PDA

View Full Version : Burn Fat

Mr. Horse
05-08-2003, 05:10 AM
I am a little chubby. I want to burn fat quickly. What should I do? What should I eat? Real answers please.

Thank you.

stubbs
05-08-2003, 05:35 AM
i think you know what you need to do but your looking for a shortcut.

for a start, try posting here what you eat on a typical day, see if we can clean that up a bit first.

do you exercise?

stubbs
________
2006 LEXUS CUP HISTORY (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/2006_Lexus_Cup)

Mr. Horse
05-08-2003, 05:52 AM
Well, I don't eat breakfast. If I eat a large lunch I eat a small dinner, and vise versa.

I usually eat mix of:

Pasta
Fried Chicken
Hamburgers
tuna fish with mayo
yakiniku
Sauce katsudon
Icecream
most vegatables

I exercise 2 to 3 times a week. Mostly cardio.

I know I eating Habits are bad. However, I don't know much about diets and stuff.

David Jamieson
05-08-2003, 06:28 AM
mr. Horse-

A high fibre / low fat diet with continued exercise will reduce your overall fat levels.

You do need some types of fats, those being unsaturated fats. Like meat fat etc.

Ease off the processed food and stay away from fast food almost entirely because it is loaded with badness for the human body.

There are many publications out there regarding a better diet, caloric restriction, etc, etc.

There is always weight watchers (which really works!) too.
As a self directed change in eating habits, I would have to say that weight watchers is one of the very best programs you can get into. I've personally seen it work and work wonders for people I know over the last couple of years.

cheers

Robinf
05-08-2003, 06:33 AM
What time of day do you work out?

How tall are you? How much fat do you want to lose (percentage)? How old are you?

What do you do for cardio and how long at each workout? Do you weight train at all? Do you do any other working out?

In short, though,
It's not a diet, you just need to change what you eat and measure what you eat.

Pasta and stuff like that are fine in moderation. One half cup COOKED is one serving.

Mr. Horse
05-08-2003, 06:47 AM
Thanks KL! But high fiber? Wont I be be f a r ting up a storm?:D

Robinf,

I am 26% body fat and I want to get rid of all of it (if possible). I am 5'11" (180 cm) For two days I play basketball hour and a half each day. An d one day of kung fu (long fist) for 45 mins to an hour. I want to train more but I moved out to Japan and it is hard to train alone. I don't lift.

Robinf
05-08-2003, 07:18 AM
A cardio workout it is one where you keep your heart rate between 65 - 80 % of your max (220 - age, then multiply by .65 and .8 to get your target range) for at least 20 minutes consecutive to start--then thirty and on up. Basketball should do it unless you rest a lot of that hour and a half.

Is there one more day when you can practice your kung fu for a half an hour?

You cannot lose all of your body fat--0% body fat is the skeleton. Men look to be around 12 - 15%? (IronFist or Ford, help me on that) To cut down in bodyfat, you need to put on muscle. Body weight exercises should do it. 3X per week--sit ups, pushups, squats, lunges, etc. Hold on to water jugs for added weight if you want.

Cut down on the mayo and fried foods--go more for grilled, broiled or baked. Remove the skin before eating. That goes for fried chicken, too (but, then what's the point of eating fried chicken?) For good fats, look to nuts and seeds. But, in moderation. Cut down on the ice cream. Don't cut stuff out completely, though. Everything can be worked in.

How's this for a start?

Kung Lek,

You're right about Weight Watchers. I've had many friends successfully lose weight and keep it off using that program. I compared it to what I did on my own and it was the same--except they do all the math for you that I had to do on my own.

monkey mind
05-08-2003, 08:10 AM
It's important for you to change not just what you eat (along the lines of robinf's & kung lek's suggestions) but how many calories as well. If your caloric intake remains the same even though you're eating healthier foods, you may be healthier but not necessarily thinner/lighter. Of course, you can eat the same amount if your substantially increase your level of exercise, but just working out a little more here & there won't make the difference you're looking for unless you simply eat less (and better) food. Good luck.

fa_jing
05-08-2003, 08:51 AM
more cardio. more days a week. Take up jogging.

stubbs
05-08-2003, 08:55 AM
and start eating breakfast!!! don't skip breakfast, it helps kickstart your metabolism for the day.

make the suggested changes very gradual or you'll probably find it too hard too soon and give up after a while if you try and completely change your lifestyle overnight
________
Vapir Oxygen Vaporizer (http://oxygenvaporizer.com)

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-08-2003, 10:53 AM
just kill yourself you tubby ba stard.

IronFist
05-08-2003, 07:16 PM
Look at the pics I posted. I'm about 8% in there. Abs become visible around 10%. I really don't know what most guys shoot for, maybe 14-10%?

IronFist

Jodo
05-09-2003, 08:38 AM
I know how you feel Mr.Horse I use to be the same until I came to this forum and started asking question like yours. Robinf and the others really helped me and in the last two months I've lost atleast 10 lbs. and gained a good amount of muscle (still loosing wait too ^_^)

I hope you are satisfied with some of the regular members help and suggestions, have fun, PEACE!!!

Mr. Horse
05-09-2003, 08:39 AM
Oh yes. Thanks all!

ewallace
05-09-2003, 08:59 AM
One point I'd like to emphasize, since it has worked for me, is to gradually make the changes. Don't try to reform yourself overnight, unless that really does work for you. It is difficult to switch from food that you think tastes good (bugers, fried chicken...etc) to steamed veggies, and stick with it. If you are having a hard time with it, start small. For instance, if you absolutely have to eat fast food, and you usually supersize everything, don't supersize it. Also substitute water or tea (with artificial sweetner) for soda. Try to skip the fries too. Also try to eat slow. When you scarf down a meal in five minutes, you may still feel hungry. After about twenty minutes you probably won't feel hungry. Try to make the grub last a while.

Note the above is personal experience and in no way reflects medical or intelligent statements. :)

fa_jing
05-09-2003, 09:01 AM
Eating too fast is a common problem. Put down your fork and breathe between bites.

Cyborg
05-09-2003, 01:55 PM
If your schedule permits eat 5 small meals a day. And I really advocate lifting heavy weights as well as the cardio as muscle is always burning calories even at rest.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-09-2003, 08:46 PM
"Also try to eat slow. When you scarf down a meal in five minutes, you may still feel hungry. After about twenty minutes you probably won't feel hungry. Try to make the grub last a while."

i haven't actually tried to lose weight before, but that really does work for not eating so much. also eat until you are satisfied and then just chill for a bit. you wont be hungery after 10 to 20 minutes like the dude said.

still think you should kill yourself though.

Mr. Horse
05-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Thanx fo da info bros!

Laughing Cow
05-09-2003, 10:15 PM
Mr Horse.

If you are in Japan try to head over to the E-Budo forum and speak to some of the guys there.
Some of teh guys also got some good ideas for reducing weight.
;)

I am sure you will find someone close by to either train or spar together. Most of the guys are very open-minded and don't mind sharing info with other styles.

There also Tui-Shou and similar groups that meet on an informal basis once a week, etc.
Or hit the local part early in the morning on weekends, you should find some guys exercising.

If you are in one of the bigger cities like Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka or similar you should also have a fairly good access to CMA and other styles.

I know that a few renowned CMA Masters hold regular seminars and visits to Japan.

Most of the MA in Japan is not widely advertised, but beware the McDojo to good Kwoon ratio is about the same as everywhere else.
This counts for JMA, CMA, KMA, FMA and anything else.

iron thread
05-09-2003, 10:40 PM
Eat breakfast to split up your caloric intake if not for the early boost of energy, eating a heavy lunch can get you lazy, and tired the rest of the day. I'm wondering after reading your list, where's the fruit? That's the easy part, fruits are sweet. They also have virtually no fat, and generally low cal.

For training, it is good to start a weight training program. When doing any type of strength training routine, weights or not, the important thing to remember is being fair to your body by exercising your entire body, and alternate routines once in a while to promote results. But cardio workouts should be your main concern for losing bodyfat. You have to be consistent, don't quit on yourself. At least 30 mins. a day for 3 days a week would be a good guideline to start out with. It is good to seperate these days so you can rest your muscles, it is not good to work with sore muscles.

0% bodyfat is not a good idea. Fat is essential to your body, afterall it is one of three sources of energy, and is the most concentrated one--fat produces a little more than twice the energy carbohydrates (i'll get to carbs later) produces. Without a source of fat, you will have a fatty acid, one of two components fats break down to, the other being glycerol, deficiency. Fat in your body works with cell membranes, nerve cells, and prostaglandins. Without them, you can't have a healthy immune system. Without them, you can't keep at bay many of the regular functions of your body. Just don't go crazy on getting your fat. A good rule is, and this applies to all of your diet (diet doesn't mean to lose weight, diet means what you eat), EAT IN MODERATION.

Carbohydrates are your main source of energy, you have complex carbs like starch and simple carbs like sugar. Stay away from simple carbs, they are empty calories, which means they provide no nutrients. Sugar like this is found in candies and such of that nature. Starch is found in grains like rice, pasta, and bread.

A guy's general goal, eh? I'd say 8-15%. Different tests resulted different, for me at least, but it remains in the 8-10% range.

IronFist
05-10-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by iron thread

0% bodyfat is not a good idea.

Or possible :D

IronFist

Becca
05-10-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Horse
Well, I don't eat breakfast. If I eat a large lunch I eat a small dinner, and vise versa.

I usually eat mix of:

Pasta
Fried Chicken
Hamburgers
tuna fish with mayo
yakiniku
Sauce katsudon
Icecream
most vegatables

Try rice instead of pasta; pasta has alot of refined stuff in it, and the body tends to store highly refined stuff as fat. The tuna is great but mayo is nothing but eggs and oil whipped up untill it is thick. Would you deliberatly eat a table spoon of oil every time you eat a sandwich? Try sour cream spreads instead. ( mix 16oz tub fat free sour cream, 2 tbl sp lemon juice, a tsp each of finely chopped chives, onions, and basil) It's not any lower in cals but Much better in every other area and your sandwich won't be dry.) As far as everything else, keep it in moderation and it's OK. But instead of buttering your veggies, try butter flovored seasonings. Peas and grean beans are absolutly wonderfull if you nuke 'em with a pinch of garden mint.

Leimeng
05-11-2003, 10:25 PM
~ A while back I went on a low carb/high protein diet. I kept my carb intake to about 50 grams a day after one week of 10 grams a day. I lost 38 lbs in less than two months. I kept most of it off until I found an italian bakery in town that make their own bread and pasta fresh every day. Yummy!
~ I did not significantly change my exercise routine either with that. I suspect that if I had added an hour or so of cardio work a day I would have lost even more.
~ On another occasion I previous to the afor mentioned one, I have used Xenadrine and Hydroxycuts for a four month period used before my standard 45 min of cardio a day and lost quite a bit then as well.
~ Diet is a major part of any weight control problem.
~ The other big thing that helps any diet and weight control is LOTS of water. I drink about a gallon a day. I think if you are not ****ing about 8 times a day or more, you are not drinking enough.
~ The other big thing to think about is why do you want to loose weight? Are you concerned about your health? Or about how you look when you are in speedos on the beach? If you are concerned about health, then loose weight! If you are just concerned about looks, chill out, learn to dress for your body type and develop some self esteem.

Peace,

Sin Loi

Yi Beng, Kan Xue

Serpent
05-11-2003, 10:57 PM
Self-esteem be ****ed. If you're overweight then it's not healthy, so get fit and shed the lard. People with the "I'm fat and I'm proud" attitude p!ss me off.

;)

TzuChan
05-12-2003, 02:42 AM
[off topic] How tall is 5'10 in cm ?

Mr. Horse
05-12-2003, 03:04 AM
About 178.5 cm

TzuChan
05-12-2003, 03:14 AM
Aah thanks man, you don't wanne know how long that 5'10 has been bugging me :)

Btw about burning fat, I asked the same thing (not as much as you though) and they told me to ride a bike in the morning (home trainer or something, or just a bike .. running etc..) before you ate anything, I think (but I could be imagining this) that my abs are comming through a little better already.

TigerJaw
05-12-2003, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by TzuChan
Aah thanks man, you don't wanne know how long that 5'10 has been bugging me :)

For future ref. and for anybody who doesn't know but does care. There are 12" (inches) in 1' (foot) and 1 " = approx 2.54 cm.

5'10" = 70 " = approx 178cm

TzuChan
05-12-2003, 10:23 AM
Thank you, saved it in a txt file :)