PDA

View Full Version : Newbi w/?

adelo4065
05-02-2003, 09:37 AM
Hell to All,
Yesterday, I went for my free class in Yang style Tai Chi.
I didn't know what to expect coming from a Karate background so, I went in w/a open mind, since I want to study Tai Chi.
For one hour I practice the following.
1. Hug a Tree which involves Wuji, Taiji, Ma Bu
2. Eagle takes Flight
3. Grasping Bird's Tail
4. Shoulder Twist which I make circles bent over w/Hip width + 1/2 legs spread apart.

My instructor says that when I come back we will add on more of the exercises. Being that I'm very new to this I really don't know what I should be doing or asking. In Karate I can remember my 1st class consisting of exercises and learning my 1st kicks and punches. So as you can see I need all the insight and help possible.

Thanks Alicia

Water Dragon
05-02-2003, 11:25 AM
Practice the exercises a few thousand times each. THEN ask your teacher any questions you still have.

adelo4065
05-02-2003, 11:33 AM
Thanks

Water Dragon
05-02-2003, 11:35 AM
Just re-read my post. You do understand I'm not talking about a few thousand at once right? If you do 100 reps of an exercise, you'll have 3000 reps in after one month.

adelo4065
05-02-2003, 11:40 AM
Yes, I know what u were saying, my old Teacher used to say the same thing. I was just wondering if this is how one starts off thats all since I'm new to Tai Chi.

Thanks
Alicia

draggin dragon
05-02-2003, 11:43 AM
Alicia,

Welcome to our world.:)

I too came to tai-chi from a background similar to yours--first karate, then taekwondo, now tai-chi, choy-li-fut & hung-gar.

The best advice that I can give you is this. The movements of tai-chi & kungfu are not as defined and their applications as obvious as the "hard" styles that we have studied. That does not mean that it is less useful, or harder to learn--just different. Stick with it and the answers will all come in time.

Good luck to you.:)

count
05-02-2003, 11:49 AM
Everyone has different methods. Basics are far more important than form. I like teachers who emphasis stances and walking, drilling the postures and even learning applications rather than just practicing forms without intent. It may seem like a leap from Karate to Tai Chi Chuan but classes shouldn't be so different.

adelo4065
05-02-2003, 12:15 PM
Thanks draggin dragon and count. I intend to join this class, it's just it's all new and exciting at the same time.

Alicia:D