PDA

View Full Version : Dummies, striking surfaces etc...

Rolling Elbow
05-01-2003, 09:42 AM
dai mui fa bot gwa gwun jong-

http://www.plumblossom.net/Articles/Inside_Kung-Fu/March2003/SpearText.html

Spear dummy in choy lay fut.. apparently rotates and has hanging objects for thrusting techniques. I am interested in seeing this or any other dummies that people know of in order to gather more training ideas for myself (empty handed or with weapons)..

I built a mook jong a while back with PVC and hard wood arms, interested in seeing what monstrosities other people have built or are currently using. Striking dummies or ideas of any kind are welcome!

Rolling Elbow
05-01-2003, 11:44 AM
guys, don't let my post die, hook me up with some fotos or diagrams will ya? Hell, personal home pics are also welcom!! (of everything that is NOT naked or HUMAN!)

Golden Arms
05-01-2003, 12:02 PM
You DO realize you are asking for a KUNG FU related post, on KFO right? The likelyhood of you getting a response that is not a troll or about girls or Iraq is less than your chance to win the state lottery. That being said, one wooden dummy I work out on is a log with holes for baseball bats. there are two holes in the center, and then two that allow the bats to stick off to each side diagonally like a person would hold their arms if they were about to clash a pair of cymbals. Also, there is a metal leg that rotates so you can sweep it or practice kicking the foot or knee.

The holes are sort of like this:

____

0 0

Rolling Elbow
05-01-2003, 12:27 PM
That sounds interesting..

but how does it stand? how does the leg swing? Is it hung between a ceiling cord and ground cord like a punching bag and given movement that way? I was thinking a dummy strung between two bunji cords so you could hit him and then adjust your distancing on the return would be of interest as well..if the dummy doies not always bounce back to the same place there is no way of just guessing where he will be. you actually have to flow and adjust accordingly. This is one I am currently working on...

Shaolin-Do
05-01-2003, 12:32 PM
I use a heavy bag, have iron fist equipment, I have thought about buying a mook jong, just havent really had money. I also have 5 small makiwara set up for pheonix eye fist practicing.

set up like
[ ]

[ ]

[ ] [ ] [ ]

Outside bottom 2 are little lower than the middle bottom one.
Its set up like the point in the crevace(sp?) between your nose and lip, your "heaven's gate" point, solar plexus, and 2 floating ribs.

Shaolin-Do
05-01-2003, 12:33 PM
son of a b!tch.

. [ ]

. [ ]

[ ] [ ] [ ]

Golden Arms
05-01-2003, 12:51 PM
The one I usually work out on is held by two wooden poles that run horizontal through the body, which are in turn anchored to walls..this gives it a springyness and stuff, but doesnt allow it to move as much as what you are describing. the leg is shaped sort of like an "L" upside down, without the sharp bend, and it sticks out from a lower hold in the dummy...all the legs are arms can be held in with "e clips" that go through holes on the backside so tehy can rotate and move if struck but not come out. There is also some thing adhesive foam padding between the arms, on the head area, and lower body area so you can practice pheonix eye , tiger, etc strikes on it as well. Not a necessity though, if you do it enough you wont need foam to hit on :D

Shaolin-Do
05-01-2003, 01:24 PM
Masterkiller is a dummy and polished marble and ebony counter tops are striking surfaces.

Rolling Elbow
05-01-2003, 01:47 PM
Golden Arm..

what you are describing is essentially a mook jong with more responsive arms and legs.. kind of like the "human response dummy" referred to in Michael Janich's mook construction manual.

What do you guys think of the bunjy cord responsive dummy? Might take my head off..will have to experiment.

Have you guys made homemade wall bags for fist conditioning? I've only really used a rubber mallet or hit my mook with a small bit of padding around the body.

IronFist
05-01-2003, 03:38 PM
Here's my dummy.

My dummy rules. (http://woodendummy.4dw.com)

IronFist

sticky fingers
05-02-2003, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Rolling Elbow
Golden Arm..

Have you guys made homemade wall bags for fist conditioning? I've only really used a rubber mallet or hit my mook with a small bit of padding around the body.

I'm using 2 canvas bank bags (the cloth bags banks use to carry money) , one inside the other for double thickness, filled with beach sand. A rope is tied to the top to seal the bags while the other end of the rope can be attached to something. I usually tie it to a staircase railing with the bag resting against a wall - hey presto instant wallbag. Or I tie it to a high wooden beam so the bag can swing freely for a moving target.
It cost me $0 to make (I can get those bags from work), can be made in 2 minutes, can be taken down or put up anytime, anywhere. I've since made another bag filled with gravel, unfortunately my hands aren't quite tough enough for that yet :(

My ultimate ambition is to have a room full of these swinging bags for my Ninja obstacle course muahahahaha!!

MasterKiller
05-02-2003, 06:36 AM
Masterkiller is a dummy and polished marble and ebony counter tops are striking surfaces

What the heck does that mean?

GeneChing
05-02-2003, 10:52 AM
We ran a nice pic of a Choy Lay Fut Dummy in our Mar/Apr 2003 issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=317) on page 72. Janet Gee was using it, and I beleive she trained under Doc Fai Wong for a while...

Rolling Elbow
05-02-2003, 11:02 AM
lol Ironfist...

I know, I USED YOUR PLANS!!!!! except mine doesn't look as good. I guestimated allot of measurements near the end. I've got a pic somewhere of ol mookie.. I'll get it to you guys if I can find it and scan it.

Rolling Elbow
05-02-2003, 11:33 AM
GeneChing

can you break the law and reproduce the article and pics for me?

Thanks!

Golden Arms
05-02-2003, 12:18 PM
One easy thing to do for a wall bag is to get a nice army surplus pack..cut off all the metal parts and then fill it with beans or sand, or heck even clothes if that is your taste. yo ucan then hang it or strap it to anything and hit away!