PDA

View Full Version : Royal I called that School

Black Jack
05-01-2003, 11:44 AM
Royal,

I gave a call to that shaolin kung fu school which opened in the area as I became a bit curious to know what the hell astroplanatery karate was all about.:rolleyes:

To be honest he sounds like a nice enough guy, I found out he is a member of my gym and thats why you see a pile of the flyers their, but I would not recommend someone who is looking for self-defense to go to the school, which is a shame because it would be nice to have a good gong fu school in the local area to recommend people to who wanted to try the chinese arts.

This guy is all about KUNG FU THE LEGEND CONTINUES if you know what I mean. I asked him what kind of style he teaches and he said, after three direct questions for a more specific answer, just I teach Shaolin.

BJ-"What system of kung fu?"

Dude-"Shaolin"

BJ-"What style or substyle of Shaolin"

Dude-"Ahhhh...Shaolin"

BJ-"Ok....any certain specific style of Shaolin or Chinese Gung Fu?"

Dude-"I teach Shaolin"

He told me and this is where you cma guys will have to put together the name if I spell it wrong, but his sifu is a Shaolin sifu/monk in New York called Shing Meng or something and has been in a number of the local mags.

I asked about self defense and he said that was way at the bottom of the list. His system is all about spiritual cultivation, healing, holistic growth, that sort of thing. Though he happened to add as he heard me groan, that they do practice the hand forms and you get the self defense from them, but he was again quick to talk about healing, spiritual guidance, love for your fellow man and seals, the best technique to hug a fern, that sort of thing.

Then I asked him about AstroPlanatery Karate and he said a lady from russia teaches it and it is all about mind combat and I quote he used the word Jedi Mind Tricks to describe the system.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Again the guy seemed nice but he seemed to get a little taken back when I brought up sparring, partner resistance training, or when I brought up the blade and stick work we do in Kali.

Oh well.....if somebody comes to me and says you know of a good local Aurora martial art school where a person can improve moral character and learn about asian philosophy I will just send them to a great Isshin-Ryu Karate club in that area where not only can you get that if you wish but they also throw punches, kicks, open hand blows, elbows, chops, locks, and throws into the mix for a good old fashioned time of old-school self defense training.

I also think the cma guy teaches full-time now. :eek:

norther practitioner
05-01-2003, 11:48 AM
Shing Meng

There is a monk by Shi Yan Ming in NY.....???????:confused:

carly
05-01-2003, 11:49 AM
"teaches the best technique to hug a fern" - LOL!
Wel, you seem like you were very kind to him despite your differences in interests or emphasis. That's a pretty fair, and very well-written assessment of the place.

Black Jack
05-01-2003, 11:50 AM
That sounds like what he said. Has to be.

MasterKiller
05-01-2003, 11:52 AM
Shi Yan Ming drinks special water that tastes like Champagne, and eats special tofu that tastes like cow.

Black Jack
05-01-2003, 11:56 AM
I am not going to be mean to the guy. Not everyone has a main interest in the self defense aspects of a system. That's more than fine as long as a person is upfront about that mindframe to any potential students. At least to me on that phone call he was upfront about what he does.

Being upfront puts you down as someone with a bit of character. It counts for something.

Royal Dragon
05-01-2003, 12:06 PM
You know, when I taught Karate for Champion Youth Outreach programs, one of my co workers was a Hung Gar guy. I think he has a school in Aurora. Let me find out if he's still teaching. He's a good guy, and much more realistic than the astrailmonk'arate guy were talking about.

carly
05-01-2003, 12:16 PM
I agree with you and I admire your attitude toward the guy.

norther practitioner
05-01-2003, 12:25 PM
Shi Yan Ming drinks special water that tastes like Champagne, and eats special tofu that tastes like cow.

And you are under an illusion

MasterKiller
05-01-2003, 12:28 PM
Those are his descriptions for drinking Champagne and eating meat, not mine.

Don't kill the messenger.

Brad
05-01-2003, 12:43 PM
Yeah, Shi Yan Ming's probably the most "controversial" of the US Shaolin Monks from what I've read... eats meat, drinks booze, gets women pregnent who are not his wife... Also I think he's said before that he doesn't believe in teaching applications to the forms... uses them in kind of the same way you use pushups I guess. Surprised hearing about no sparring though, as isn't Shi Yan Ming big on San Shou for self defence?

Serpent
05-01-2003, 04:59 PM
The guy defected from China to live in the Land Of Excess. Why do you think that was? Of course he's eating meat, drinking booze and getting laid.

Isn't that what y'all stand for?

joedoe
05-01-2003, 05:02 PM
I thought some Emperor way back when had granted the Shaolin monks the right to eat flesh and drink alcohol anyway?

NorthernMantis
05-01-2003, 06:09 PM
Well before I begin I'd like to say that the only thing that the only real bad thing is when he left his wife (that's jsut plain wrong,forced marriage or not). This isn't to justify him leaving his old family but you people forget he was forced to marry when communism took over shaolin.

Ok so the guy opted to have a better life but if you read his life story he was forced to live in shaolin (his parents left him at shaolin to die because he was sick and they were poor) and by no means shaolin is no a pretty place to live (not like wudang). It stinks from nearby farm animals (or so I was told), all the real monks live a hard life since they are sworn to poverty.The ones who know kung fu have to work out 24/7 lifting weights and doing extreme forms of excercise (probably to froget the hunger). Not much clothing. Can't go near women (not a problem if you wnated to become a monk by your own wish). Live in an old temple. Forced to get married or die due to communism.

If you had to endure all that what would you do? Of course if he did want to stay here the best thing he could do is claim to be an ex- monk instead of being a real one.

I'm not trying to justify the guys actions but I want you all to be aware of what he has gone through.

Oh and yes he said he doesn't teach apllication because it doesn't work.

To each his own.

Serpent
05-01-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by NorthernMantis
Well before I begin I'd like to say that the only thing that the only real bad thing is when he left his wife (that's jsut plain wrong,forced marriage or not).

Why? If they were unhappy. Isn't Amreica the land of the free?

Ok so the guy opted to have a better life but if you read his life story he was forced to live in shaolin (his parents left him at shaolin to die because he was sick and they were poor) and by no means shaolin is no a pretty place to live (not like wudang). It stinks from nearby farm animals (or so I was told), all the real monks live a hard life since they are sworn to poverty.The ones who know kung fu have to work out 24/7 lifting weights and doing extreme forms of excercise (probably to froget the hunger).

So, they never sleep? How is the smell of farms a hardship that would cause you to leave your country?

:confused:

Oh and yes he said he doesn't teach apllication because it doesn't work.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

NorthernMantis
05-01-2003, 06:53 PM
hehe just pullin yer chain

"Why? If they were unhappy. Isn't Amreica the land of the free?"
T
hat's very true and proably shouldn't even consider that since it's none of my business but I felt bad for the woman as I heard that she made a big scene when he told her he was leaving. I feel bad for both his kids....for some reason I have some weird feeling that it will turn out like some shaw brothers movie or something. Shaolin dad has another son and leaves. The first son hates shaolin and seeks a style to take revenge on his half brother since he feels that was the reason he left. Cool fight scene at the kwoon and the works. Then again I was told I am weird.:D

"So, they never sleep? How is the smell of farms a hardship that would cause you to leave your country?"

Not the farms itself but what about living alife of pverty? Lot of hard work and sweat trying to grow your own food. Living a dull life. Trust me I've lived in that poor of conditions before and it's nor fun.

" :eek: :eek: :eek: "

Exactly;)

Serpent
05-01-2003, 07:03 PM
Not picking on you, mate. Just seems that way today for some reason!

I'm enjoying our discussions!

;)

Mr Punch
05-01-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by NorthernMantis

"So, they never sleep? How is the smell of farms a hardship that would cause you to leave your country?"

Not the farms itself but what about living alife of pverty? Lot of hard work and sweat trying to grow your own food. Living a dull life. Trust me I've lived in that poor of conditions before and it's nor fun.

I have too and I loved it. Buuut, the smell of some people's sweat would be enough to make me leave the country...

I still wanna know the best way to hug a fern... do you thik we could persuade BJ to go along to the school and learn that wee tidbit for the benefit of KFO?

shaolin kungfu
05-01-2003, 11:04 PM
To best hug(and make love to) a fern, you must learn the gay art BJJ.

Brad
05-02-2003, 07:10 AM
And drink lots of "special water" to make the fern more attractive :D

David
05-02-2003, 07:43 AM
Jeez, you can't just use a fern; you gotta relate to it! Well, actually you have to work out what gender it is, first...

richard sloan
05-02-2003, 09:18 AM
...is that lots of people come to train at the Temple from all over, many come for a few classes, some are more regular, some are formally known as instructors and have blessing to teach, many are already teachers and belt holders of other systems, etc. and I am sure this goes for lots of different masters, so after saying all that there *may* be no formal (and I am pretty sure this is the case) relationship between this person and Shi Yan Ming, as far as master/disciple goes.

What was the person's name and I can find out.

P.S. Sometimes NYC doesn't smell so great either. Just walk down 8th Ave at 5AM and you'll see what I mean, heh heh heh...

norther practitioner
05-02-2003, 09:28 AM
Richard Sloan...
contact info

Luna Martial Arts Academy at 630-897-5275 located at 11w. Downer Pl. Aurora, Il 60506

ask the guys name.

richard sloan
05-02-2003, 11:41 AM
so I will try again later...on the tape it sounded like his name was David Lerner?