PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for someone in poor health to still be good?

phantom
05-06-2003, 11:34 AM
Many people claim no, especially in the case of martial sports. However, there are some people who have proven to be exceptions to the rule. I read about a middle-aged guy with high cholesterol who trains in mauy thai, and I think he even spars full-contact once in awhile. I believe that he even claimed that his cholesterol levels got lowered ever since he started his training. There is a guy with one arm who studies bjj, I think he may even be a member of the Gracie family. Bill Wallace got a permanent leg injury, yet he was still able to be one of the greatest kickboxers of all-time. A Japanese karate master had a heart attack a few years ago, yet he still does public demonstrations of breaking boards. There is an MMA instructor in Minnesota who has a certain type of cancer that doctors have not come up with a name for yet, yet he still works hard with his students. So is there really any type of illness or injury that is an automatic death sentence for m.a. training? Thanks in advance.

norther practitioner
05-06-2003, 11:36 AM
Anything respritory sucks....

Robinf
05-06-2003, 11:50 AM
Many people will be able to do anything. That said, however, these illnesses would take practice away:

MS (multiple sclorosis)
Parkinsons
A severe stroke would limit abilities
Alzheimers
obviously being quadroplegic