PDA

View Full Version : In the forest of Martial there is no number one

Phenix
04-29-2003, 08:09 AM
In the country every generation there existed excellent people
In the forest of Martial ,forever , there is no number one.

This is a couple pair writing chinese martial artists are familiar with.

With my view, with my standard, how can others become better then me?

With your view, with your standard, how can I become better then you?

Can't just can't. Lots of things are very subjective. So, I guess learning to not using one's view and standard to measure others is important.

what do you think?

Grabula
04-29-2003, 08:22 AM
subjectivity is something many wing chun practitioners could learn...

sel
04-29-2003, 08:25 AM
i agree to a point. if i'm training at my school i do not measure myself against others. i measure by comparing myself today to myself last week. but if i happen to train or work out with someone from a different school i compare very critically. is what they learn as effective as what i learn? have they been taught with equal standard to me? can they teach me anything that will improve my own wing chun?
of course it is subjective, but even overall objective comparison to a different school can help one to learn, if only by verifying that what you are learning is superior. that is it works and you know why and how it works.

having said that, i must say i like that couple pair. it's a nice philosophy.

burnsypoo
04-29-2003, 08:35 AM
what sort of benefits can be achieved through measuring others?

Phenix
04-29-2003, 08:35 AM
Personal power comes from discipline and introspection, and it develops gradually over the years as you gain self-confidence. ---Simply Wilde

sel
04-29-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by burnsypoo
what sort of benefits can be achieved through measuring others?

if you are an instructor, you are always measuring others as you teach them. this in turn helps you to learn as well.

burnsypoo
04-29-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by sel
if you are an instructor, you are always measuring others as you teach them. this in turn helps you to learn as well.

Do you ever stop measuring your students against yourself?

sel
04-29-2003, 09:06 AM
you measure your students against a standard or skill level, not against yourself or anybody else

Grabula
04-29-2003, 09:17 AM
how do you develop a standard or skill level without comparison to anyone else?

sel
04-29-2003, 09:20 AM
you have the guidance and teaching standard set by your master.

reneritchie
04-29-2003, 09:53 AM
Excellent post Hendrik. Each tree in the Molam has its own beauty, but if it is continually dwelling on others' it will grow twisted and turned and spoil what nature so graciously gifted it with in the beginning.

Phenix
04-29-2003, 06:56 PM
Can one see what others pro and con in cultivation?
since we are all human there certainly has pro and con strength and weakness.

The final analysis, The bottom line, It is about how fine one's state is. Thus, as it was said, Stop at the touch point and don't have to unwrap it. That is the beauty. Beauty of not unwrapping. Appreciation of not unwrapping.

It is difficult to find a friend of "understanding sound". If one find one it is no need to compare who is higher or lower and both will go forward...

reneritchie
04-30-2003, 10:38 AM
Why the heck are we so worried so often about how other folks do their WCK anyway?