PDA

View Full Version : Foundation of White Dragon Fist Style Kung Fu

Becca
05-02-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Mat in "wrist locks"
Wouldn't call it a sucker punch... you have to recognise that you're gonna get hit on the way in sometimes. And I'd say that adrenaline goes as long a way as 'conditioning'...

What forms of conditioning do you use Becca, for your neck/kidney/groin?

And from the previous post, you have self-defence forms as distinct from your... what forms exactly? And what's the difference? Not ragging ya, just wondering...

Feel free to answer on a new thread, as I'm about to revive this one maybe...!

You call it potatos, I call it pototos...

Stretches for flexability, isometric strengthening to condition muscles, smacking, and taking hits progressively harder to build pain tolerence. As I understand it, most Shaolin "skills" (finger skill, iron skull, iron palm, temple skill, ect) are designed around that concept. My Sifu is not as sadistic as some, so we do excersizes along those theams but not the actual skills themselves.

As for what forms, all froms in White Dragon Fist wich are directly refered to as forms are designed to teach strength, endurence and discipine. Each one has a self defence version wich builds on them and teaches how to use those moves in a fight or spar. For example: the intermediate class at my kwoon is working on Chines Soft Fist Form sections 1-9 ( all of it). But to be moved into the class you must be able to perform sections 1-3 in both CSF Form and Selfdefence, as well as Attack.

The more advanced classes build on those principals and work on deconstructing them into something more usable. It takes about 12 years to get to this point in White Dragon Fist. While they do sometimes offer sparring classes, sparring is not generally tuaght untill atleast 3d lower level ( there are 10 lower and 10 higher, or black belt, levels) The belief is that you don't have the foundation to build good fighting skills on untill that point.

What principles does your style build on?