PDA

View Full Version : Someone who is stronger than you

IronFist
04-30-2003, 03:59 PM
I got this excerpt from a post at DragonDoor.

This guy benches 735 @ 209lbs.

I've edited the article to include just his lifts:

"Here is some examples of lifts that I perform raw and you can draw your own conclusions:

raw bench with blue and green bands attatched 440x1 after 5x5 speed sets and 4 sets of 3 work sets.

475x1 jm press,

500x5 with a closer grip and raw[hands between inside and outside lines], <---Holy ****!

405x1 seated military press

455 out of rack[bar was chin level],

175 dumbells x 18 reps, :eek:

405 x 17 reps bp. Holy ****

skull crushers-two 45's and a 25 on each side of curl bar for 15-20 reps, That's 255lbs, assuming the curl bar weighs 25lbs. Holy crap!

15 reps on pull-ups with 100 lb. dumbell hooked. At a bodyweight of 209, I assume. I've done 2 or 3 reps with 105lbs attached to a belt when I weighed around 170, but 15 reps (I assume it was one set), holy crap!!! :eek: :eek:

IronFist

abobo
04-30-2003, 05:23 PM
I remember reading on dragon door that some guy was doing pinch grip pullups with 75 lbs on a belt.

ewallace
05-01-2003, 07:30 AM
raw bench with blue and green bands attatched 440x1 after 5x5 speed sets and 4 sets of 3 work sets
Someone want to translate that for me?

MasterKiller
05-01-2003, 07:45 AM
Translation:

He can lift heavy objects.

Ford Prefect
05-01-2003, 07:47 AM
That guy can do skull crushers for more weight than I can bench. *******!

EW,

The bands add a lot of resistance to the lift. I have blue bands which are the weakest (they only add about 90+ lbs of resistance at the top of the lift) and green bands are thicker and add more. So you figure that 440x1 is really more like 650-675 x 1 at the top part of the lift.

inic
05-01-2003, 08:06 AM
15 reps on pull-ups with 100 lb. dumbell hooked. At a bodyweight of 209, I assume.

Bah!! is THAT all?!? HA! i'm waaay past that! Ok, so i'm not even close, but eventually i'll get to that point! no.... really.... I swear! ;)

ewallace
05-01-2003, 08:07 AM
Thanks. What about 4 sets of 3 work sets?

Suntzu
05-01-2003, 08:43 AM
bet'cha he cant do a butterfly kick......... hold up.... neither can i :(

Repulsive Monkey
05-01-2003, 09:17 AM
I'm sorry but not one single thing he said was impressive. Maybe i'm going a little misty, but at what point am I meant to exude awe???

ewallace
05-01-2003, 09:23 AM
Of course not. Lifting weights is a sign of Chi imbalance. :)

Suntzu
05-01-2003, 09:29 AM
he had me @ "skull crushers-two 45's and a 25 on each side of curl bar for 15-20 reps...":D all *I* would do is get my skull crushed... but i guesn not everyone can be a mutant *shrug*...

ShifuBinks
05-01-2003, 10:00 AM
Am I the only one who studied past 9th grade geometry? Just remember a simple theorom: whatever a guy says he can lift on the internet, divide by 4. So the guy is benching a buck 80, 2 dollars tops. Dude, these alleged lifts, if true, would make him pound for pound one of, if not THE, strongest cats in the world. And who the bloodclot tries to figure out their one rep max. on skull crushers. Yeah, that's usually the first thing people ask right?
Hey you lift weights? Really? How much do ya skull crush? No, not bench, skull crush. Wow you can skull crush more than I can bench? Why don't you get off this forum and go become famous? Oh, because you're full of B.S.? What's that, your a 14 year old kid and your only developed muscle is your right arm?

Ford Prefect
05-01-2003, 12:00 PM
Shifu,

While claims can obviously be exaggerated, there are people that bench in the 730 range near his bodyweight. Most of these guys are from a powerlifting club called Westside Barbell. It could be a coincidence, but Westside BB is a pioneer in the use of the colored jumpstretch bands that he mentions as well as the use of HEAVY skull crushers to build tricep strength for benching.

The original forum the post was from, Dragondoor, is a forum geared more towards powerlifting and functional strength, so it would be no surprise somebody would post an excerpt from an article by westside barbell there. I wouldn't be surprised if it was from an article written by George Halbert who has been in the 198 & 220 lbs weight class while benching up to 733 lbs in competition. (not the best westside bb bencher either) Other guys from the club have squatted 1,025 lbs in comps and and deadlifted 800+ lbs.

Golden Arms
05-01-2003, 12:22 PM
If he can do that, cool for him, if he is a 14 year old kid, he is probably laughing if he knows how many of you are ooing and ahhing over something it may have taken him 30 seconds and a couple of red bulls to type. Really why even worry about it, its like taking someone talking about their fighting skills at face value on the internet. How accurately do most people judge their own skillsets when they put them on a resume, let alone the internet?

ShifuBinks
05-01-2003, 12:28 PM
I don't really follow bodybuilding or powerlifting competitions, the claims sounded bogus to me. If you say they are possible, I believe you. But seriously guys, do you think most people are going to give you their real bench max on the internet? I bet they add about 15% AT LEAST. It may be true and it may not.

ewallace
05-01-2003, 12:36 PM
If the person stating it is known by anyone in the powerlifting world he will have ample opportunity to prove that he wasn't lying about it. :)

IronFist
05-01-2003, 03:22 PM
Haha, oh **** I forgot to post his name. It was Jesse Kellum, supposedly the world's best bencher. Anyway, if it's true then his record would be verifiable.

Granted, I'm about 99% sure that his record was set with a bench suit, but still, that doesn't mean he's not still a very strong bencher.

But why train bench press when there's more important things to work on, like chi blasts :rolleyes:

So, ShifuBinks, since you weren't impressed at all by his bench of 735 at 209lbs, how much can you bench?

Or are you one of those "lifting weights is bad for kung fu" type people?

IronFist

IronFist
05-01-2003, 03:23 PM
And for the record, I also have no idea what

raw bench with blue and green bands attatched 440x1 after 5x5 speed sets and 4 sets of 3 work sets.

means.

Nor do I know what a "jm press" is.

IronFist

Golden Arms
05-01-2003, 04:18 PM
I lift weights myself..and will be the first to say this: Ironfist..

I think the bench press has about as much use in everyday life as Chi Blasts do. And I have hit guys that can bench 1.5 to 2x what I can harder than they can hit back....according to them..so what is your point..its an excercise..some are genetically more gifted to specialize in developing muscle..but it has little to do with fighting..it can enhance what you have if you are a fighter, but even then..lifting heavy is not the best strategy a lot of the time...Everything has its place, and the lifts are really impressive..but so are the fajings of a good martial artist, yet people have no problem talking sh!t about those as if they are all bs.

ShifuBinks
05-01-2003, 07:20 PM
I wasn't impressed with his bench because I have read many people claiming to bench buicks all over the 'net. Believe me, if I saw a guy benching 300 pounds I'd tip my hat to him. Since you asked, last time I benched I did 185 for about 5-6 reps. At the height of my lifting days, as a junior in high school, I once did 235 or maybe even 240, nothing special, but I was proud of it, being a long lanky son of a gun (I've been told I resemble Lurch on crack). I would like to break that barrier now that I am 4 years older. But I'm not even back to where I was. I really don't know how much value weightlifting has, I've seen some pretty strong cats get tooled in the octagon, but it seems to help Phil Baroni, then again, I don't even know if his power comes from weightlifting. I am leaning towards agreeing with Golden Arms though, it has limited use in a real fight. For example, I would put my $$$ on the worst guy to fight in UFC 42 over say Arnold. One particular BJJ move comes to mind, the armbar, if you get it it becomes their arm against your whole body. And these guys may have thick necks, but they can still get choked. Oh another thing, to be benching that much, don't you have to be on something? And I'm not talking about Minute Maid.

Cheese Dog
05-01-2003, 11:29 PM
Hmmm...

Well, I certainly can't bench 735 lbs. at 209.

BUT, if I keep eating twinkies and ice cream, I might bench 209 at 735 lbs.!!
;)

Seriously, I would be very surprised if he was natural.

CD Lee
05-02-2003, 07:40 PM
But seriously guys, do you think most people are going to give you their real bench max on the internet? I bet they add about 15% AT LEAST. It may be true and it may not.

But seriously, yes on this forum I do expect guys to tell the truth about bench presses. Unless you get over 300 lbs. on the bench, it is simply what normal folk working hard can do. I have not seen anybody on this forum posting numbers that I thought were too awesome to be true. 'Maybe' on DD, but not here.

What I do expect 'here' are guys saying they can whip @ss on the street and take out everybody else. To which, if we are wise, we simply laugh and hope the guy can at least defend his life in a real fight.

I would also bet for reality sake, the guys I have seen in real life that can bench press more than 300, are not guys I have ever wanted to mess with. They would be my last choice in a fight, even if I thought I could take 'em out. That is pretty good self defense without taking a single martial arts lesson.

SanSoo Student
05-02-2003, 09:41 PM
Wow pull ups with weights over 50 pounds...
I just do my punny pull ups with 10 pound ankle weights at 3 sets of 12, I weight about 175-177.
Bench-wise I never broke 180.
My max for 1 set is 155...
:( :( always ALL-NATURAL!!
BUT...NEED MORE PROTEIN MORE CREATINE MORE SUPPLEMENTS!!
:p

IronFist
05-03-2003, 08:01 PM
Holy **** you guys, if he actually is the best bencher in the world then it would be easily verifiable. It's not like he's even a member here or at DD so why would he lie?

Yes, I'm sure the world's elite powerlifters use steroids, and I'm sure they use bench suits, too. So what? It's still impressive numbers that I thought the people here would think were interesting. This thread wasn't meant to turn into a ****ing contest. If anything it was supposed to be motivational or something.

IronFist

IronFist
05-03-2003, 08:02 PM
PS - 9 times out of 10 I think lifting suits are stupid, but that's beside the point here.

IronFist

Former castleva
05-04-2003, 03:38 AM
I do not think Ironfist mentioned the crime of fighting in the first place.