PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Kung Fu should I do?

haukas
05-02-2003, 06:57 AM
Hi All,
Your advice would be appreciated.
I'm about to start Kung Fu and would like to have a better insight into what type would be best for me.

I have done Tai Chi in the past and really liked the personal / spiritual nature of it, but found it to be not quite...active enough. I then went on to Kenpo karate and enjoyed the "active" nature of this but was disappointed with its lack of the person / spiritual side.

I feel Kung Fu might be able to give me both. Am I right?
I like the idea of the practical application of a martial art to real life scenarios, like on-street self defence. Am I right therefore to be looking at Wing Chun, or Hung Gar?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Kasper.

Brad
05-02-2003, 07:02 AM
How much "spiritualness" or how much self defence is emphasised really has nothing to do with the style and everything to do with the individual school/teacher. So it's pretty much trial and error. Sorry I wasn't of much help :P

Brad
05-02-2003, 07:03 AM
BTW, Tai Chi is Kung Fu

MasterKiller
05-02-2003, 07:06 AM
I agree with Brad. It's up to the teacher to emphasize the spiritual side of the art, not necessarily the art itself.

My Kung Fu teacher has no interest in the spiritual aspects of the style, and doesn't teach it.

dezhen2001
05-02-2003, 07:08 AM
its not so much the skill as the teacher. try some classes or watch, see who has good knoweledge and a good attitude - also a good ability to teach people. If u like that atmosphere then its good :)

remember its somewhere that you will be aspending 2 plus however many hours a week you train in there working hard.. so u want somewhere that agrees with you.

wing chun is the style i do and enjoy it a lot - hung gar is also good... whats available in your area?

just my thoughts and experiences :)

dawood

sticky fingers
05-02-2003, 09:39 AM
If spirituality is what you are after, I think you might be disappointed with wing chun. But for no-nonsense self defense it's great.

draggin dragon
05-02-2003, 11:32 AM
The degree of "spirituallity" infused into your art does depend, to some degree, on the style you study & your instructor. The largest portion, however, comes from yourself. Nothing prevents you from investigating the spiritual side of any style you choose, regarless if your instructor chooses to impart it, or not.
In general, you will find the self-defense skills you seek in the techniques & empty-handed forms of the style you choose. The spiritual side will be found within your intent & dedication to the art.
"If the spirit does not stir within your heart when you hold a straight sword in your hand--place it at your feet & turn away"--Draggin' Dragon 2003