PDA

View Full Version : MMA gloves. Hot or not?

scotty1
05-05-2003, 02:39 AM
Is there any protective padding on a MMA glove at all?

If so, how much? If not, do they just help structure your wrist?

Seeing as they're good for open hand techniques why don't we use them in CMA sparring, or do you?

Merryprankster
05-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Is there any protective padding on a MMA glove at all?

Yes, but not much. Gloves are typically around 3-4 oz. They really just keep you from getting cut--and some models don't even do that well.

If so, how much? If not, do they just help structure your wrist?

They don't really help much with structuring your wrist. Depending on the glove, there may be a long strap, but you'll only get a twice around with this. I'd hardly call that support.

Seeing as they're good for open hand techniques why don't we use them in CMA sparring, or do you?

Be prepared for any one of a number of stupid answers to this question.

jon
05-05-2003, 03:22 AM
"Seeing as they're good for open hand techniques why don't we use them in CMA sparring, or do you?"
* I do, they work exceptionly well.
Mine has a foam strip running along the palm which absorbs some of the impact with a clenched fist but this can be taken out if you wish to excecute a lot of palm strikes.

I actualy think its a crying shame more CMA dont spar using MMA gloves, they really are a brilliant at what they do.

Oh yeah they hurt like a b!tch too, darn things have very little in the way of padding.
As merry already stated there is bugger all wrist support either.

They do however badly restrict the flow of Jedi force powers, I have not been able to pull off my patented green fire balls when ive been wearing them.

MasterKiller
05-05-2003, 06:23 AM

I've asked my Sifu about using these because it is next to impossible to perform Chin Na or any type of decent grabbing technique while wearing traditional foam gloves.

He agrees that the MMA gloves are better, but says his insurance forces him to make us wear foam-padded gloves in the school. I think you'd see more black eyes and bruises with the MMA gloves, which might not be such a bad thing.

Shaolin-Do
05-05-2003, 06:28 AM
Masterkiller- Im in the same situation, so Im buying kempo gloves. (they have fingers so you can grab, but they are still padded like normal big ass gloves)

those mma gloves would make for much more "realistic" training....

MasterKiller
05-05-2003, 06:51 AM
You got a link thats shows Kempo gloves?

Shaolin-Do
05-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Erm... I could find one.
They are thick, padding goes all the way down all fingers, rawhide style leather covers your palms, so its still easy to grab people when they sweat :)
One sec, Ill start digging up a link

Shaolin-Do
05-05-2003, 07:16 AM
http://www.karatedepot.com/tr-gl-70.html

Theres just one set
they sell different styles tho....
Anyhow, Im out to go do stores.
Hope that helps.
Ill be on later in the week to check in on you crazy b@st@rds.

MasterKiller
05-05-2003, 07:30 AM
Sweet.

scotty1
05-05-2003, 07:46 AM
"Oh yeah they hurt like a b!tch too, darn things have very little in the way of padding.
As merry already stated there is bugger all wrist support either"

Useful conditioning do you think, or not enough support for repeated strikes?

OdderMensch
05-05-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by jon
Mine has a foam strip running along the palm which absorbs some of the impact with a clenched fist but this can be taken out if you wish to excecute a lot of palm strikes.
Oh, is that what that thing was for :) it came off right awat on my gloves.

I actualy think its a crying shame more CMA dont spar using MMA gloves, they really are a brilliant at what they do.

True

[qote]Originally posted by Merryprankster [/quote]
They don't really help much with structuring your wrist. Depending on the glove, there may be a long strap, but you'll only get a twice around with this. I'd hardly call that support

Yeah, that lack of support is what I love about them. It allows me to still use my wrist for circling manuvers. I wrap mine real loose, just so it doesn't fly off.

LEGEND
05-05-2003, 04:30 PM
If u do spar with the MMA gloves...make sure u go LIMITED POWER or u'll kill your sparring partner. The other solution is get the ITECH facemask and attach it to a FOAM DIPPED helmet. U still have to hit at minimum power though but at least u guys can TRAP or GRAPPLE.

LEGEND
05-05-2003, 04:34 PM
Shaolin Do...
www.realmartialarts.com
They sale does JKD gloves for $30 with VELCRO straps.

Ray Pina
05-06-2003, 06:31 AM
I was at a tournament in PA a week ago were MMA gloves and open head gear were the game ... no other gear.

Kind of brutal. I started out with boxing gloves (you could use them if you wanted) but after my first few fights I felt like I was taking bigger shots then my oponants because I had a pillow on my hand. I switched later.

This is what I found: No doubt much more brutal to hit with but if you fully strap them on they limit your wrist flexibility for delivering short range palm strikes (bear and eagle for Hsing-I folks).

I'm not really concerend with Chi Na so it wasn't a factor. The boxing gloves have an advantage as well. They offer more shielding surface area and protect the hand when striking kicks.

You can still do damage with them too. My first fight was stopped from a solid blow.

I kind of thought that format was a littlebrutal -- MMA gloves, open head gear. One fight wouldn't be too bad, but a few ... Jeeze. Felt like I did 5 shots of the hard stuff when all was said and done and had to go to the locker to change.

I learned I need more conditioning if I want to make a serious MMA run.

jon
05-06-2003, 07:35 AM
"Useful conditioning do you think, or not enough support for repeated strikes?"
* Im more a Bagua player so i actualy favor palms over fists, having said that ive used them for long hard bag sessions and never had a problem.

There is not a great load of 'support' to be found from them but thats actualy part of the reason i like them. I like good punching alignment and im not big on protective devices which allow you to cheat to much.

Still they do give a little 'extra' to feel of punching and im a fan of them for light to medium contact sparring mainly. The also rock for any type of pad or bag work.

Others have already stated this several times but they can *really* do damage if your not carefull. My advice is keep *full* contact sparring in them to a minimum unless you dont mind walking around with a face that looks like a dropped pie.