PDA

View Full Version : Sheldon's WC Archive Complaint Thread

reneritchie
04-30-2003, 12:10 PM
Here, I've done it for you.

The info on the HFY page of the WC Archive is what Gee sifu and John gave us (I still have the family tree in a box at home with other notes). I've stuck with it since the material from other sources has thusfar not stabalized (more/different still being released).

When I get something solid (hopefully the much-talked-about book if Gee sifu signs off on it), and time permits (I don't, unfortunately, have a staff of students who donate their work :( ), I will be able to do a proper update.

(Updates in general, however, are on hold as I will be transitioning to a new server shortly).

tparkerkfo
04-30-2003, 12:49 PM
Hi Rene,

I think you do a pretty fair job of pressenting things. I wont blame you for misinformation on stuff you didn't even write. LOL.

However, I would be carefull about updates. I think it is important to update things, but not to obliterate other stuff in the process. Revisionism tends to rewrite as they go along. It is nice to have a clear progression of how things were. For example, I can look back at things I have written and see how I have evolved. Let's say we prove 100% that wing chun did not come from shaolin, or that it did, but maybe it came from Gee Shim rather than Ng Mui. Should we update Yip Man's work or edit it? I think it is still worth while to keep originals around to remind us.

I am unemplyed for a while, so I have time if you need a small army, an army of one. LOL. US army joke. This offer actually applies to any one. I am willing to lend my services while I am jobless.

Tom
________
**** tubecom (http://www.****tube.com/)

reneritchie
04-30-2003, 01:00 PM
Hey Tom,

Sorry to hear about your employment situation! Thanks for the kind words on my site. I have a backlog of several articles to go up as soon as the server change goes through!

I agree with you WRT "revisionism". If you notice I present the information as the lineages themselves pass them down. Yip Man wrote of Ng Mui, so I have it there, labeled clearly and ethically as legend, but there and there alone. Likewise for Mui Shun, Jee Shim, Yat Chum, etc.

Where newer historical research comes in, IMHO, is in the articles section, where I have a variety of opinions, including Shaolin theories, non-Shaolin theories, etc.

And if you still have free time when I finish the server change, I just may hit you up, though as a friend and fellow enthusiast, never as an "army" LOL!