PDA

View Full Version : Atttn: Liokault

scotty1
05-05-2003, 01:25 AM
Hey Liokault, you fight competitively right?

Do you fight Sanda, like with gloves and Sanda rules and that?

If so, do you train specifically for it, like cardio and bag drills and stuff or is just taijichuan training?

Or, is it competitive full contact taijichuan (sanshou?) and ungloved?

Just asking because I'm looking to join one Dan Docherty's schools and I'm a bit confused about the terminology and exactly what it is you do!

Cheers, Scott

scotty1
05-07-2003, 06:01 AM
ttt

Liokault
05-07-2003, 11:11 AM
Well theres a long answer and a short answer.

My Pc just delited the long answer as I was typing it so heres the short answer.

If you train hard enough in Tai Chi its the same thing.

We always fight in gloves and the only reall dirrerant thing we do pre san shou is lots and lots of stamina.

The stamina mostly takes the form of bag work and hill sprints.

I have my first set of fights for this year comming up on sunday so if you are back in the country why dont you come watch? there should be a lot going on as every obe is going to have to fight every onbe else in there weight class instead of just 1 fight.

I have to say that not every tai chi class is the same. Dan put up a guy last year for a fight who was REALLY REALLY bad and a wudang class from ireland last year put up some really bad guys.

scotty1
05-07-2003, 12:35 PM
I'd love to but I've got no money, no car and I have to find a place to live and a job.

How is fighting in gloves?

Liokault
05-07-2003, 01:03 PM
How is fighting in gloves?

Easy to get used to.

Its in north london and that cant be hard to get to....also i think it may be free to get in as its not being run as a spectator event .

scotty1
05-08-2003, 03:00 PM
Yeah still gonna be a bit busy over the next few days, but cheers for the invite.

What sort of techniques do you use (are they all possible with gloves?), how is it scored? is it more NHB type rules with chokes and stuff or more like Sanda?

That's what I mean - are you competing in Sanda type events (with lots of hitting and takedowns) using taijichuan training or is it different? Do you use boxing gloves or MMA type gloves for grabbing etc?

Cheers, and have fun on Sunday!! hope all goes well :)

Liokault
05-09-2003, 10:33 AM
Every event has its own rules but its mostly just punches kicks and take downs/sweeps/throws.

No locks (for some reason) no chockes mostly (but not always) no knees/elbows.

The other way to win is to force your opponent from the lei tei or fighting area.

Allmost every thing we do is directly Tai Chi only differance in training is stepping up stamina and we use 10 oz boxing gloves to fight.

Im a bit worried about sunday as it looks like im going to miss my weight class due to being a fat basterd.

scotty1
06-03-2003, 07:41 AM
hello

well I'm training with the Dan Docherty school in Brighton. I love it!! Only had two lessons but it's a lot of fun, and at times it's a hard workout.

How did your fights go?

Dan's coming down our way on the 14th but I'm so skint I don't know if I'll be able to go:(

Liokault
06-03-2003, 08:37 AM
LOL my fights went great....3 fights 3 wins with 1 knock out.

Glad u like the club but tell me more about it and what they are doing! Every club traind differantly so i'm always keen to find out what every ones doing.

Is it still Steve teaching there?

P.S Dan is expensive and I would personaly save the money.....sad to say but true.

scotty1
06-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Well I go to two classes. One is with a guy called Will and he "takes the middle road" between health and the martail aspects. Form, pushing hands, weapons, applications of the form, sometimes stamina. It's a cool class, in the second hour you can train what you want and he's there to help.
The Friday class is with a guy called Ian and we do pushing hands, weight punching :( , bag work (continuous shoulders, elbows and punches) and form.

But bear in mind I've only been to each lesson once! Ian is great (not to disparage Will - he's great to) but Ian is extremly martially minded and isreally into developing a usable, efficient art and testing it.

Congrats on your fights!!

One of the supplementary methods we're sposed to use to increase our external strength is wall pushing (3 times a second, 3 2 minute sets) and handstands with your arms bent (3 sets of 2 minutes). I can't even get up agsint the f-in wall man! Still, it's all good and I'm really enjoying it. Push hands is (obviously) a really hands on drill with lots of practical use.

Have you started, or do you plan to start, the Nei Gung exercises?

Doesn't using gloves impact on your 'listening' ability?

Liokault
06-04-2003, 08:30 AM
Never heard of wall pushing as part of "our" style but maybe its just somthing my teacher didnt like.

The handstands we used to do alot but we droped it when we decided it was doing more damage to peoples lower backs than any benifits from it warrented.

Have you started, or do you plan to start, the Nei Gung exercises?

Yup, long time ago.....Have you seen the jumping on the abdomen thing yet? If not ask to see it.

Doesn't using gloves impact on your 'listening' ability?

You dont just listen with your hands guy.

scotty1
06-05-2003, 05:29 AM
Can you explain that?

What types of strength training do you do?

Liokault
06-06-2003, 12:58 PM
We dont do much strength training as such....we do the thing where you hold the gjuy on your back alot, not sure if you have done that yet.

Are you asking about the abdomen jumping thing? The idea is that after 3 months doing the nei gung (internals) you should be strong enough to have a guy your own weight jump on to your gut from about shoulder height. Ask your instructor, if hes not up to it I would wonder why.

scotty1
06-09-2003, 05:16 AM
I meant what else do you listen with?

Do you mean that you can 'feel' the changes with your arms, even though your hands are gloved?

Liokault
06-09-2003, 06:14 AM
Yeah, if we go into a clinch I can tell even with gloves on more or less what hees about to do.

I can tell if hes trying to pull away to hit me, if hes trying to drop under me for a take down, if hes trying to make room for a sweep etc.

The gloves take away some of the finesse but not much, and you listen not just at the point you are touching the other guy (which can be above the glove btw) but with your whole body. For example you "listening" means you are sensitive to his weight movements, how much pressure hes putting on u, changes in height, how close he is to you etc and for all of thease you just need to be in contact with your oponent in some way.....a clinch around his neck would work just as well to "listen" with but leaves you unable to controle his hands.

So you still training?....How many in the class?

scotty1
06-11-2003, 05:42 AM
usually (only been twice) about 5 or 6 inc. the teacher.

It's great. Cheers for answering my questions, think I'll lay that issue to rest now:)

Liokault
06-11-2003, 06:25 AM
LOL just ask to see the gut jumping.....just to see if they will do it or not!!