PDA

View Full Version : got root?

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-02-2003, 11:01 PM
where do people's root go when they start moving? i watch all these vids, and have seen all these guys spar, and once they're up against some resistance all their root goes out the window. that seems like the worst time to stop rooting to me.

example (other vids on this site weren't nearly as bad) (http://www.rochesterkungfu.com/multimedia/running.html)

this seems to be very common amongst kf types. you don't see a boxer do this .... which is really funny considering that kf focuses a lot more on rooting than boxing does.

i could understand wushu types hopping around like ferrys, but i have seen the same thing from internal stylists too.

what gives?

Shuul Vis
05-02-2003, 11:15 PM
They are practicing the elusive pansy style. i think thats a 2 man form called "Pansy prances around like a little bit ch"

neit
05-03-2003, 07:58 AM
it may just be my inexperience, but i found that video puzzling. those guys kept rotating and hopping in a fashion that reminded me of 3d kickboxing type video games. know what i mean?

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-03-2003, 10:11 AM
yeah ... or like they had one of those skip it things from the 80s around their ankles. it was sort of like jump rope.

skiiip iiiit skiiiiiiip iiiiiiiit ........

nevermind.

dezhen2001
05-03-2003, 10:14 AM
couldnt see the video - but that image you just explained made me LMAO gda... imagine sparring and both having those around your leg :D

dawood

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-03-2003, 10:37 AM
the videos were taken down for some reason but i got it out of my temp files.

this should work (http://users.1st.net/abaddon/hoppingpansies.mov)

.... right click and save as .... its an mov.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-03-2003, 10:56 AM
.... glad to see that someone else remembers the da mn skip it thing too .... that comercial is forever burned into my mind.

Xebsball
05-03-2003, 11:09 AM
why the hell was he jumping like that

dezhen2001
05-03-2003, 11:22 AM
dont remember the commercial... but i remember seeing it as a kid. hey it better not have a virus coz im d/l from your link now.:D

dawood

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-03-2003, 12:36 PM
what's a virus? and should i be concerned that random files are being dele

dezhen2001
05-03-2003, 04:43 PM
:confused: thought you worked in IT?

dawood

Xebsball
05-03-2003, 06:47 PM
if you wanna a trick to see if your cds have virus just pick them with your hand and place them against the light
now there if you see some little yellow or red marks, its a virus! dont put it back on your puter

(this was a joke i seen some puter dude playing on a ignorant sucka once, funny shyte at the time)

SevenStar
05-03-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
what's a virus? and should i be concerned that random files are being dele

LOL!

as for the skip it, I remember it. Matter of factly, they still sell them, or at least they did last year - they had even started showing the commercials again. Since it's getting hotter outside, they may start again, when they bring in all the summer toys.

You know the other commercial that's forever burned in my mind?

My buddy, my buddy, where ever I go, he gooooes,
My buddy, my buddy.... My buddy and me! *gag*

Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so - that yesterland website said that it was one of the catchiest commercials in history.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-04-2003, 01:20 AM
ohhh .. .. i remember my buddy ... god do i remember that comercial.

Chang Style Novice
05-04-2003, 09:17 AM
My Buddy looked like a sex toy for pedophiles. That thing was just demented.

Former castleva
05-04-2003, 11:02 AM
"My buddy" was a sweet song by Barry White.

"My buddyyyy...My buddyyyy...*sounds like writhing in pain* And the touch...of your haa´aand...(etc.) (Towards the end) Hhyyyeeaaaarghhh!!! Hiii´´aayyeeaaarghh...SO So´oorryyy!!! OH,oh..."

Very good. :D

Also if you have are educated and have been watching "Matlock" to a considerable degree,you can see him play/sing it for a small while.

ShifuBinks
05-04-2003, 12:35 PM
Does anyone know if that was prearranged or not?

The bad: I know jumping is dangerous, but it can make for an exciting fight in competition. But it's not like these guys were trying flying knees or triangle chokes, they were just jumping. I don't know why.

The good: Assuming it wasn't prearranged, I thought the action/reaction, speed, and hand techniques were very impressive. If I fight at that speed, I usually get hit many times and there are not many recognizable techniques. I saw some clear kung fu in this clip. I didn't understand the jumping either, but I thought the other techniques were great. Didn't see any kicks though, and that's what I would try to do if the guy was jumping that high.
-Jonathan

LEGEND
05-04-2003, 02:01 PM
LOL...this was obviously some one step sparring of some sort...it was done the same 3x. Christ...

Volcano Admim
05-04-2003, 02:14 PM
Well, young one Baka Densetsu (Idiot legend), you obviously legedar not fight my years of train time academic pratice, jump spin is created for both foot and one hand turn spin to escape your maner moving in circles over enemy knee/foot puts you in favourite (best) positions. If you need anymore tip on fighting jus asks me.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-04-2003, 03:39 PM
back to the issue though .... why do kf players forget about root?

sinking is the first thing i naturally do when startled by an unexpected attack (read friends fu cking with me unexpectedly) or the few occasions i've felt a fight might happen since i started training.

scotty1
05-04-2003, 03:59 PM
lol@Volcano admim

"why do kf players forget about root?"

Lack of having to root in pressure situations? (read - not much hard sparring)

dezhen2001
05-04-2003, 04:34 PM
finally saw the clip... so so far for KF sparring weve had this and the one on the other thread... both 2 man sets? :confused: Gee KF looks so cool in sparring :D

whenever ive sparred, ive remained rooted, and its natural to me if something unexpected happens... i guess its just how we do our wing chun. doesnt mean im any good though but at least i got that part ;)

dawood

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-04-2003, 06:07 PM
"doesnt mean im any good though but at least i got that part "

right ... that's what i meant too.

joedoe
05-04-2003, 06:13 PM
That was a very nice dance.

dezhen2001
05-04-2003, 06:42 PM
right ... that's what i meant too. thats what i thought :D

dawood

Tainan Mantis
05-06-2003, 06:29 AM
This is a drill where you are running towards the opponent's back door.
Since both uf us are doing the same technique neither of us approaches the others back door, hence the drill looks peculiar.

The danger point is just as you jump the opponent kicks you in the groin.
We also train for that as well as other situations.
Some of those are on the other clips I posted.

Gunneddown,
Why didn't you just post the page with all the clips?

After the jump comes a 3 punch drill.
It can be any drill and the partner has to cope with that situation.

This is not sparring or fighting.
I posted these clips to show one method of training.
I hope in the future others on this forum will feel free to show how they train with their partners.

Though, after reading some of the comments here I can understand why few would want to.

You can get a better idea if you look at some of the other drills I posted.