PDA

View Full Version : karate master joins Brian Gray on child/student molesting charges

carly
04-25-2003, 01:16 PM
Karate teacher accused of molesting girls

By Derek Simmonsen staff writer

April 20, 2003

LAKEWOOD PARK -- The head of a local karate school for children was arrested Friday after sheriff's investigators accused him of molesting two female students.

Steven Michael Zerbe, 26, of 965 35th Ave. in Vero Beach, was accused of inappropriately touching a 6-year-old girl and an 11-year-old girl who were students in his karate class during several incidents that began last year, according to a Sheriff's Office report. He is being held on a $1.015 million bond at the St. Lucie County Jail, according to jail officials.

Zerbe is reportedly the owner and an instructor at Budan Kai Karate, at the intersection of Indrio Road and Emerson Avenue. An unidentified woman who answered the phone at Zerbe's home Saturday evening declined to comment. The investigation began after the grandmother of the 6-year-old accompanied her to karate class on Thursday. She told deputies that at one point she could not find her grandchild, and went looking for her in the area where the children change clothes for class. The grandmother reportedly found the child with her pants and underwear pulled down and saw Zerbe standing nearby her. When she asked the child what she was doing, the child said "Master Steve" told her to pull her pants down, the report states. Zerbe was shocked to see her, the grandmother told investigators.

The girl later told investigators that Zerbe touched her in her genital area, the report states. In an interview with detectives Jeff Buchanan and Neil Spector, Zerbe denied touching the girl. The detectives reportedly offered to let him take a computer voice-stress test. Zerbe initially agreed to the test, but became defensive after Spector left the room to talk with Zerbe's mother, who had accompanied him to the Sheriff's Office, the report states. Zerbe reportedly became defensive in front of his mother and said to Spector, "I am going to call [the girl] and her mother and take care of this."

Spector told him that if he contacted either one he would be arrested. Zerbe then charged Spector, backing him out of the office and into the main lobby of the Sheriff's Office, the report states. Buchanan drew his gun and told Zerbe to back away from Spector or he would be shot, the report states. Zerbe initially backed away, the report indicates, but then approached Buchanan. Zerbe's mother jumped up and stopped him from coming at Buchanan, the report states. Deputies were called for back up and Buchanan told Zerbe he was under arrest. While Buchanan was putting handcuffs on him, Zerbe reportedly tried to hit the detective and struggled with the deputies.

Zerbe was charged with lewd and lascivious molestation, in addition to felony counts of threatening a public servant, assault on a law enforcement officer and resisting arrest with violence, the report states. A couple who heard about the arrest contacted the Sheriff's Office late Friday and said their 11-year-old daughter had a similar encounter with Zerbe. The girl told detectives that in October 2002, Zerbe made her go to the bathroom with the 6-year-old girl and that he also made her pull down her pants. Zerbe then touched her genital area, the report states. More encounters allegedly took place in the following months. The final encounter with Zerbe took place in February 2003, when Zerbe reportedly forced the 11-year-old to urinate in front of him, but did not touch her genitals, the report states.

"This statement is consistent to an ongoing method Zerbe utilizes to victimize these children," Spector wrote in a second arrest affidavit. Zerbe was charged with a second count of lewd and lascivious molestation at the jail Friday night, the report states. Spector wrote in his report that the investigation could potentially lead to other victims and the Sheriff's Office will continue to investigate.

http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/trib_local_news/article/0,1651,TCP_1107_1902427,00.html

Mojo
04-25-2003, 01:20 PM
Carly
Thanks, lets keep the light on this kind of cr@p.

GreyMystik
04-25-2003, 02:13 PM
where is the "joining brian gray" part?

carly
04-25-2003, 02:15 PM
has already been charged in MD. Did you not see the thread here on that?

Waidan
04-25-2003, 02:44 PM
I've always been suspicious of that guy. I think it's the headband that tipped me off.

carly
04-25-2003, 02:46 PM
That was to hold the VERY obvious bad wig in place.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-25-2003, 10:13 PM
on one hand i'm fairly suprised that the first comments on this thread involved his head band and wig vs. removing pieces of his face one by one while he watches in a mirror.

on the other hand the fact that he attacked the officers makes me wonder if he really did it. the guilty usually act innocent and are cooperative. can't ignore multiple claims though .... if these girls are all coming forward as the report indicates (i question this only because i dont trust the media) then i can only sit back and fantacize about what will happen to him when i take over.

Serpent
04-26-2003, 06:28 AM
$1.015 bail!?

Gawddayum!

Scumbags.

If he's guilty I hope he gets to share a cell with Big Bubba, the inmate with seriously twisted h0mo-erotic desires.