PDA

View Full Version : More frustration

Kumkuat
05-04-2003, 10:10 PM
just another rant about another regular gym goer. I was arguing with the guy about different overhead presses. he said that he overhead presses in different angles (bar in front of head, bar behind the neck, etc.) to work different parts of the shoulders.

I assumed he had a clue and said that yes the shoulder has 3 heads, but the overhead presses all mainly target the front head. But he said the behind the neck presses targets the back of the shoulder. I said it doesn't. he basically called me an idiot saying that since I never do behind the neck presses that I don't know what I'm talking about. Furthermore, he told me that if I did them I would feel them on the back of the shoulders. I told them just do rows or something to work the back head of the shoulder, but he said he wanted to work the pressing strength for the back part of the shoulder not pulling strength.

rubthebuddha
05-05-2003, 10:00 PM
um, last time i checked, the rear of the shoulder (posterior delt is what i'm thinkin) is used to pull the arm, when it's resting at your side, back and up, in an opposite motion from the anterior. the only way i can think that he's working his posterior delt in such a press is because it's pulling the shoulder backward to make room for the bar -- a seeminly more static flex then the pressing one, as there is no real range of motion. once the shoulder is pulled back, it stays there until the end of the set.

however, i could be wrong. it's been known to happen. :confused:

IronFist
05-06-2003, 01:13 AM
The rear delts pull the arms back, like the reverse of a pec deck motion. They don't extend the arms upward. Kumkuat was correct.

IronFist