PDA

View Full Version : Can't make up my mind....Please help!

ghoniba
05-06-2003, 09:30 AM
Hi Gang

I took Karate years ago, and I am thinking about getting back into martial arts now that I have a daughter that can particpate. I love the smooth fluid Kung-Fu style. I realize this is a Kung-Fu forum, but can anyone draw a comparison between Karate and Kung-Fu? I am trying to make a decision between the two and can't make up my mind! Any thoughts positive or negative about the two styles? ( I realize they both take on many forms!) Anything you can tell me to sway me one way or another?

One other question, Is there one form of Kung-Fu that is 'generic' if I can use the term or do they all incorporate animal forms in one way or another? Is Praying Mantis style something all on it's own?

Really confused, I'd appreciate any feedback. Thank you, Glenn

Robinf
05-06-2003, 10:32 AM
What kind of karate did you study?

I can put into some words the difference between TKD and kung fu in general. TKD is like printing while kung fu is like cursive handwriting.

Both get the message across. Both can look equally beautiful. But each is quite different and speaks to different people.

Some people feel that cursive handwriting is more difficult because each letter needs to be distinguishable while being attached.

Some people feel that printing is more difficult because each letter is separate and making them appear to be together to communicate is tough.

It all depends on the person.

apoweyn
05-06-2003, 10:45 AM
I can put into some words the difference between TKD and kung fu in general. TKD is like printing while kung fu is like cursive handwriting.

Both get the message across. Both can look equally beautiful. But each is quite different and speaks to different people.

Wow. Consider that analogy 'yoinked.' *Yoink*

Stuart B.

count
05-06-2003, 11:01 AM
I like your analogy Robin!

ghoniba, I faced the same issue with a daughter, now 13 years old. The age is a factor. TKD or Karate are well suited, in this country, for children. They are more systemized with levels and goals that are more recognizable to children. There are probably more children in the classes for them to "play with" too. Kung fu is generally to hard and boring for kids. Also, you will be able to help her more with your background.

To answer your other question, there are maybe 300 styles of Chinese Martial Arts that would fit into the catagory of kung-fu. That doesn't even include Modern Wushu which is loosley based in traditional styles. Not all styles use animals.

norther practitioner
05-06-2003, 11:50 AM
A big factor should be the schools in your area. How far are you willing to drive? What styles are in your area, how are the instructors, is it overly commercial, is it under-commercial...

As far as styles go most are fairly specific. There are actually several different praying mantis styles, there is (one or two) southern styles, tai chi mantis, 7 star mantis, 8 step mantis, etc.

As a general rule in chinese martial arts, the southern styles tend to emphasize more hand work than the northern styles, where as the northern styles will practice more foot work and kicking.
Hence the saying northern foot, southern fist, or northern kick, southern punch.

There are many schools out there now in cma that also combine curriculmns.

Kristoffer
05-06-2003, 12:03 PM
If I had kids I'd never let them train Karate! I personally dislike the methods of punching in the arts compared to CMA. In general karatekas become very stiff wich is bad. I'd go for Taekwando to develop some good controlled kicking abillities wich could come in handy if the kid ever wants to learn real fighting methods from CMA, western methods or fullcontact sports etc.. And if your child is young he will prob. like TKD better (more fun)

Just some thoughts. ~Good Luck~

ghoniba
05-06-2003, 05:10 PM
Thank you all very much for your replies, most helpful. count,

I appreciate your insight, sounds like you were in the same boat as I! My daughter is 7.

Thank you, Glenn

joedoe
05-06-2003, 05:17 PM
I have a good friend who trained for 10 years in Shotokan, then switched to the style of kung fu I train in. It took him years to change his karate habits. Having said that, I think the hardness of the karate also conditioned him well. Softening up was mostly a psychological exercise.

My very biased opinion is to go with a good kung fu school ;)

Ultimately though, as long as it is a good school then it doesn't matter what you train.

Laughing Cow
05-06-2003, 05:21 PM
I would say visit as many schools in your area and possible and see what appeals to you.

The style that you enjoyed a few years back might no longer suit you now.

Cheers.

count
05-06-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by ghoniba
Thank you all very much for your replies, most helpful. count,

I appreciate your insight, sounds like you were in the same boat as I! My daughter is 7.

Thank you, Glenn
Only difference was I had no background in TKD. Only CMA. I had to get another black belt just to keep up with her.:D Now she wants to invade my class:( Just kidding, I just don't think she'd enjoy it as much.