PDA

View Full Version : Promoted to blue belt

DragonzRage
10-10-2001, 11:18 PM
Just thought I'd share with you guys that I finally got promoted to blue belt in Bjj last night. Yeah, yeah for all this time I've been talking crap on this board I was only a white belt in jits ;) My main instructor has been telling me for several months that I was near ready, but was still lacking on a couple technical points in his opinion. My grappling strategy has been more oriented towards a Shoot style approach, which is all well and good, but doesn't automatically equate to a sound jiu jitsu base, I guess. The Machado curriculum I am learning is predominantly gi training, which has really forced me to work the jiu jitsu aspects. So he's been telling me for awhile that once i got a stronger guard game I'd be a blue belt. So last night he had me focusing on guard and tapping all the white belts (a tiring task, but nothing too spectacular...most of them aren't so great) and then rolled with me for a bit. Then he simply told me to wear a blue belt the next time I came to class and congratulated me. Kinda came out of nowhere...I had no idea I was being tested. But whatever...I guess I'm going to the shop to buy a belt this weekend. Yea!

MIKSANSOO
10-10-2001, 11:20 PM
congrats dragon! hey were you at the muay thai fights on the 27th?

"you can take my life, but not my confidence"
Jimmy H. Woo

Snake
10-10-2001, 11:21 PM
Congrats man! Glad you got your promotion. Wear the blue belt with pride!

Snake

Stranger
10-10-2001, 11:22 PM
Congratulations on getting the promotion.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

Jaguar Wong
You mean you gotta buy it from somewhere else?!? What kind of money machine are the Machados running? They're supposed to have a bunch of cheaply constructed wholesale belts that they sell to you for triple the cost.

Anyway, Congrats. All that trash talking and you were only a white belt (not that it's bad, I've never tapped a white belt before...Unless you count my bro - he's had 2-3 classes, and I had 1 :)).

Jaguar Wong

Watchman
First of all, congrats!

Second of all, could you elaborate for an ignoramus like me the difference between a "Shoot style" approach vs. the "sound jiu-jitsu base" you mentioned?

Thanks.

Water Dragon
10-10-2001, 11:23 PM
Excellent!!! Where that belt with pride, you know you earned it.

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom

Johnny Hot Shot
10-10-2001, 11:23 PM
Congradulation!! I dont want to take away your steam but how does the Machado style differ from the Gracie style? Does it have to do with Gi's? Because I have been Training BJJ for a few months now and we never wear Gi's.

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

qeySuS
10-10-2001, 11:32 PM
Heh that has to be the coolest test ever :) When you dont even know it.

Also like that there is no belt cost and buying the belt and stuff.

Free thinkers are dangerous!

brainpan
10-11-2001, 06:44 AM
Congratulations! I'm still a long way off from a blue belt. Ah well, gotta keep training.

<hr >
<font size=2 type="helvetica" color="blue">Hong Kong Phooey is a #1 superguy! </font>

Ryu
10-11-2001, 06:54 AM
Great work!! :)
I guess this means no more trolling then? :D

JK
Blue belt in BJJ is a serious belt! Congrats, and be prepared to fight hard now! :D

Ryu

http://www.jkdu.co.za/pics/logos/jkduhpma1.gif

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

krome
10-11-2001, 07:08 AM
Congrats

Use what works not what looks pretty.

Grahf1
10-11-2001, 08:04 AM
Which Machado school do you train at? Who is your instructor?

Just curious because I have trained at one of the machado schools a few times.

chokeyouout2
10-11-2001, 08:10 AM
Don't ever wash your belt!It takes away from the qi.Seriously, thats one helluva accomplishment.Now, go triangle some purples and remember, the whites are gunning for you.Watch for sand baggers!

When you'r telling one of your little stories, here's a idea; Have a point, it makes it so much more interesting for the reader.

Tvebak
10-11-2001, 09:48 AM
I really like the way your school does graduations, keep up the good(hard) work:)

Chris McKinley
10-11-2001, 09:55 AM
Congratulations! One thing that can be counted on is that a blue belt in BJJ, unlike certain other arts sometimes, is a rank that one definitely has to work hard to attain; they don't give 'em away! :)

Ralek
10-11-2001, 04:50 PM
A blue belt in BJJ is the equivalent of a 10th degree black belt in karate. Or it is the equivalent of a instructor certificate in kung fu. Actually it's beyond the karate black belt and kung fu certificate.

A BJJ blue belt can destroy any kung fu or karate guy.

I am the Grand Ultimate Fist

wu_de36
10-11-2001, 05:36 PM
way to go man...

get the Bear Brand blue belts.. they're a lot more durable than most stuff.

Nexus
10-11-2001, 05:38 PM
Congratulations!

- Nexus

Budokan
10-11-2001, 05:48 PM
Shut up, Rolls.

Congrats, Dragonzrage, on the promotion.

K. Mark Hoover

Tigerstyle
10-11-2001, 06:36 PM
"get the Bear Brand blue belts.. they're a lot more durable than most stuff."

Screw that! get a really cheap belt, because it will motivate you to work hard to get the next belt before your blue one falls apart ;)

Seriously, congratulations! How long did it take, if you don't mind my asking?