PDA

View Full Version : Once a week?

scotty1
05-04-2003, 03:26 PM
I'm sure I remember someone on this forum (someone credible) saying that lifting once a week could be effective if you did it right.

Was I dreaming?

Is once a week OK, or should you try to get it / do it more often?

Samurai Jack
05-04-2003, 03:46 PM
Hey, scotty1

I have been training once a week using Static Contraction Training (SCT). Tomorrow will mark my second month or so of training with this system so I'll post my results. They are really nothing short of phenomenal.

The system along with Power Factor Training (PFT) was developed by Pete Sisco in order to find out how to apply maximum muscular intensity. Check out his web site:

www.precisiontrainer.com

Also the late Mike Mentzer (Mr. Olympia), one of the first body builders to undertake scientific research to his body building protocols suggested taking one week off between workouts.

It's important to understand that these programs involve extremly high weights, usually between 150 to 200% of your one rep maxes. SCT focuses on static holds, and PFT uses strong range partials in order to achieve these kinds of weights. You probably wouldn't need such a long recovery period with less intense forms of weight training.

IronFist
05-05-2003, 11:28 AM
Is that the one where you hold the weight at the end of the movement and don't take it through the range of motion?

:mad: :( :mad:

IronFist

Samurai Jack
05-05-2003, 01:41 PM
Scoff at this:

When I started on 3/2/03:

ht: 5'11"
wt: 212 lbs.
BF%: 14%

Full Range Movements=

Bench Press 1 rep max: 260 lbs.
Dead Lift max: 315 lbs.
Squat: 380 lbs.

When I finished on 5/5/03:

ht: 5'11"
wt: 216 lbs.
BF%: 12%

Full Range Movements=

Bench Press: 310 lbs.
Dead Lift: 450 lbs.
Squat: 500 lbs.

Static holds:
3/2/03------------------------5/5/03
Seated press: 200 lbs------------------------400 lbs
Barbell Shrug: 320 lbs.-----------------------475 lbs.
Close Grip bench: 370 lbs.-------------------540 lbs.
biceps curl (1 arm): 90 lbs.-------------------130 lbs.
Leg Press: 900 lbs.----------------------------1400 lbs.
Toe Press: 900 lbs.---------------------------1260 lbs.
Pulley crunch: 100 lbs.------------------------240 lbs.

When's the last time anyone saw gains like these with NO SUPPLEMENTATION or diet alteration? Bear in mind I've been weight training for four years now, so I'm well past the "newbie growth spurt". Needless to say, I'm very,very happy with my results!

:D

ewallace
05-05-2003, 01:59 PM
Sounds like a sales pitch to me dude. For $16 a month I would expect a gym membership or at the very least some complimentary chips and salsa. :)

IronFist
05-05-2003, 05:39 PM
Samurai Jack, if it works for you, that's awesome. You made some good gains. I'm not sure that style of training would work for everyone, though.

IronFist

abobo
05-05-2003, 06:14 PM
Interesting, though I still think some of the super positive reviews for that book on Amazon must have been planted by the Sisco camp.

Samurai Jack
05-05-2003, 07:22 PM
Actually, I'm pretty upset with Sisco at this moment. I was using his "precision trainer" web program to log and chart my workouts and ran into a few gliches. I ended up paying my bank over $60.00 for thier screwing with my financial information/debit card number. I must strongly recommend against using that program. Sisco hasn't offered to pay me back either.

On the other hand, Static Contraction Training works. It didn't just work for me, it has worked for ever member of the initial research study (numbering in the hundreds) and according to Sisco has worked for thousands of Presicion Trainer members.

I would venture the guess that if a training program works, it must work for everyone. I think everyone should try it. I mean, eight weeks isn't going to set you back or anything gains wise. My results weren't out of the ordinary by the way, they were well within the average set by the folks involved in the original study.

I plan on using this training system for the next year, then entering an amateur powerlifting contest. I figure I'll have a pretty good squat by then as I'm already at 500lbs. Bear in mind that I didn't perform a conventional full range squat for two months, and went from 380 to 500!

Oh, and I'm not selling anything. I'll give away the workout to anyone who wants the info. It'll be cool if you posted your results here so we can all see them. ;)

nospam
05-05-2003, 08:57 PM
It depends what your goals are....when I can't make it in the gym often (at least 3x's/week) such as in the summer, I try to at least go 2x's so I can hit all the major muscle groups. On the odd occasion when I only go once and I know ahead of time that I will be able to only work out once, then I do a total body workout with lesser poundage.

The probelm going once a week, ironically enough, is time. It takes too much time for me to do a total body workout, that is why I always try to hit the gym twice. This way I can break up the body and not have to sacrifice weight or be restricted by time. I'm a lunch time lifter.

Once a week? Sure, if you spend the time. Of course this will only get you so far and it will be harder to bust through the plateaus we all hit. Although it would more than likely take you longer to hit the plateau in the first place :D

This week, I'll probably go twice.

nospam.
:cool:

IronFist
05-06-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Samurai Jack
Bear in mind that I didn't perform a conventional full range squat for two months, and went from 380 to 500!

You mean you didn't do a full range squat for two months, and your full range squat went from 380 to 500?

IronFist

FatherDog
05-06-2003, 07:37 AM
I would venture the guess that if a training program works, it must work for everyone.

This is absolutely and completely untrue.

fa_jing
05-06-2003, 09:49 AM
my question is - if you continue to make gains in your target areas, and you're sore in between workouts but fine by the time you work out again, can you assume that your program is a good one, no matter what kind of program it is?

Or do we endlessly tinker with it, looking for that slight edge in efficiency?

crumble
05-06-2003, 10:14 AM
Oh, and I'm not selling anything. I'll give away the workout to anyone who wants the info. It'll be cool if you posted your results here so we can all see them. ;)

SamJack, I'm going to take you up on that offer! But I'd also like your opinion on when someone should start a workout like that.

I've done a fair amount of weight training in the past, but for the past 2 years I've only done the movement exercises associated with learning Hsing I. I'm no where near as strong as I used to be (but a lot more coordinated :) )

Do you think I should put in a month/year on the weights before beginning?

-crumble

Robinf
05-06-2003, 10:45 AM
I don't know about the Sisco system in training, but I do have a problem coming up.

Beginning in two weeks, I'll be saddled with only having one day a week to go to the gym.

I've made some pretty good gains as far as lifting form goes, though I haven't added on weight in a while. In fact, after filming myself doing squats, I took off 30 lbs, and worked totally on form. I've since added back 10 lbs and am working up again.

I am, however, now up to 7 pullups in a row, with two more sets of 3 after.

I don't want to lose these gains over those five weeks.

Any thoughts? I would try the Sisco thing, but I only glanced at the sight and it seemed a bit too complicated.

cutter
05-06-2003, 10:21 PM
Mike Mentzer never won Mr. Olympia.

Ford Prefect
05-07-2003, 08:46 AM
Hi Jack,

I'd be interested to see the workout if too. I'd be curious if gains from this workout are because of the TUT. I don't think this would be a good workout for a beginner.

Scotty,

You can do a full-body workout once/week and make gains. That's nothing new.

scotty1
05-07-2003, 04:36 PM
"Scotty,

You can do a full-body workout once/week and make gains. That's nothing new."

Would it be stuff like benching and deadlifting? I love doing that stuff.

Samurai Jack
05-07-2003, 10:17 PM
Cutter, you're right. Mike Mentzer won the Mr. Universe title sometime in the mid-seventies. I don't keep up with bodybuilding titles and only mentioned him to show that the system, or at least one like it has been used by champion bodybuilders.

There have been many greats who used static holds or partial reps for thier training including Anthony Clark, the first teenager to bench press 612 lbs. and the first man to reverse grip bench 701lbs., Bill Kazmaier, powerlifter, Paul Anderson, Olympic Gold medalist, John Grimek bodybuilder, Lou Ferrigno, the Incredible Hulk(!), Paul Demayo, bodybuilder, Dorian Yates, mass monster, Flex Weilder...

Anyhow, I'll post the workout later this week as it will take some time for me to get it all together. Bear in mind that I won't be writing anything about theory, or the SCT study because it'll take too much of my time. If you want those things I suggest you buy the book.

Ford Perfect:

SCT is perfect for the beginner. The orginal study used elderly golfers as test subjects. There was a seperate group of seasoned bodybuilders as well. SCT is exceptionally safe because there is no range of motion and the lifts are performed in a joint's strongest range.

Robin:

Once you try the SCT you will find that maintaining the status quo is a thing of the past. The SCT method is extremely flexible as far as time constraints are concerned. At the beginner's level (which EVERYONE starts at with this program) once a week, or even less will still be productive. What's more, you'll make your gains during the rest between workouts and be ready to show it in the gym. You ALWAYS progress to heavier weights in this program. Theoretically, it's now possible to totally eliminate plateau's in your lifting carreer! The key? Sufficient rest and recovery, coupled with maximum intensity and short workouts. That's it.

Ironfist:

You are hands down the most knowledgeable, and opinionated guy on this board. You have really provided some serious motivation and food for thought over the months. Let me return the favor. I really think you could gain a lot by trying out this program. The "full reps are the best" myth is patently untrue.

Oh and yes, my squat went up 120lbs. and I did not perform an actual full range squat for over two months.

Robinf
05-08-2003, 06:27 AM
I am going to try something different, but that's because I need to build up my endurance. I've been doing the right things for my chest and arms so now I can do pushups for quite a while--which helps when I lead three classes (in each, we do pushups as part of the warmup).

My legs need endurance. I have to redo my workout. Lower the weights a bit, hold it in the contracted part for longer and release for longer--less rest time.

This stems from a couple of forms in kung fu. My cardio finally lasted, but my legs gave out. That was aggrevating.

I have to admit, though, hanging freely from the chin bar for a bit before my reps, I was able to pull off more chinups. Maybe I'll try hanging with weight, then drop the weight to pull reps.

Ford Prefect
05-08-2003, 08:07 AM
Samurai,

The reason why I say it isn't good for beginners is all scientific evidence points to isometrics (static holds) only increasing strength in the angle of the hold +15 degrees of flexion. I can see this having great effect for somebody who has already developed a lot of muscle and neurological efficiency in the full range of the movement, but the raw beginner would seem better suited to work the weight in the full range of motion to build a foundation to build off of.

Samurai Jack
05-09-2003, 11:57 AM
Ford:

The specific adaptation to imposed demands (SAID) principle of physiology (which you appear to be siting) is valid and well established. Briefly, that principle states that the body will adapt itself in a manner appropriate to the demands placed or stress placed upon it.

It should be noted, however, that this law states that there will be a s[pecificity of adaptation but NOT an exclusivity of adaptation. If the body responded with an exclusive of adaptation to imposed demands, then a person who lifted weights through a full range of motion for many years would have no static strength whatsoever because he never applied a static weight in his training.

The converse would also be true. A person who trained for years using only a static method would be incapable of lifting weight through a full range of motion, no matter how muscular he was as a result of his training!

It is obvious that the body does not work in this way. Corroberation of this can be seen in the static contraction research study, where subjects had a 60% increase in static strength over a 10 week period, but "only" a 27.6 % increase in full range lifting movements. For example, someone who could bench press 200 lbs. at the start of the study, would be able to bench about 250 lbs. WITH ONLY 10 WEEKS OF TRAINING.

So the imposed demands of static contractions provided an increase in strength that was certainly specific to static strength, but it was NOT exclusive.

The question everyone on this board needs to ask themselves should be whether you guys have seen a 27.6% improvement in your full range strength in the last 10 weeks of conventional training. If you haven't, you should consider switching to SCT.

fa_jing
05-09-2003, 12:10 PM
And I reiterate, if that is true then you will multiply all your best lifts by 3.3 within a year - which is preposterous. There has to be diminished returns for more than 10 weeks, and/or diminished returns for a more experienced lifter.

Ford Prefect
05-09-2003, 01:06 PM
Jack,

Obviously there is some carryover in everything. There are really no secrets in strength training anymore. All your muscles know is how long they've been under tension (TUT - Time Under Tension) and the intensity of that tension. (for lack of a better example; in full range movements this would be the % of 1RM) The static contraction stuff will work because:

a) Intensity - You use a weight that is WAY over your 1RM for the lift. Regardless of the range of motion, your muscles will be contracting hard. (firing a large amount of muscle fibers at once) This is actually kind of similar to its polar opposite which would be to use a very submaximal weight (50% of your 1RM) and lift as explosively as possible. This will also fire a large number of muscle fibers.

b) TUT - Time under tension is a huge part of weight training. Your body responds to TUT and the specific goals you have in mind. In general, as weights go up, TUT has to come down due to ATP supplies burning out. With static training, you can use a very heavy weight and increase the TUT dramatically because you aren't moving the weight through a ROM. In this regard, static contraction training is more useful in bodybuilding terms than in powerlifting terms.

c) Psychology - After you've spent considerable time supporting 400 lbs over your chest, unracking 225 lbs won't "feel" heavy. Static contaction training is invaluable for blowing past PR's and plateau's.

I practice forms of SCT myself. I regularly pin press (basically a close-grip bench but only move the bar 2-4") and quarter squat. I do so for the above mentioned factors that are well known to anybody well-read in exercise science, physiology, or whatever you want to call it.

That being said, I still don't feel SCT is suitable for a beginner. You have to walk before you can run. I consider SCT to be an advanced training method that should only be employed by experienced lifters because 1) they've already built strength through their ROM's 2) they have the feel of the steel. A beginner may unrack a heavy weight and hurt himself.

I wasn't doubting your training methods or anything. Could you post that workout? I'd be interested in seeing it. Thanks. ;)

Black Jack
05-09-2003, 01:35 PM
I might want to check that out as I have been stuck at my bench for it seems awhile now and our one rep max at your starting time is pretty close.

ht: 5'7
weight 178-180lbs
bench one rep max-250lbs

Can I find the info on the net?

fa_jing
05-09-2003, 01:54 PM
The powerlifter I worked with included a set, after the heavy training was over, at a lower weight where you lifted it just off of your chest for x number of seconds, then pushed it up. This was to get past the hardest sticking point which is getting it off of your chest. Sorry I don't remember how many seconds.

Ford Prefect
05-12-2003, 07:23 AM
Fajing,

That is a common technique for getting past that sticking point. The other two more popular one are:

1) 1 1/2 bench presses: Unrack the weight, bring it to your chest, push it back up but only go half way to the top, drop it back down to your chest, and then push all the way to the top.

2) Dynamic (explosive benching) Use a light weight around 50-60% your 1RM and do 8 sets of 3 explosive reps of varying bench grips. Always keep your hands inside the power rings and each rep should only be a second a two. (explosive both ways) Only rest 20-30 seconds between sets.