PDA

View Full Version : Pads

foolinthedeck
04-28-2003, 03:06 PM
apart from using pads every now and then for x training or for something different, how many of you actually use pads TKD style? i have heard about some schools doing this (Kamon perhaps - denials welcome)

my opinion - pads= no sensitivity, no relaxation, no learning techniques and skills by 'sticking' hands, no learning proper distances, tendancy to bounce up and down on ball of feet, tendancy to use too much strength.

ideas gentlemen and ladies?

yuanfen
04-28-2003, 03:30 PM
How you use something is more important within limits than
how you use it.

As a kid I used to punch water buffaloes" hams- I was harmless.
Now I wouldnt like to hurt my bros.!

foolinthedeck
04-28-2003, 03:38 PM
huh?
so yuanfen hits hard in chi sau?
i always thought u were sensitive dude

yuanfen
04-28-2003, 08:56 PM
hit hard in chi sao? No always controlled-sensitively depends on the occasion and context.

John Weiland
04-28-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by foolinthedeck
apart from using pads every now and then for x training or for something different, how many of you actually use pads TKD style? i have heard about some schools doing this (Kamon perhaps - denials welcome)

my opinion - pads= no sensitivity, no relaxation, no learning techniques and skills by 'sticking' hands, no learning proper distances, tendancy to bounce up and down on ball of feet, tendancy to use too much strength.

ideas gentlemen and ladies?
Real men don't use pads.

AndrewS
04-28-2003, 10:00 PM
Put me down as a poseur then.

I hit focus mitts, heavy bags, air shields, the wallbag, the dummy, training partners, trees, cars, whatever is around.

My take is that if you aren't spending a significant amount of time practicing your hits, and expect to be able to fight, you're delusional. It doesn't matter how you practice; it matters that you do.

Andrew

OdderMensch
04-29-2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by foolinthedeck
apart from using pads every now and then for x training or for something different, how many of you actually use pads TKD style?

Forgive my ignorance, but how does one use pads TKD style?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by AndrewS

My take is that if you aren't spending a significant amount of time practicing your hits, and expect to be able to fight, you're delusional.

I have to agree with AndrewS on this one.

TjD
04-29-2003, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by John Weiland

Real men don't use pads.

what about when your feeling "not so fresh" down there? :D

Originally posted by AndrewS
My take is that if you aren't spending a significant amount of time practicing your hits, and expect to be able to fight, you're delusional.

i agree with this as well, however i don't think pads are required to practice your hits.

we have wall bags and the wooden dummy, what else do you need to test your power?

black and blue
04-29-2003, 05:26 AM
We don't use them for Chi Sau.

As posted in the Feeding Techniques thread...

"When I trained a little WT in Hungary, people wore chest pads, and some of the WT chaps here in England wear lightweight gloves.

"At Kamon there are sometimes milling exercises, and I believe pads and head gear is worn for this (I've not seen this done in the classes I've attended). But there are some pics somewhere on our website.

"We also use small handheld pads for punching drills - and sometimes just punch each other instead during these drills

"On a side note, Kamon is producing a DVD from a seminar Kevin Chan recently gave on SNT. The seminar was a look at the form and how it can be used for referencing, examining general structure etc. Chan Sifu demonstrated some of our Feeding Techniques too. I believe this DVD will be available soon. Check it out and have a look at the Feeding Techniques (WITHOUT pads... ouch!)."

If you don't me as asking, where do you train in the UK Foolinthedeck? Always good to meet up with fellow UK Wing Chunners.

Duncan

PQS
04-29-2003, 12:34 PM
In S.W. London W.T.
we use pads to practise drills , and I don't see a problem with that.
It is also a good exercise to improve footwork etc.
regards
Peter

reneritchie
04-29-2003, 01:05 PM
I've hit Thai pads, Karate kicking shields, etc. Of course, I've also hit a wide variety of (sometimes inappropriate) objects to see how they "feel" on impact, and how my alignment holds up. I'd exclusively hit humans, but they complain and file suit. And animals will either die or eat me. That leaves dummies, pads, walls, trees, waterfalls, elected officials, etc.

Mr Punch
05-02-2003, 03:25 AM
LOL at Rene's phrasing!

Here's a question... how is using pads any worse for your WC than using a wall bag?

Sometimes it's really useful for focusing, and more importantly for feeling what it's like when you hit something and it moves so you have to follow it, or it moves before you can hit it so you get to check that you're not extending too far and 'chasing' it or damaging structure (or yourself!:eek::D) when it moves.

They have their place in WC.

t_niehoff
05-02-2003, 04:21 AM
yuanfen wrote:

How you use something is more important within limits than
how you use it. JC

That's exactly right. The WCK punch has a different (in kind) mechanics than a boxer's or kickboxer's or karateka's punch. Just hitting pads or anything else -- if you're not using the proper mechanics -- won't help your WCK skills. Practice doesn't make perfect, it only makes permanent. TN

------------

AndrewS wrote:

I hit focus mitts, heavy bags, air shields, the wallbag, the dummy, training partners, trees, cars, whatever is around. AS

Me too. TN

My take is that if you aren't spending a significant amount of time practicing your hits, and expect to be able to fight, you're delusional. AS

Agreed. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that you can tell the quality of someone's WCK skill by the quality (most significantly power) of their punch. The WCK punch is the pillar on which everything else in WCK stands. TN

It doesn't matter how you practice; it matters that you do. AS

I disagree. If you want to get to a certain specific destination (WCK proficiency), you must travel at the very least in the general direction of that destination or you'll never find it. Going in any direction, even strenuously, won't get you there. This is why a good instructor is critical -- not that they can give it to you or take you there for *you can only find it on your own* -- but because they know the direction and area from their own experience (which is why they need to be able to do it to teach it) and can help guide you to the location. It's an arduous journey and you definately need to put in the effort (practice), but effort alone won't get you there IME. TN

Terence

Jim Roselando
05-02-2003, 06:56 AM
Hello,

Besides the normal wall bags, dummy, pads, phone books, etc. I am kind of lucky to work above a whse. that is loaded with good stuff to hit. Twice a week we get deliveries in with stacks of cases of candy. These boxes are big and piled from the ground up to about 6' so twice a week I go down a pound on these boxes. Since I dont have a hell of a lot of time to work out lately I find the time I spend drilling these boxes valuable for me. My sifu constantly mentioned to me:

Jim (thats me hehehe), no matter what you know or can do, make sure you can hit hard.

Regards,

NPMantis
05-21-2003, 04:31 AM
foolinthedeck, I agree with AndrewS, but then again it depends why you're training. If you want to defend yourself in a street situation you need to hit hard, no two ways about it, all the technique in the world isn't going to help you when some drunk thug with no style starts attacking you randomly, the adrenalin will be going and your technique will go to pot unless those are the kind of conditions you're used to training under (pressure testing your style).

Have a read of this, the guy knows what he's talking about :

http://www.geoffthompson.com/articles/article_real_self_defence.htm

stuartm
05-21-2003, 07:44 AM
Hi FITD,

We use pads for punching practise - they are useful for students to get a feeling of penetration whan they punch , and to practise the structure behind that punch. They are also useful for practising stepping punch at 45 degree angles.

Most importantly, punching a movingtarget cleanly and with energy is vital.

JMHO

Regards, Stuart

fa_jing
05-21-2003, 08:08 AM
Agreed. The various pads I've worked with basically train different aspects of WC/Fighting. I think the focus mitts might be the best for testing your punching form - it will only "pop" if you hit it right with penetration and looseness. The Airsheild is great as StuartM said for training footwork, covering distance, hitting while moving. I would add that it is a good test too to see if you can uproot the holder with your front or side kick. The heavy bag is good for conditioning and power development, you can still working on moving around it. The wallbag gives you a stationary target and checks your alignment.

All pads are good for relieving stress.

fa_jing
05-21-2003, 08:20 AM
oops! And how could I forget the Thai pads - great way to train round kicks, knees, and elbows - even if you don't favor the roundhouse kick, it's still a killer workout on your quads....

NPMantis
05-21-2003, 03:01 PM
...also as an after-thought you need to know HOW to hit pads, some people hurt their wrists if they do not know how to punch correctly, this is the sort of thing you perfect through pads.

I can't remember having that problem but I can remember it improved my distancing on a moving target a lot (which was rubbish to begin with!)