PDA

View Full Version : Combat Effectiveness

Shuul Vis
04-28-2003, 07:21 PM
I am going to visit an internal school in the near future and would like to know if there are any tell-tale signs that i should look for that reveal the teacher to be combat effective. I dont want to just walk up and smack him in the face yelling "Bring it bi tch!" so anything would help. I really want to devote alot of time to an internal art but not if the guy doesnt know the combative aspect. Thanks in advance.

MaFuYee
04-28-2003, 07:38 PM
sv,

if you've studied various arts for 8 years, you should understand the applications without being told much of anything.

at least, i would think so.

Shuul Vis
04-28-2003, 07:51 PM
i agree to some extent. but i feel that the internal arts are more than just applications of techniques when it comes to combat. i dont know maybe im not being clear enough im pretty tired today.

miscjinx
04-29-2003, 05:44 AM
Ask the teacher what the application is for a move you see...a few of them. This will lend weight to determining if the teacher knows the applications.

Ask the teacher if applications are taught in class - and how much. Hopefully you don't get told yes and jerked around later.
If there is - could ask to watch a sparring class or session, that is informational.

Could ask if there is any sparring or exercises to apply what is learned dynamically.

You may want to research the art first, a little. For example, tai chi has push hands - but it is amazing at how few tai chi schools practice push hands at all, let alone regularly. This is the basics and foundation to using tai chi combatively. I wouldn't call any tai chi school one that teaches the combative aspect if it neglects push hands. So find out what your style must have and make sure that school does it too - if possible.

Even if I join a class I think may be the one I am looking for, I find taking classes for 3 months will tell me for sure.

miscjinx
04-29-2003, 05:51 AM
That covers combativeness. Determining if a school teaches the necessary internal combative skills is another thing entirely. Basically it comes down to internal strength - is the school actually internal and teaches one how to move internally.

Ask the teacher where the power comes from in a strike...can they explain it at all.

What exercises are done to increase or feel internal strength or other principles. Push hands will help with listening skills and refine ones balance - on one level - for example.

Ask the teacher to push you - what does it feel like? Power for the ground up, or just the arms. Ask to push the teacher, what does it feel like - raw muscle strength or solid as a wall with no apparent effort on the teachers part.

These are just a few ideas. It is difficult to determine internal strength if you have never done it. Even if you have, more often than not you have to put a hand on them to feel what they are doing. Sometimes you can just see it - but that doesn't mean they are able to teach you to do it (I had a teacher like that once).

TaiChiBob
04-29-2003, 08:29 AM
Greetings..

Talk to the students.. that's where you will find out how well the teacher can teach..

Be well..

ZIM
04-29-2003, 08:59 AM
Talk to the students.. that's where you will find out how well the teacher can teach.. Good point. Sometimes you'll notice that everyone has their own pet theories for where the 'power' comes from, so there's a different explanation for each person. If its all consistent from teacher to lowest student, then IMO thats better.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-29-2003, 08:58 PM
i agree with checking out his students. try to see if you can watch the advanced students spar.

Shuul Vis
04-29-2003, 10:32 PM
thanks alot for the ideas.