PDA

View Full Version : Which is the most common attack??

The_Student
05-01-2003, 05:30 AM
Hi everyone,

I have heard that the most common attack on our streets should be the right hook, this with the left leg in front. :confused:

Would you put down your own experience about this matter, even if you have most experience beeing attackt by a spinning backflip.....please share with us!!

guohuen
05-01-2003, 08:45 AM
Most of the attacks I've seen were initially overhead right hooks. Usually with one or two knuckles protruded. Secondly I'd say big right haymakers coming up from the floor.
The overhead right is probably the favored punch of wifebeaters. I target that arm for immediate breakage.:D

Repulsive Monkey
05-01-2003, 09:27 AM
How about the one that brings you down or the one you didn't see coming?

Serpent
05-01-2003, 06:03 PM
What about the headbutt? What about the mate smacking you from behind? Palm hidden knife?

Etc...

The_Student
05-02-2003, 12:07 PM
well, you could go on and on and on which attacks that are possible, but the question was THE most commond attack. Is it the right hook, it's seems as it is.
But is the headbutt :D the choise of attack among streetsmart people, it's the most surprising, but you have to be close.

Then...as monkey said, which attack is it that makes the way to the target? Is it often the right hook that ends a fight or does it miss most of the times??

Please feel free to share!!

:cool:

Merryprankster
05-02-2003, 06:14 PM
You forgot the roundhouse swipe immediately followed by the drunken frat boy tackle.

PLEASE don't confuse the roundhouse with a proper hook.

Former castleva
05-03-2003, 03:19 PM
You should include clothe grabbing.

JKogas
05-03-2003, 07:14 PM
Why has no one mentioned the tackle?? I've seen that more than I have ANY other attack.

-John

Repulsive Monkey
05-05-2003, 12:39 AM
How about sticks being followed by stones?

scotty1
05-05-2003, 02:19 AM
"hmmm
How about sticks being followed by stones?"

:confused:

Happy
05-05-2003, 08:46 AM
Just straight, "hard and fast" as possible left and right punches while charging straight in.

A nice side step and a kick to the knee, slows this down. :D

Happy - Sifu

ghoniba
05-07-2003, 08:24 AM
Just watch a hockey came long enough and you'll see the most often used techniques.

Glenn

Becca
05-14-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Happy
A nice side step and a kick to the knee, slows this down. :D

This slows everything down. ;)

But the right hook is so efective!!! Especially if you are using it to distract them from noticing the knee heading for thier groin. They duck back to get away from the punch and totally forget to watch the lower gaurd.

yenhoi
05-15-2003, 11:38 AM
Seems to me the most common would be, in order:

shove (push)
grab
wild punch ( by no means what we in the know consider a hook, in other words, an "incorrect" template.)

:D

kirionkane
05-18-2003, 01:13 PM
on ebay, you can search "street fights" and you buy videos of fights caught on tape...it seems the very most common stuff is

multiple punches from a right hand, holding front of shirt with left hand...like hocky fights.
in "street brawls video" the only left hand i remember being throw was when a guy came walking up to another guy while pointing at him with his right hand, then he threw a left.

other fights were more like bare knuckle boxing but faster and wilder, and the fighters didnt do much to block each other.

and a few did try to tackle by doing to waist.

every martial artist should view these tapes. you will see that oneone is going to hold still while you work a self defense move like we do in class.

Becca
05-18-2003, 01:32 PM
As has been said repetedly already, the self-defence forms are to teach mechanics and basic technique, i.e. how to kick/block/choke/ect and how to move from one stance to another. It is up to the person to take it to the next level and make the moves work in real life.

kirionkane
05-18-2003, 01:54 PM
yea becca, that seems to be the case in every class i ever attended, i wish i had someone to train with on the weekend that would pretend to be an aggresser like that, just to see if i could react fast enough....hard to find someone that interested in MA.

those punches on the tapes looked more like a sloppy combo of a hook and straight punch and not really either one.

But they were fighting with heart and thats one thing punks have on their side,,they actually WANT TO HURT YOU, and dont care if they get hurt as they dont have to work the next day, dont care what parents think about them as the probabaly live grandma to grandma, and to dumb to know legal liability.

Becca
05-18-2003, 06:15 PM
I would say to check out the other MA schools in your area, but I also know you aren't likely to find that knid of school in N. Mississippi. But you might try boxing gyms. From what I understand, they like to beat on MA types, and you can try your hand with several skill types and levels. I've just recently started sparring on a regular basis. My school isn't large, but we have a very diverce mix of backgrounds there.

guohuen
05-19-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Becca
As has been said repetedly already, the self-defence forms are to teach mechanics and basic technique, i.e. how to kick/block/choke/ect and how to move from one stance to another. It is up to the person to take it to the next level and make the moves work in real life.

That's one of the best things I've read on this board yet.

ShaolinWood
05-20-2003, 10:08 AM
in my experience I would say it depends in what content the fight is about; bar brawl, mugging or just ****ed of jock blowing off steam...
Most bar fights are caused by A: Semi-drunk Rugby players using lines like:"What are you looking at" then just wanting to "teach you a lesson" these dont really last long if he smacks you to the ground immediately,
B: Drunk Rugby player thinks you looked at his girlfriend or you bumped his beer. These can get out of hand, they often use wild punches with intention to "smuther you": smack you to the ground without giving you a chance to counter.
My answer to "What attack used most": I would agree with Right hook to face. But usually with left hand holding you off.