PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Kung Fu clubs in Toronto, Canada...

ghoniba
05-06-2003, 09:22 AM
Hi Gang

I would appreciate any suggestions on legitimate Kung-Fu clubs here in Toronto, Canada or where I might look. I find it very hard to do as many of the clubs appear to be on a cash grab or I just don't know how authentic they are.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you, Glenn

ursa major
05-06-2003, 09:33 AM
How far are you willing to travel in Toronto ? What about travel in the GTA ?

What style are you interested in ? Southern, Northern ? Hard, soft, grappling, etc ?

UM.

ghoniba
05-06-2003, 09:56 AM
UM

To be quite honest with you, I am not sure what style I like. This may sound silly as I am a 'newbie' , but I can tell you that I like the Dragon, Crane, Praying Mantis styles for starters. What region/ catagorie would these styles considered to be in?

Thank you, Glenn

Skarbromantis
05-06-2003, 10:45 AM
www.martialartmantis.com

In Toronto, Scarborough, 7 Star Praying Mantis, 8th Generation Grandmaster, as authentic as it gets.

Skard1

bob10
05-06-2003, 03:37 PM
If you want to see a great teacher then visit the Russian Martial Art School at Thornhill.

Vladimir Vasiliev is an amazing martial artist and the school is very friendly.

http://www.russianmartialart.com

cheers

count
05-06-2003, 03:49 PM
http://bajimen.com/
Excellent, traditional Chinese Martial arts in Toronto. Baji, Piqua, 6 harmonies praying mantis, bagua and more. These are the best Northern styles taught by James Guo, a desciple of Grandmaster Liu Yun Qiao.

ghoniba
05-06-2003, 05:01 PM
Hi Gang

Thank you all very much for the suggestions, this gives me something to go on.

This seems like a great forum. I can't believe how quickly the answers get posted on here, must have something to do with the quick reflexes of the folks that are here! Not like the AV forum I'm used to!

Glenn

carly
05-06-2003, 05:03 PM
Here's one more:
Jack Yan's five elements tong bei school,
http://www.taishanclub.com/
and clips of five elements tong bei style
http://www.tongbei.com/mov/index.html

Ben Gash
05-07-2003, 04:27 AM
Hong Luck Choy Li Fut and Do Pi.
www.hongluck.org

David Jamieson
05-07-2003, 05:28 AM
There are a few clubs to attend here in the city.

If you take a walk through old chinatown (spadina) you'll find the Hong Luk school on Dundas st and the Jing Mo school on Augusta and the National Fut Gar school on Kensington.

If you go up to Scarborough, you'll find sunny tang's school. You can also find the double dragon school if you are into a more westernized fair but still kungfu.

If you go into Markham you will find a few of the more obscure less known schools.
If you want the official Shaolin Temple curriculum, then Cheung Wah school has that. If you want Wu Tai Chi, then that's down on Queen street. There is lots of martial arts study to learn and practice here in Toronto. It really depends on what you want.

There are so many choices here. You really just have to find out where you are comfortable. Set aside a few nights to go and visit schools and watch. If you find one where you are comfortable and interested then make your choice.

cheers

Taomonkey
05-07-2003, 07:09 AM
I would do my best to avoid the S.udden A.ction R.esponse S.chool
I've heard that SARS is all over Toronto, aparrently this schools students just hang around on surfaces waiting to F you up.
Best yet just learn to fling a back bacon around in one hand and a empty molsen in the other, most canuks are most adept at this style.

Take Off, to the Great White North
Take Off, its a beauty way to go
Take Off, to teh Great White North

Hoser

David Jamieson
05-07-2003, 07:13 AM
I was gonna say something TaoMonkey, but then I see your from Oklahoma.

So, you're excused for your remarks. LOL :D

cheers

Taomonkey
05-07-2003, 07:30 AM
We perfer the Japenese Version

Okrahoma

little sleep deprived today

David Jamieson
05-07-2003, 07:32 AM
wouldn't okrahoma be in georgia? and oprahoma is in illinois?

cheers

MasterKiller
05-07-2003, 07:43 AM
OU Sooners, represent in the hizz-ouse.

or is that O-ru Sooners?

Taomonkey
05-07-2003, 07:47 AM
BOOMER

Taomonkey
05-07-2003, 10:10 AM
Sooner

MasterKiller your slackin, thats your line

MasterKiller
05-07-2003, 10:15 AM
d@mn!

I would have gotten that if we were in Dallas. My friends and I like to walk through the west end on Saturday nights singing "Boomer Sooner."

:D

ghoniba
05-07-2003, 10:25 AM
Kung Lek

Thank you for the advice. I think that from what I understand, if I understand correctly, Wing Chun incorporates many of the 'animal' styles that I like ( dragon, crane etc. is this correct?). I think that I would like to approach clubs that teach this style of Kung Fu.

Anything else I should consider if one likes the animal styles? Is Praying Mantis something else again?

The various names of the different styles I find rather confusing, not all that descriptive!

Is there a history chart some where that shows how the various styles developed?

Thanks again, Glenn

Skarbromantis
05-07-2003, 10:46 AM
The Praying Mantis system is a complete system not just a "style" within a system, and very diffrent then the 5 Animals of Shaolin.

Check the Praying Mantis forum on this site for more info on the system.

Skard1

David Jamieson
05-07-2003, 01:26 PM
well skarbro goes to the mantis school as he mentioned.

for sure he would have more info on it than me.

But seriously, take your time, look around, get the feel of a school.
You could even read the what to look for in a kungfu school (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/info/schoolguide.php) article in this site.
It's a pretty fair assessment.

The animals of wing chun as I understand are Snake and Crane.
It's a good short boxing style. It is also popular and there are many schools. As Kung Fu goes, you can learn the style pretty quickly, but again as it is with all styles of chinese martial arts, they take some time to get good at.

cheers and good luck.

BatesMotel
05-07-2003, 01:42 PM
I've heard about The Jing Mo Kung Fu club in Toronto.

Sifu James Lore is the head of the Jing Mo Kung Fu Club in Toronto, Ontario. The Jing Mo Kung Fu club teaches the Hung Gar style of Kung fu.

The Jing Mo club was started in the 1960s when the government gave a grant for the Chinese community. Sifu Lore was one of the first Canadian martial arts teachers to teach Kung fu to non-chinese students.

carly
05-07-2003, 06:54 PM
Its current teacher seems to be an Irish stick fighter:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/GlenDoyle/index.html

David Jamieson
05-08-2003, 06:06 AM
carly-

Glen Doyle can hardly be brushed off as an "Irish Stick Fighter":rolleyes:

cheers

carly
05-08-2003, 11:42 AM
and I wasn't "brushing him off".