PDA

View Full Version : close range

stubbs
07-05-2001, 06:29 PM
when i see shaolin kungfu i see a lot of long range attacks, jumps, flips, and acrobatics. i was wondering if shaolin kungfu had any close range attacks shown in their forms or in sparring?

"satisfaction loses, humility gains"

shaolinboxer
07-05-2001, 07:23 PM
Close range upper cuts, elbow strikes, head butts, clinching and knee strikes are all used by shaolin practtioners.

Sil Lum Palm
07-05-2001, 10:51 PM
I don't know about other schools, but we are taught a lot of close range fighting and grappling our in Southern Sil Lum system. I notice a lot of elbow strikes and uppercuts as well as knees and head-butts. Chin Na works well for close range if you have spent enough time to learn how to do the techniques quickly and effectively. Also, I believe the iron palm would be a pretty good close-range technique as well. A well rounded system will have a balance of close-range and long-range attacks/defense.

inpho
07-13-2001, 05:23 AM
I too noticed that, though Shaolin Chuan does have close range movements, it does concentrate on longer range movements. Because of this I also study Hung Gar. It costs a bit more but since I live in two places throughout the year it's good to have somewhere wherever I am.