PDA

View Full Version : Animal Forms and MA body type

ElPietro
08-06-2001, 09:30 PM
Hey guys had a question that may or may not have a simple answer. Of all the animal styles are specific styles better or worse to use depending on body type. Such as say you are average height, stocky build is there a style that is more or less advantageous. If someone can list the different animal forms and what body types best suit these forms that would be great. Again I don't know if there is a definite answer to this question but any input/discussion would be appreciated. Thanks.

honorisc
08-07-2001, 05:30 AM
tiger--big build, stocky, muscular

leopard--average build

dragon--average build

snake--limber, slight or average build.

crane--average to slight build

monkey--average build, limber

Mantis--average build, weak

Eagle Claw--avearge build

monkey--tall, average, stocky, flexible

dog--average

duck--average

elephant--big build, strong

Toad--big, stocky build

Lizard--average build

Theoretically the animal styles require certain attributes to be done well. But body type doesn't matter much because doing the style can change the practitioner to fit those attributes. What I've presented here are theoretical stereotypes. Almost any body type can do any animal style. It's the attributes that matter. If the bodytype can do the attribute, it should be O.K.

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

Lost_Disciple
08-07-2001, 10:12 AM
Lemme first say that I really agree with everything No_Know wrote; I just wanted to add something.

Mantis can be played many different ways and there are various different flavors of mantis. If you wanna look at Seven Star as the flagship though, you might want to include that there have been a LOT very good, large sized mantis practisioners:
Fan Yuk Tong (lineage carrier) over 300 pounds
Lo Kwan Yu (lineage carrier) 6 foot tall, 200
This could go on for a while
It's a pretty even distribution of really great larger and smaller sized practisioners of Seven Star Mantis. Seven Star is not the only branch of mantis however and it varies from style to style.

Sorry to be picky :)

Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.

Fu-Pow
08-07-2001, 10:50 PM
leopard- flexible arm/shoulder joints

tiger-strong forearms, stockier build

snake-?

crane-agile feet, long reach

dragon-?

monkey-smaller build, flexibility

mantis-?

Fu-Pow

http://www.fongs-kungfu.de/assets/images/lionhead.gif

"Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu does not encourage its students to abuse or harm others with no reason. Nevertheless, in times when Kung Fu must be performed, Choy Lay Fut requires the student to change from a gentleman into a fierce and cold fighter."

-Lee Koon Hung,
CLF:The Dynamic Art of Fighting

The Willow Sword
08-09-2001, 10:36 PM
that you gear your emotional state to whatever animal you wish to emulate. i really do not think that it matters that much WHAT build you have as long as the style is done to fit your own prowess and emotion. obviously a big guy with lots of muscles is gonna have an advantage doing tiger style say than that of a avergae built person. HOWEVER, the intent with in can really state whether or not physics is on the big guys side OR quickness and agility AND AN understanding of physics is on his side. but here are my stats for the animal styles;
Tiger: any build and size
dragon: any build and size but flexable.
crane: tall, flexible, perfect womans style
leapoard: any build and size but agile and quick.
Snake: absolutley any build and size.
mantis: tall slender medium build.
monkey: short, small,, quick and tenacious.
drunken: ALL builds and ALL sizes.
here are my mindsets for the animal styles mentioned.
TIGER: Reactionary, fight or flight.fierce
dragon: smart,,intelligent,,savage.
Crane: Evasive,,arrogant,,proud.
Mantis: no thought no conscience, attack attack attack.
lepoard: snooty, *****y, elegantly agile,,and faster than a **** in the wind.
monkey: cowardly,,confusing,, constanly circleing,,impatient...runs you into a frenzy.
Drunken: UNPREDICTABLE,,,slouch,,,chi is in the testicles and shoots out the ass. hahahaha hic.
Many respects,,Willow sword

Whatever you think i am or want me to be,,, i am.
oh and,,,Jesus loves you, everyone else thinks you are an a$.