PDA

View Full Version : bob stannels lama white crane kf

GARRA DE TIGRE
04-28-2003, 04:57 AM
i 'd buy the white crane videotape of bob stannels . anyone sow this video or know something about this english sifu ?

custom156
04-28-2003, 07:53 AM
"i 'd buy the white crane videotape of bob stannels . anyone sow this video or know something about this english sifu ?"

Bob Stannells was taught the system of Jow Gar in Malaysia by his Chinese/Malaysian Father-in-law (Chow family line).

The video you speak of features Siu Hok Ma Kuen, if memory serves.
I learnt this set as well as others from Bob many years ago at the same time as my teacher of the time.
He is a very good teacher and exponent of his art, thus I imagine the video is worth seeing. It is not however as far as I am aware, anything to do with Tibetan White Crane.
Hope this is of help.

Lions Roar!
04-29-2003, 04:22 AM
Bob Stannels marketed his tape as 'White Crane Kung Fu', and made definite explicit claim to it being 'Tibetan' White Crane, in decent from Ah-Dat-Tor Lama, the founder of Tibetan Tantric Lion's Roar Lama martial arts.

His tape shows definite Shaolin influence, but then all extant traditions that have developed from Ah-Dat-Tor's art are Han Chinese lineages, and all have a history of absorption of Han systems from Western, Northern and Southern China.

In recent years, Bob has advertised himself as a 'Northern Crane' and Monkey Kung-Fu stylist.

His tape contains a representation of the 'Tibetan' hallmark Seed fists as well as a Shaolin influenced single man form: 'Siu-Hok-Kuen' and a two man sparring set.

He is therefore as representative of Tibetan 'White Crane' as many other practitioners are, all are diversified (greatly) from a common, original root, along with the various branches of Hop-Gar and Lama-Pai martial arts, the sibbling systems of 'Tibetan' White Crane.

custom156
04-29-2003, 05:49 AM
"Bob Stannels marketed his tape as 'White Crane Kung Fu', and made definite explicit claim to it being 'Tibetan' White Crane"

I stand corrected. Bear in mind that it was about thirteen years ago when I trained with him, plus I have never actually seen the tape, just the man. However the term 'Lions Roar' does ring bells.

"a Shaolin influenced single man form: 'Siu-Hok-Kuen'"

Fair enough, however it was called Siu Hok Ma Kuen when I learnt it, and he did say he was going to produce a video of that particular set. Maybe its a different one?

"In recent years, Bob has advertised himself as a 'Northern Crane' and Monkey Kung-Fu stylist."

I didn't realise he was still about and teaching, last I heard he had moved back to Malaysia.
I do recall a great deal of 'monkey' footwork and san-sau within some of the sets.
Have you ever met him? Are you based in the UK?

Lions Roar!
04-29-2003, 05:55 AM
I am based in the UK: www.tibetankungfu.com

I was in friendly contact with Bob around 1985.

There is 'Yuan' (Ape) footwork and san-sau in many versions of the Lion's Roar art, some dedicated Ape sets exist also. It isn't the same as "Dai-Shing-Pec-Gwa" (Monkey Kung-Fu). Some Lama masters have also studied Dai-Shing, but the Lama 'Ape' Tantric Totem animal and techniques are as I say different.

Bob is long separated from his (then) Wife.

The sets in the various lineages are often very different or even exclusive to a single line.

custom156
04-29-2003, 07:42 AM
The e-mail address on your website is not accepting any mail. Any suggestions?
Would like to have a chat (again!!)

Lions Roar!
04-29-2003, 07:44 AM
It should be, I was notified of your reply by e-mail to the site.

custom156
04-29-2003, 07:51 AM
OK, well I received a returned mail/user unknown from mailerdaemon??

Lions Roar!
04-29-2003, 09:25 AM
And again, via my website; notification of your reply here. Try a PM here.

alecM
04-29-2003, 11:14 AM
Bob Stannels didn't learn his jow gar in Malaysia. He learned from a Sifu in London's China town.

GARRA DE TIGRE
04-29-2003, 07:28 PM
i found in the set a few techniques like the ones in my lineage of white crane . but some variations in kneeling stances and in the salute . {}
in my lineage , we salute with left hand in crane's beak and right hand in open palm . his salute was more shaolin . }

a question :

which is the apllication of that technique in the beginning when he put his palms together ?

custom156
05-01-2003, 12:52 AM
"Bob Stannels didn't learn his jow gar in Malaysia. He learned frm a Sifu in London's China town."

Then I stand corrected again.
Which Sifu?

Steve Ventura
05-01-2003, 06:42 AM
I would be very concerned if there appeared to be a very strong shaolin influence in materials related to these tapes. Observance of the basic 4

1) Lau Sing Kyuhn - Shooting Star Fists
2) Fei Hok Sau - Flying Crane Hands
3) Do lou Sau - Cotton Hand (Internal)
4) Neih Lahk Sau - Maitreya Buddha Hand

the eight techniques for fist, palm, elbow, finger, Kicks, stances, footwork patterns:

The 8 fists strikes

Straight punch.
Uppercut.
Overhand punch.
Horizontal backfist, with the thumb toward the sky.
45 degree backfist strike, with palm toward the sky.
Forearm strike.
Hook punch.
inward sweeping strike.

The 8 palm strikes

Single thrust palm.
Twin pushing palms.
Chopping palm.
Shoveling palm.
Slicing palm
Groin striking palm.
Stamping palm.
Propping palm.

The 8 elbow strikes

Propping elbow.
Folding elbow.
Rising elbow.
Overhand elbow.
Elbow strike to rear.
Round elbow.
Downward elbow.
Spinning elbow.

The 8 finger strikes

Thrusting finger.
Finger spear to eyes.
Arrow fingers.
Crane's beak.
Phoenix eye (fist technique that uses extended finger).
Dragon's head (fist technique that uses extended finger).
Slicing fingers (to eyes).
Needle finger (used in internal training and for vital point striking).

The 8 kicking techniques

Hooking sweep.
Front heel thrust.
Side kick.
Back kick.
Inside Crescent kick.
Floor sweep
Cross kick.
Tornado kick.

The 8 seizing (clawing techniques)

Crane claw.
Upward arm seizing claws.
Inward sweeping grab.
Single tiger climbs the mountain.
Twin downward claws.
Bodhisattva subdues a tiger.
Lesser trapping claw.
Greater trapping claw.

The 8 Stances

Figure 8 stance
Horse stance.
Bow stance (45 degree angle, unlike back fist school).
Cross stance.
Cat stance.
Single leg stance.
Drop stance.
Kneeling stance.

The 8 footwork patterns

Meridian footwork: stepping straight forward.
7 star footwork: diagonal, "zig-zag" walking.
Baat Gwa footwork: walking in a circle.
Plum blossom footwork: five directional stepping pattern.
Bik Bouh: rear foot slides up to front foot and "kicks" it forward.
Stealing step footwork: rear foot crosses behind the front.
Shuffle: lead foot moves forward and back foot slides.
Leaping retreat: special evasive footwork.

Footwork in Lama Style does not conform to standard Chinese (Han) Northern or Southern convention. Power generation is radically different from Shaolin based arts. Si Ji How based styles also do not chamber their fists allowing the arms to flow freely and allowing the waist to create power and fist strikes to flow into each other. Enough of my rant.

Ben Gash
05-01-2003, 08:28 AM
Why? Northern white crane is fairly removed from it's origins in Tibet. Lions roar or Lama Pai, I'd be worried if there was a heavy Shaolin influence, but you'd expect Pak Hok Pai to be half and half.

Steve Ventura
05-01-2003, 09:22 AM
In response to your question, the fundamentals of the style should not change even with it's porpagation in Southern China.

Pak Hok Pai ( Bahk Hok) is the most Chinese of the Si Ji How lineages. The footwork in the Hong Kong version has seen the same transformation that many of the Mainland styles experienced when they moved to the smaller apartment style gwoons. My teacher was from Guandong province, Toy San City and his version had very little tie in with Shaolin Martial Arts. Since then, We have met and exchanged information with many other practitioners from all around the world and find many similarities between our version and theirs. Usually more similarities then not.

This does not however mean that we do not have crossover forms like the Five shape Fist ( Ng Ying Kyuhn) and Fu Hok Seung Ying Kyuhn ( Tiger and Crane shape fist) which is the result of the friendship between Wong Yan Lam (Hop Ga Lama) and Wong Fei Hung ( Hung- Ga).

GeneChing
05-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Only $18.95 (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/pr-bc01.html)

Tsuruken
05-16-2003, 06:24 PM
Sorry but ..... save your money!:(