PDA

View Full Version : You D@mn Canadians and your Civil Liberties!

Kuen
05-02-2003, 10:12 AM
heh, are you taking refugees from the USA, yet? If so where do I apply!

U.S. says Canada cares too much about liberties (http://www.canada.com/national/story.asp?id=78A2260B-4770-4682-BE60-E6FE1D3B8144)

MasterKiller
05-02-2003, 10:14 AM
Not pronoucing "O"s is a Nazi trait.

Kuen
05-02-2003, 10:16 AM
From NY Times
--snip--
The Bush administration believes that giving the C.I.A. and the military direct authority to demand the records would cut down on the lag time in the process and give those organizations more flexibility to combat terrorism, according to the senior Congressional official.

Administration officials played down the significance of the proposal, maintaining that it would not give the C.I.A. or the military access to any information that they cannot already get through the F.B.I.

But Democrats and civil liberties advocates said they were alarmed by the idea that the C.I.A. and the military could begin prying into Americans' personal and financial records.

They said that while the F.B.I. was subject to guidelines controlling what agents are allowed to do in the course of an investigation, the C.I.A. and the military appeared to have much freer reign. The F.B.I. also faces additional scrutiny if it tries to use such records in court, but officials said the proposal could give the C.I.A. and the military the power to gather such material without ever being subject to judicial oversight.

Timothy Edgar, legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union, called the proposal "dangerous and un-American."

Mr. Edgar said that "even in the most frigid periods of the Cold War, we never gave the C.I.A. such sweeping and secret policing powers over American citizens."

Link to Story (http://www.nytimes.com/auth/login?URI=http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/02/international/worldspecial/02TERR.html)

At least it's a sure fire way to appease the terrorists, who "hate our freedoms". :rolleyes:

patriot
05-02-2003, 10:18 AM
Don't worry. George Dubya is going to "liberate" Canada and the rest of the world sooner or later.

MasterKiller
05-02-2003, 10:19 AM
So when does Congress vote on the creation of the Clone Army again?

And when does Rumsfield get to put on the Vader mask?

ewallace
05-02-2003, 10:37 AM
:rolleyes:
Cry on brother.

KC Elbows
05-02-2003, 11:01 AM
Rumsfeld can't possibly wear the vader mask. That would mean that dubya would have to tell congress about his midichlorian count. Dubya+5 syllable word=Mel Tillis.

More importantly though, are **** Cheney and the emporer one and the same? And if so, how does Cheney lose the wrinkles when he becomes emporer?

MasterKiller
05-02-2003, 11:05 AM
Actually, Cheney is one hamburger away from a mechanical heart anyway...maybe he's vader. Rumsfield is more like Gran Moff Tarkin.

ewallace
05-02-2003, 11:05 AM
No way KC, Cheney would have a heart attack everytime the lightening came out of his fingertips.

Christopher M
05-02-2003, 11:08 AM
Oh, maybe ya'all can't access yahoo groups without accounts... here's a C&P:

PM says pot soon to be decriminalized
Last Updated Tue, 29 Apr 2003 23:02:26
OTTAWA - Jean Chrétien drew applause and a few whoops of joy at a fundraising dinner Tuesday night when he announced that legislation decriminalizing possession of marijuana in Canada would soon be announced.

"Don't start to smoke yet," he quickly cautioned the celebrants in the audience.

"We're not legalizing it, we're decriminalizing," said Chrétien who points out he has never smoked a joint.

Chretien speaks to fundraising crowd about marijuana legislation

The distinction between legalizing marijuana and decriminalizing it, is important.

The Criminal Code amendments, expected to be introduced in the Commons within the next two months, will make possession of small amounts of pot a minor offence that would be treated something like a traffic violation.

"So you will have another ticket," said Chrétien, "for losing your senses, or something like that."

The prime minister promised the softer line on simple possession will be accompanied by a wider anti-drug strategy that will continue to be tough on traffickers.

Justice Minister Martin Cauchon has repeatedly promised decriminalization. But he has put off action for months, leading some to wonder whether the government was serious.

KC Elbows
05-02-2003, 11:09 AM
Yeah, but he's used to them by now. He's built up a tolerance over time. Now it takes like 7 of them before he begins to feel it like when he was a kid.

KC Elbows
05-02-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Christopher M
Weep at this, suckers:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sigma-6/message/1087

:confused:

Kuen
05-02-2003, 11:26 AM
weep at this

No thanks, I don't weep at anything. Besides your link doesn't work.

However, let me guess it's a flag or some such low brow picture with the words "Eat this 'libruls'" or someother brainy right wing gesture.

BTW, I see the Dixie Chicks have moved back up the charts into the #2 position. Guess country fans aren't really that in love with the Chimp after all.

Billboard Country Charts (http://www.billboard.com/bb/charts/country.jsp)

Now, go ahead and call me "French" or whatever the hatemongers at Fox have popularized today.

MasterKiller
05-02-2003, 11:29 AM
His link is about Canada legalizing pot.

So what. Dubya does coke. Pot is for puzzies.

Christopher M
05-02-2003, 11:37 AM
lol @ kuen

You need more fiber in your diet dude.

Or less.

GreyMystik
05-02-2003, 11:44 AM
"land of the (almost as) free (as Canada)"?

KC Elbows
05-02-2003, 11:47 AM
Back to the topic at hand.

I get annoyed when the news has reports like "Terrorists can kill people at local mall: detailed diagram of the plan they should follow at our website". I find it equally anoying that our tax dollars go to publishing the same on our allies.

ewallace
05-02-2003, 11:54 AM
Hey, the public has the right to know. It's in the declaration of being almost as independent as canada.

KC Elbows
05-02-2003, 11:58 AM
Hey, don't take your almost independence for granted. Men died to give you your near freedom.

The public doesn't actually know anything from that. It's just summing up a report by saying that Canada doesn't use the same procedures as us. That doesn't mean that Canada isn't safer.

Now, it's been a while since I travelled around Canada, but I'm pretty sure we still don't have much leg to stand on lecturing them about maintaining the safety of their citizens.

Christopher M
05-02-2003, 12:00 PM
There's the giant Beaver problem up here.

And curling-puck tree accidents have been at an all time high.

ewallace
05-02-2003, 12:00 PM
Yes and no. If their lack of control over their own borders is a problem, it affects us. I would think however, that we need to clear up our own border problems first.

shaolin kungfu
05-02-2003, 12:04 PM
**** canada and it's clean streets!:mad:

KC Elbows
05-02-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by ewallace
Yes and no. If their lack of control over their own borders is a problem, it affects us. I would think however, that we need to clear up our own border problems first.

Yeah, it's been years since I was up there, but the guys who checked my stuff all called ham bacon. Must have been the Minnesota reserves, I guess.

GreyMystik
05-02-2003, 12:31 PM
take off to the great white north eh? :D
you hoser!

**** i miss that movie, i should go get it again...

MasterKiller
05-02-2003, 12:33 PM
Canadian Bacon was the worst movie of all time.

KC Elbows
05-02-2003, 12:37 PM
You've clearly never seen the movie Headless Eyes.

ewallace
05-02-2003, 12:38 PM
"I've gotta take a leak so bad I can taste it!"

Had to have rewound that part about 50 times.

MasterKiller
05-02-2003, 12:40 PM
Few people pick up on the intellectual subtleties of Stange Brew

The movie is really a parody of Hamlet.

Kuen
05-02-2003, 12:50 PM
not to mention they ruined the "mouse in the beer bootle scam" for all of us by revealing it to the general public.

fa_jing
05-02-2003, 01:34 PM
hmm. maybe a vacation to Canada is in order!

Black Jack
05-02-2003, 01:45 PM
A KFO vacation to Canada!

I gotta get my roll of ones. Are $10 laps dances by full nude strippers considered some form of iron body training?

David Jamieson
05-02-2003, 08:40 PM
All is well in the Confederation. Our dollar is getting stronger and as far as civil liberties go, well, at least we get that part about a democracy :D

Did you know that the W stands for Wolfowitz? hahahahaha.(inside joke)

Seriously, you Murcans need another election to happen and you need it fast or you will all have tracking chips installed at birth!

It's quite "Orwellian" down there ain't it cousins?

Weird times, weird times.

cheers

guohuen
05-03-2003, 09:01 AM
Disclaimer: I stole this.
"I don't hate the dixie chicks because of their politics. I hate them because their music blows!"

Budokan
05-03-2003, 09:01 AM
"However, let me guess it's a flag or some such low brow picture with the words "Eat this 'libruls'" or someother brainy right wing gesture." --Kuen

"BTW, I see the Dixie Chicks have moved back up the charts into the #2 position. Guess country fans aren't really that in love with the Chimp after all." --Kuen

LOL!

:D

Budokan
05-03-2003, 09:02 AM
LOL @ guohuen too....!

Lisa
05-06-2003, 06:55 AM
"heh, are you taking refugees from the USA, yet? If so where do I apply!"

There actually is an American medical pot user named Steve Kubby who is trying to get refugee status in Canada.

http://www.lp.org/lpnews/0306/briefs_kubby_hearing.html

MasterKiller
05-06-2003, 07:25 AM
Sheila: Time's have changed
Our kids are kids are getting worse
They wont obey their parents
They just want to **** and curse!
Sharon: Should we blame the government?
Liane: Or blame society?
Dads: Or should we blame the images on TV?
Sheila: No, blame Canada
Everyone: Blame Canada
Sheila: With all their beady little eyes
And flappin heads so full of lies
Blame Canada
Sheila: We need to form a full assault
Everyone: It's Canadas fault!
Sharon: Don't blame me
For my son Stan
He saw the darn cartoon
And now he's off to join the Klan!
Liane: And my boy Eric once
Had my picture on his shelf
But now when I see him he tells me to **** myself!
Sheila: Well, blame Canada
It seems that everythings gone wrong
Since Canada came along
Blame Canada
Some Guy: There not even a real country anyway
Ms. McCormick: My son could've been a doctor or a lawyer it's true
Instead he burned up like a piggy on a barbecue
Everyone: Should we blame the matches?
Should we blame the fire?
Or the doctors who allowed him to expire?
Sheila: Heck no!
Blame Canada
Sheila: With all their hockey hubbabaloo
Liane: And that ***** Anne Murray too
Shame on Canada
The smut we must stop
The trash we must smash
Laughter and fun
must all be undone
We must blame them and cause a fuss
Before someone thinks of blaming uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuus

Chang Style Novice
05-06-2003, 10:41 AM
Kung Lek -

Speaking of Orwell, here's (http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,12084,948203,00.html) a pretty good essay by Thomas Pynchon on 1984. It's an excerpt from his foreward to the new edition coming out soon.