PDA

View Full Version : OT: Big Easy

ewallace
04-27-2003, 06:06 PM
I'm going to new orleans in a few weeks. I haven't been there in many years and was just looking for ideas on some fun things to do, besides the obvious (and planned) getting spirited and listening to some great blues.

TIA

carly
04-27-2003, 06:28 PM
and order and eat this:
Blackened Twin Beef Tenders Debris
Twin Beef Tenders Seasoned and Blackened in a Cast Iron Skillet and Served w/ Debris Sauce, Potatoes & Veggies
You'll be glad you did.
http://www.kpauls.com/

PHILBERT
04-27-2003, 10:31 PM
I drove through it a couple years ago on my way to Flordia. Looked pretty boring. As we were leaving the place, my brother pointed out the window and I saw 2 cops walking down the street about 50 feet from us with there guns drawn. I don't think Im gonna go back there any time soon.

FatherDog
04-28-2003, 07:41 AM
I'd suggest finding out if there's any tours of historic landmarks you could go on. Normally I just wander around visiting stuff like that when I'm travelling, but as Philbert noted, it might not be the best of ideas to wander randomly in N'awlins.

eulerfan
04-28-2003, 08:39 AM
I'm from New Orleans.

There is a Supermarket called Dorignac's on Veteran's Boulevard. If you can find it, I highly suggest you go there on a Sunday morning. That's the real New Orleans right there.

Hang out in the produce department for a while and watch the little old ladies buying their merletons and cr@p. That's the real New Orleans experience. If you are lucky, they will see you and start telling you about their lives.

Now, you should have a Po-Boy while you are there. There are gas stations called Clyde's that serve the best. I know, I know, but trust me. You could make a whole new po-boy with the shrimp that fall out of one of their shrimp po-boys.

Check out who is playing as Tippatina's and, if you like metal at all, find Fat City.

Shaolin-Do
04-28-2003, 08:45 AM
what?
No mention of bourbon street yet?
whats wrong with you people?
What about heckling the cross dressers?
Or picking on the wierdos at the above ground cemetaries?
:)

KC Elbows
04-28-2003, 08:49 AM
The cemetaries are verra cool. And I'm not a weirdo, so don't heckle me.

Oh wait, yes I am.

Anyway, the cemetaries are amazing, Bourbon street is there. Really, it's not hard to find things to do in New Orleans. And what's especially nice is that everywhere's a public restroom.:D

The oldest apartments in America are there.

I also hear there's some strip clubs.

eulerfan
04-28-2003, 08:52 AM
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT go to a strip club in the middle of Bourbon street. You'll be watching a fifty year old woman with track marks trying to gyrate naked.

MasterKiller
04-28-2003, 08:54 AM
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT go to a strip club in the middle of Bourbon street. You'll be watching a fifty year old woman with track marks trying to gyrate naked.

What's wrong with that? I dig older chicks.

And track marks are sexy.

Shaolin-Do
04-28-2003, 08:57 AM
yes, I thought track marks show they have direction.
to show they are "on track"
?
heheh
You can always find your self a nice woah-man thing, like "woah-man you gotta ****!"

eulerfan
04-28-2003, 08:58 AM
Louisiana microbrewery makes some good beer and is called Abita. Turbodog is my favorite but it's a dark beer. There is also Amber and they have another that is rasberry flavored, Purple Haze.

I'll keep posting here as more stuff occurs to me.

KC Elbows
04-28-2003, 09:01 AM
When I was a kid, I took an ill advised trip to New Orleans with a friend, and his folk's car ended up breaking down and we lost our money(long story).

Anyway, we befriended this guy who let us use his apartment. Well, turned out he was a paranoid drug dealer, his girlfriend was a stripper, and their apartment was essentially either a big party zone full of naked women, or completely empty except for us and the drug dealer guy who wouldn't let us turn the light on because "I think they're out there"[maniacally brandishing pistol in one hand].

Anyway, we was young'uns, so the strippers took pitty on us and took us to their leader, the head stripper from an extremely wealthy family. She put us up in her family's 'apartment', which was huge.

I recommend doing that.

Shaolin-Do
04-28-2003, 09:02 AM
abita is good f*cking beer
lots of *****s to.

lots of *****s.

KC Elbows
04-28-2003, 09:12 AM
BTW, I really DON'T recommend my above itinerary to anyone. New Orleans is a good place to have a plan, and depite all the nakedness, it was one whacked trip, though I can laugh about it now. Actually, I laughed about it then too. But there were moments we thought captain paranoia or whoever he was afraid of were gonna kill our northern selves.

Shaolin-Do
04-28-2003, 09:31 AM
hehehe
Ever seen the "salton sea"
?
Funny paranoid drugdealer in that movie.
A couple years ago, we went to the beach and one of my friends up and disappeared, didnt see him for 3 months. Turns out he hooked up with some stripper and moved into her apartment... lofl....

ewallace
04-28-2003, 10:26 AM
I'm staying at a hotel (Montelone) really close to Bourbon street....come on folks...give me a little credit here. :)

You really have to be careful around all the clubs on B. Last time I was there I was quite...spirited...and had to go looking for a friend's brother who wandered off. At least twice I got to the middle of the club before I realized why I was getting such friendly looks. And also that said friendly looking folks were the same sex as me.

eulerfan
04-28-2003, 10:48 AM
ewallace,

The gay area is at the Esplanade end of Bourbon st. The further you get from Canal, the more aware you should be. If you don't want to end up in a gay bar.

KC Elbows
04-28-2003, 10:51 AM
There's other things people should be worrying about in New Orleans.

ewallace
04-28-2003, 11:16 AM
Not worried. It was quite amusing actually.