PDA

View Full Version : Splashing Hands

Ghostface
04-30-2003, 04:17 PM
It's not as popular as other styles.....just wanted to hear some opnions on how effective you think it is.

You rush your opponent with fast punches and kicks.

http://www.internalkungfu.org/splashing_hands.htm

carly
04-30-2003, 04:37 PM
http://www.internalkungfu.org/fame.htm
It doesn't look very impressive. Are you looking for good kung fu in LA?
That isn't hard to find.

joedoe
04-30-2003, 04:40 PM
Hard to say from those 2 short clips.

Ghostface
04-30-2003, 04:41 PM
No not really....especially since I'm on the east coast....I wanted to see if anybody had practiced splashing hands or seen it in action.

Ghostface
04-30-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by joedoe
Hard to say from those 2 short clips.

It's hard to find info on it....it's rare.....but supposedly you can kick the sh*t outta most with it.

joedoe
04-30-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Ghostface

It's hard to find info on it....it's rare.....but supposedly you can kick the sh*t outta most with it.

Supposedly every art can kick the sh!t outta all the others :)

Royal Dragon
04-30-2003, 08:10 PM
Especially the Rare ones :D

SevenStar
04-30-2003, 09:07 PM
those links aren't working for me. I've heard of the style though. In the early nineties, james mcneil was trying to promote it via video tapes sold through unique publications. Also, he has a proogram where you can have intense private sessions that run several weeks per session at his school, Nine Little Heaven Kung Fu.

Becca
04-30-2003, 09:36 PM
I've heard of it as well. It is one of the core disciplins of Shaolin. It's said that someone who studies it can eventually brake glass bottles with one or two fingers. I have an older VHS tape about Jet Li and Shaolin Kung Fu in which it is demonstrated. It's kind of hard to follow, though. The subtitles are real bad. It's good for reviewing techique, though, and for tripping out non-MA people. It shows a 60-year-old monk pulling a 300lb roller with his scrotem, called Golden Egg, and an 80-year-old monk balanceing on one finger, called finger skill. OUCH!

Serpent
04-30-2003, 09:58 PM
Hey, I've seen that too!

And I can break a bottle with one finger. Get a bottle, stick one finger in the mouth and then slam the bottle into the ground or a wall or something.

Easy.

Becca
04-30-2003, 10:05 PM
Still gonna hurt... How 'bout Golden Egg?;)

Serpent
04-30-2003, 10:07 PM
Hmmm, maybe I'll give it a go. It would have to be one well greased roller though!

joedoe
04-30-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Becca
Still gonna hurt... How 'bout Golden Egg?;)

Now that is gonna hurt. The egg(s) will not be golden but more a purple/black color if you try that one :D

Serpent
04-30-2003, 10:22 PM
Assuming they're not simply ripped clean off.

:eek:

Becca
04-30-2003, 10:30 PM
What's so clean about ripping them off!?!?

joedoe
04-30-2003, 10:33 PM
At lesat you wouldn't have to wash them anymore :D

Serpent
04-30-2003, 10:38 PM
OK then. Ripped filthy off.

Becca
04-30-2003, 10:41 PM
Hmmm... Then you could use splashing hands to clean whats left?

Serpent
04-30-2003, 10:50 PM
You'd have splashing nuts.

Ew.

joedoe
04-30-2003, 10:56 PM
Now if GDA were in on this conversation he would just say that he would leave them to rot and pus up. That is Ew :D

Serpent
04-30-2003, 10:58 PM
'Cept his already fell off due to rot and pus, so the point is moot.

Royal Dragon
05-01-2003, 05:06 AM
This thread has gone horribly wrong. Whatever has infected the "talk to the Go Qi girls" thread is spreading!!

apoweyn
05-01-2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Ghostface

Never put stock in that statement. It's tantamount to saying that a used car 'runs great.' Meaningless.

Stuart B.

shaolin kungfu
05-01-2003, 02:48 PM
This thread has gone horribly wrong. Whatever has infected the "talk to the Go Qi girls" thread is spreading!!

Maybe it's a new strain of sars!:eek:

Serpent
05-01-2003, 05:10 PM
Virtual SARS - Sexually Amorphous Random Subjects.

Becca
05-01-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by apoweyn

Never put stock in that statement. It's tantamount to saying that a used car 'runs great.' Meaningless.

Stuart B.

Good point. Besides, any style incorporated well works well. But if you don't know how to use it properly in a fight, you could become a hazard to yourself... Would still be cool to be able to brake bottles with one finger (by hitting it with that one finger, not sticking it on your finger THEN braking it)

Royal Dragon
05-02-2003, 05:47 AM
I've got some cool footage of guys breaking rocks with thier fingers!!! :p

dezhen2001
05-02-2003, 06:22 AM
ive seen sime clips of guys breaking rocks/pebbles with their fingers too - kinda interesting.

LOL at serpents SARS though :D

i never really heard of "splashing hands" or James McNeil before - guess hes a US phenomenon?:p

dawood

Becca
05-02-2003, 07:10 AM
Slashing Hands seems like it would be an easy skill to work on. You woldn't have to fight your sel to keep it up cause it's not as brutal as some but very effective once you get into the upper ranks, so to speak. Imagin having to have someone else open your pickle 'cause you keep breaking the jar!

FranklinFick
06-30-2003, 10:39 PM
Hello everyone.

just wanted to let you know that I have updated my website with more videos of the splashing hands browns/forms and one video of some misc. applications.

www.internalkungfu.org

they are in the Video Clips section of the webpage

I know this thread kind of degenerated but if anyone would like to know something about the system I will be more than happy to answer any questions.

Franklin

Yung Apprentice
06-30-2003, 11:36 PM
ive seen sime clips of guys breaking rocks/pebbles with their fingers too - kinda interesting.

Do you mean, like a movie, or an actual demonstration of this? Just curious.

David Jamieson
07-01-2003, 06:06 AM
I heard of this when Jim Macneil started selling videos of it some time ago.

He teaches it alongside his little 9 heaven system.
Pretty good stuff overall from an outsider perspective.

Is this guy a student of Mcneils?

cheers

p.s teh vids aren't working for me on thios system, i'll switch to another and check em later

Losttrak
07-01-2003, 06:15 AM
Dewd we used to watch the Splashing Hands video for kicks(...laughs). The most hilarious thing is his student, Gary Doughty (?!?), and the expressions he makes as he gets reamed by McNeil. Lol. He needs a fan club lol.

Anyways I liked the foot movement in the sets... feet change but body maintains height/stillness. The concept is good but I always take ask myself a question before I buy into any particular system like this. Sure, I can engage and get a strike in... but can I generate enuff power to end a fight?

fidon
07-01-2003, 08:20 AM
sooo many styles with so many names, i doubt anyone can keep track of them all.

joedoe
07-01-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by FranklinFick
Hello everyone.

just wanted to let you know that I have updated my website with more videos of the splashing hands browns/forms and one video of some misc. applications.

www.internalkungfu.org

they are in the Video Clips section of the webpage

I know this thread kind of degenerated but if anyone would like to know something about the system I will be more than happy to answer any questions.

Franklin

Can you give us a quick run-down of the basics of the style and its history? Thanks in advance :)

FranklinFick
07-01-2003, 08:06 PM
well the basics are different strikes, blocks, and kicks and these are always combined with footwork. The most basic footwork is the shuffle.

These basics are combined into short "forms" called browns. (some of these are demonstrated on my website) There are 10 browns all together. These are practiced on both sides, with the right foot forward and vise versa.

Then there are 10 advances. These are also short "forms" but train more advanced movements and footwork.

When training you move between the basics, browns, and advances with no set pattern or if someone is leading a class they call out an order and the students try to string the movements together as fast as they can.

The goal is to have the body move as fast as it can. The training can be very hard and also includes 2 person drills to work on timing, applications, sensitivity, and reactions.

The longer forms of the system include:
4 corners form
small cross form

As for the history, I heard that this style was taught to the monks that had the job of gaurding the temple gates. I do know that the emphsis of this style is fighting and not forms so this could make sence.

I learned the system form James McNeil. If you would like more information on both him and his teacher please visit his website: www.littlenineheaven.com

I know that he recently completed a new series with the complete system on video/dvd that is available at his site. It would be a great resource if you are more interested in the system.

I hope this helps.
Franklin

Shaolin-Do
07-01-2003, 08:30 PM
Hmm...
Interesting.
Does seem like it would be a little hard to make those attacks powerful.
But if you could incorporate good power into that technique, would be nice.
I liked the footwork.

joedoe
07-01-2003, 08:40 PM
I like the body movement and footwork. Very smooth movement.

How do you train your power generation?

FranklinFick
07-01-2003, 08:55 PM
The power comes from being relaxed, speed, and proper timing. the hand and the foot land at the same time.

also the hands are in balance with each other, the hand going out has as much force as the hand coming back, like ripping
and the hald coming back is going to rebound off either the opponents arm/leg or your own body and strike again and again

don't worry there is some power there.

Franklin

Shaolin-Do
07-01-2003, 08:58 PM
Hmm...
Seems interesting.
Any books available on it?
I think it was already mentioned in this thread but I dont feel like rereading the whole **** thing.

FranklinFick
07-01-2003, 09:01 PM
sorry no books on the subject.

My teacher does have a video/dvd series teaching the complete system:

www.littlenineheaven.com

go to the store on the website.

Franklin

joedoe
07-01-2003, 09:24 PM
Thanks for taking the time to answer. Interesting looking style.

Becca
07-01-2003, 09:27 PM
Sweet.:)

FF- Does your style incorporate any of Flowing Motion? Your Brown 6 looked very similar to part of that form.

FranklinFick
07-01-2003, 09:43 PM
sorry I don't know what flowing motion is????

can you please elaborate, what style is it from?

I don't know much of the history, I know that my grandteacher learned from a general in Taiwan and also latter from Ark Wong here in Los Angeles CA

Franklin

Becca
07-01-2003, 10:00 PM
So far the only style I know of that uses it is White Dragon Fist. This form is the base of our style. It is rooted in the theory that one cannot effectivly move from a position of tension to a position of tension. One can only move from a position of relaxation to a position of tension.

Flowing movement is considered by White Dragon Fist to be the hight of Kung Fu perfection and is learned through practicing forms such as Flowing Motion and Flowing Water. It will teach the student to free the body and mind of tension. Most individuals will not find themselves in an actuall physical fight, but psychological confrontation is an every day occurance. When the mind and body are relaxed, the mental state over all is relaxed, freeing the mind to perform at its best is stressfull situations.

The reason I was interested is that your style is it's the only one I've found so far that is similar in this approch to fighting. All of the video clips were very reminisent of our self-defence forms.