PDA

View Full Version : Fighting by numbers

ryuujin
05-02-2003, 02:04 PM
The concept of putting down all your forms and using physics to dictate your moves. Who else here thinks that a martial arts should be treated that way?

norther practitioner
05-02-2003, 02:08 PM
Um, how bout if your forms actually help you with your physics.

ryuujin
05-02-2003, 02:11 PM
It has trying to figure out the apex of centrifugal force of a palm strike using physics it has improved my math skills lol

norther practitioner
05-02-2003, 02:16 PM
Centrifugal force is fictional, only there in theory.......

figuring out how much centripital force... then applying that to a release, should just come from good technique.

ryuujin
05-02-2003, 02:27 PM
ummm centrafugal force isnt a theory its the underlining concept behind the machine centrafuge which spins to seperate using gravitation force. thats what im studying its not just the techique at which angle and spin i should release its more to than just doing a technique right im doing the math behind the technique

Budokan
05-03-2003, 09:24 AM
Sorry. Centrifugal force doesn't exist. Period. It doesn't even exist in a centrifuge. I know. Hardly seems fair, does it? But that's the way physics goes...

Anyway, to answer the question: NO. Anytime you start limiting your martial arts to a series and static sequence of moves you limit the fluid mobility that should be inherent within your martial art-- a fluid mobility that is there to adapt to any situation you might find yourself in. Assuming you're taking something other than tae bo, that is.

tsunami surfer
05-03-2003, 09:55 PM
Actually it has been done. A fighter pilot by the name of Boyd used physics and mathematics to redefine air combat. He is practicaly the father of modern jet fighter aircraft. He also developed the OODA loop(observe/orient/decide/act) and how to apply it to combat situations. His theories are now used today by the USMC. He was such a radical in the USAF they spent more time trying to get rid of him than listening to him.

ryuujin
05-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Im taking all the techniques i know and refining them for maximum mathematical force. AND centrafugal force is the study of force in circle it does exist just pick up any dictionary of physics book and you will see.

dezhen2001
05-04-2003, 09:59 AM
i think most skills like xing yi, bagua and taijiquan cant really be "refined" much more, and they use physics pretty well :D

dawood

David Jamieson
05-04-2003, 10:05 AM
i agree with dez-

why reinvent the wheel?

Martial arts are designed with physics, body mechanics, kinesiology, etc already built in, and built in through continued improvements through hundreds of years.

wrapping mathematical terminology around it will make it no more or less refined than what is there for the most part already.

cheers

dezhen2001
05-04-2003, 10:34 AM
when ive been hit in sparring i can tell how well people can use physics :D

dawood

Budokan
05-04-2003, 01:21 PM
No, genius, centrifugal force is NOT the study of force in a circle and it DOES NOT exist. I agree. Pick up a physics book but this time actually read the f*cking thing.

Centripetal force exists, but centrifugal force does not. I realize this shakes up your world view somewhat, but the universe does not exist to make us happy.

David Jamieson
05-04-2003, 02:08 PM
An outward-directed "fictitious force" exerted on a body when it moves azimuthally in a noninertial rotating reference frame. For example, a rider standing on a carousel feels himself "pulled" outward as the carousel spins around. Centrifugal force is a fictitious force because it is a by-product of measuring coordinates with respect to a rotating coordinate system as opposed to an actual "push or pull."

Ergo, I agree with Budokan in re: centrifugal force.

Budokan, you need to chill man. hahahaha, pretty feisty over a pinch of math there eh?

cheers

Liokault
05-04-2003, 02:15 PM
:rolleyes: Hes right.

Centrifugal force is the force which pushes an object away from the center point that it is rotating around.

But centrifugal force does not exist because no force is pushing the object AWAY. There is force making the orbiting object try to continue on its straight line course but a second force conecting the object to the point it is orbiting.

If the conecting force is taken away the object does not fly directly away from the center point as it would is cenrtifugal force existed but it will continuse on its straight vector at the point where the force was taken away=centripetal force.

Hope this makes things clear!!

Your idea is crap by the way as in martial arts there are to many variables. and how do you mathmaticaly account for you oponent and his reaction to what you are going to try to do to him?

Shuul Vis
05-05-2003, 11:27 AM
grab a physics book and hit someone with it.

MasterKiller
05-05-2003, 12:09 PM
how do you mathmaticaly account for you oponent and his reaction to what you are going to try to do to him?
chaos theory

norther practitioner
05-05-2003, 12:22 PM
Must be them Missouri schools...

The mechanics of the strike.....
could be a very interesting topic, but I'll wait for more people who actually listened in the last few days of physics one when the professor tells you that everything you have learned isn't quite how it works...lol :D

Or anyone who has studied moving loads....

chaos theory

If a butterfly flaps its wings in San Fransisco on Monday, Kung Lek will have a chi blockage in his left kidney next Tuesday.

That chaos theory?

apoweyn
05-05-2003, 02:31 PM
why reinvent the wheel?

Yeah, but people reinvent the wheel all the time. There have been great advances in wheel technology over the years.

I'm not being entirely sarcastic here either. There's nothing wrong with a critical reevaluation of things already 'proven.' If it cannot be improved, it will withstand reevaluation. And if it can be improved... hooray!

As for Ryuujin's idea in particular, I'm going to try and give him the benefit of the doubt. But his plan doesn't make much sense to me so far.

Stuart B.