PDA

View Full Version : density and joints…

Suntzu
05-06-2003, 09:42 AM
2 questions…

OK was watching K-1 the other day… no gay sh!t… but those dudes had legs of steel… now from a weight training POV… can hard as rock muscle density possible… minus size… just super human steel-ness… leg kicks become a hot knife thru butter… or is it mainly a conditioning thing... kick the bag... kick the pads...

next up joint stability…let say for protecting the elbow joint for example… working the tri, bi's and whatever the forearm muscle is called… is it just the added growth in the muscle that helps stabilize the joint area… do the connective tissue undergo true hypertrophy??? do u build up the muscle surrounding the joint(BB style) or is it a matter of strengthening the ROM(5x5 or singles or some such)???

Former castleva
05-06-2003, 10:58 AM
Joints should strengthen from practice but stronger muscles will definitely help protect them and fight injuries.
Weighttraining is possibly the best possible way to develop bone (and of course connective tissues tend to follow.A little bias,but with hard science)
Personally I can hardly think of someone working for connective tissue (ligament/tendon) itself.

Kumkuat
05-06-2003, 10:59 AM
for the muscle density thing, I think myofibrillar hypertrophy helps in making the muscle more dense. But for being able to cut through legs like butter, it's probably due to conditioning as well.

For joint stablitiy, I'm thinking it's combination of strong connective tissue and the muscles surrounding it.

Suntzu
05-06-2003, 11:43 AM
Good stuff

I think myofibrillar hypertrophy helps in making the muscle more dense. WHOA!!! big word alert... naw but seriuosly...

Personally I can hardly think of someone working for connective tissue (ligament/tendon) itself. i was thinking more in line with... what could be the best way to train with connective tissue in mind... say u have a bad elbow... tennis elbow or some sh!t... would it be more beneficial to "GROW" the surrounding muscle(which will strengthen the joint as a by product... maybe)... or maybe use heavy singles/doubles... whatever to strengthen the ROM... PTP style... i dont know... just a thot to help a boring day move along a lil faster...