
04-25-2003, 11:11 PM
This has turned out to be an interesting thread!

Serpent
04-26-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar
This has turned out to be an interesting thread!

Quite unusual for KFO.

MonkeySlap Too
04-26-2003, 09:39 AM
Jim Wetzel is Willy Wetzels son.

I have no direct experience with the Wetzel clan, so I cannot speak to it. But, I do know from police reports and court documents that Willy Wetzel was killed by his other son in self-defense.

It's an interesting story.

Oso
04-26-2003, 09:43 AM
I had heard that too. no details though. now I need to go figure out where the link is back up the line.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-26-2003, 09:47 AM
you know i was just about to post that i didnt just ask my sifu about willy's life as he didnt seem to like talking about him very much. i figured they had a fallout or something.

now i know why.

this has turned out to be an ineteresting thread indeed.

do you have any links to that story or can you elaborate?

Oso
04-26-2003, 10:22 AM
I think you are asking MST that question but I definitely don't have any more info. Willy Wetzel is really just a name that I have been told someone back on my line has learned from at some point in time. I've never been taught anything ID'd as his system.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-26-2003, 10:33 AM
yeah, was mainly directed at ms2 but any info from anyone would be appreciated.

it makes a lot more sene now though .... i always wondered why sifu seemed a little uncomfortable when talking about willy. he'll answer any questions you have, or talk about training experiences from time to time, but doesn't seem to like to bring him up more than necessary.

MonkeySlap Too
04-26-2003, 02:14 PM
I'll apologize now, as I probably won't respond very quickly to further posts, as my new job is keeping me from the boards...

The Willy Wetzel stuff is fairly controversial. Like most Dutch-Indo derived groups, there is an awful lot of vitriol targeted at the different factions. I don't know any of them, so it doesn't really matter to me.

Search rec.martialarts and you'll find a lot of stuff about the topic.

Ryan
04-27-2003, 06:10 AM
I have the story...my family knew Mr. Wetzel through our church (he attended every so often) and I am friends with one of his oldest students). I'll email anyone anything they want to know. Bottom line, Willy Wetzel was killed in a Penn State Beaver dorm room, and he had markings from Nunchuku chain across his throat. It may have been self-defense...may have been murder. It's not my place to say.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-27-2003, 10:03 AM
abaddon@1st.net

Ryan
04-27-2003, 01:35 PM
I'll email anyone who wants to know Thursday...I'll be away for the next few days.

Oso
04-27-2003, 02:33 PM
mmelton@ashevillemartialarts.com

bustr
09-27-2003, 06:28 AM
Ryan

You still here? I'd like to hear more.