PDA

View Full Version : different shaolin styles

freedom76
07-16-2001, 05:43 AM
Does anybody know of a good source that breaks down all the different shaolin forms into different groups? There seems to be thousands of forms. I've heard of things like golden bell shaolin. What differentiates that from another "kind" of shaolin boxing? I've learned a form called (translated as) Northern Shaolin Longfist Numbered Fighting Methods Forms 1-10, including things named Pow Chuan (Cannon Boxing),Raining Fist, Trapping Fist, 13 Sweeping Methods, Locking Fist, Di Tang, Crossing Fist, Attack and Evade, Plum Flower Fist & Splitting Hand, and Flying Kicks. Has anybody heard of these? It came down from Te-Ching Jerry Cook who also is friends with Master Jin Heng Li. I trust these two men's reputations and abilities without a doubt, but I'm trying to understand the big picture. Help me please if you have some info. Thank you :D

reemul
07-16-2001, 09:47 AM
From a Shaolin perspective it breaks down like this.

Shaolin kungfu: is a global term of Systems of kungfu that originate or were developed at Shaolin temple.

Shaolin "System" kungfu: A specific System of specialization of Shaolin kungfu (eg. Tiger, snake, crane...). System characteristics are apparent in all forms of their respective system.

Style: is relative to all systems. Each systems may posses one or more forms which teach that systems usage of style or approach to thery. For example; Snake and Tiger system may both have a Chang chuan(longfist) form which teaches the same theory but will be completely different in look.